Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Friday, September 09, 2011

Author Interview ~ Serita A. Jakes


Serita A. Jakes, also known as the “First Lady” of The Potter’s House based in Dallas, has been involved in Christian ministry all of her adult life and has worked along side her husband throughout their nearly 30-year marriage. Their work with the church includes extensive outreach to the needy. They couple raised three sons and two daughters.



What two or three things would you do differently if you were starting your publishing career today?

The things that I would do differently have such commonality. I would have started writing at an earlier age to my generation and to my parent's generation. I now find myself gifted with the rare opportunity to write generationally - to my children, my peers, and my children's children.



What one issue makes you struggle the most as an author? How do you handle it?

The weaker strength that I struggle with is the ability to accurately depict the emotional state of every individual involved. Passion is experienced in such a wide array of expressions.



What is the best writing (or life) advice you have ever heard or wished you had followed? Why?

I've often wrestled on stage and in print with sharing my heart without giving all of my heart away. Once you become totally transparent there is a vulnerability that ensues that bares even the scars that are yet healing. There are few people who should be exposed and even fewer who can handle wounded physicians.



What one issue ignites your passion? Does your passion fuel your writing? What would you do with your life if you didn't write?

Human struggle ignites passion in my heart - I want to write about about it! I want to see it enacted through dance, through drama - when I can't write about it - I want to cradle it with loving arms until the wrestling is resolved ...

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us, Serita.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Once you become totally transparent there is a vulnerability that ensues that bares even the scars that are yet healing."

    So true! Thanks for sharing your heart with us. All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Serita… so excited that you have taken your powerful ministry into that arena of "gentle missionaries" (those fictional characters who are sometimes the only ones hurting people will open up to). May the anointing upon THE CROSSING move like a cool, gentle breeze over countless souls. Meantime, here's wishing you many blessings and continued success with whatever else you "put your hand to," as well.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.