Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Sunday, May 29, 2011

A Matter of Perspective By Anita Mellott

Tourists buzzed around the deck, and cameras flashed as the Statue of Liberty came into view. As I moved up to get a better look at the towering edifice, I swallowed against an unexpected lump in my throat. 


What went through the minds of the boat-loads of immigrants when they first saw Lady Liberty? Did they fight tears like me? What hopes and dreams welled up in their hearts as they approached the shores of New York?


Despite the flurry of tourists around me, I stood quietly drinking in the majesty of this symbol of hope and new life. Ten minutes later, when the engines revved and the boat moved away from the island, I was the only one left at the prow of the boat. I watched as the gigantic statue soon became a speck on the horizon. I guess it’s all a matter of perspective, I thought as we passed under the Brooklyn Bridge.
“Sometimes that’s what happens to God’s presence in your life.” As the whisper sounded in my heart, I shivered.
Then I remembered the countless times I reach for my computer rather than my Bible when I awake. Or how more often than not, when confronted with a problem, I reach for the phone to call a prayer partner rather than dropping to my knees. Or the times when my attempts to meet a deadline steal my time with Him.


“But, Lord I want your presence to envelop me, to overwhelm me even more than the sight of the Statue of Liberty.” As a deep yearning welled up within me, I remembered the verse, “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls” (Matthew 11:28-29).  


The King of all Kings, the One who spoke this world into being, invites me to tarry with Him, to know Him, to fellowship with Him. The moisture from the spray wasn’t the only thing that wet my cheeks at those life-changing words. 
“Lord, forgive me for losing my perspective. You, who are the Creator of all, the One besides whom there is no other, and whose majesty has no equal, You call me to lay my burdens before You, to give me rest. Help me seek You above all else. May I know what it is to learn of You and rest in Your presence.”


When Anita Mellott isn’t homeschooling, she writes to encourage others. Her book, School Is Where the Home Is: 180 Devotions for Parents is available for pre-order.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for this reminder of His magnificence. Your analogy is a perfect representation and I, too want Him to be bigger in my life and in my thinking.

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Beautiful post.

    Thank you so much for these words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anita, as a fellow immigrant to North America, I feel much the same. I'm amazed though at the Spirit I recognize in my Christian brothers and sisters---like you. You from India, me from Ireland, and yet Christ unites our hearts so that I feel closer to you than I do my neighbor who sadly doesn't know the Lord . . . yet. But I pray soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anita, thanks for the reminder to keep our perspective. It is way too easy these days to let other things distract us. I've seen Lady Liberty, though it was many years ago, and I remember the same choking in my throat. Great devotional that also bears a bit of admonition . . . for me, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this devotion, Anita. Such a good reminder to keep Him first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed your post, Anita. So many times throughout my life, I've allowed the Lord to become a "speck on the horizon" of where I'm standing. Your post is such good reminder of where I, all of us, need to be . . . enveloped by His presence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, everyone. I'm finding that it's a constant practise of trying to keep Him first...and I'm not quite there yet, though.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.