Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Sunday Devotion-

Janet Rubin


It is with aching feet and bloodshot eyes that I collapse onto my couch tonight, ever so thankful to relax with my laptop and a cup of tea. Why so tired you ask? Two words:

Slumber. Party.

My Cassidy turned nine yesterday, and we're celebrating with a giggly, sparkly, nail polish-scented evening. I just gave the seven little merry-makers the first lights-out-and-be-quiet-or-there'll-be-trouble warning. It goes without saying that I'll probably be pausing multiple times during the writing of this narrative to go knock little heads together. But I digress...

The past two days have been consumed with preparation for this shindig: trips to the craft store for supplies, to the grocery store for everything you need for homemade pizza, cake, ice cream, snacks and beverages; a stop for decorations and wrapping paper. Today was spent cleaning, baking and decorating. By four o'clock the place was a balloon and streamer festooned par-tay palace. The gum drop buttons had been put on the pajama-cake. The craft supplies were laid out. The oven was preheated for the pizza.

And that was only the beginning. The last six hours have been spent serving pizza, pouring juice, cutting cake, scooping ice cream, wiping up glue and paint, doing manicures for seven (that's 70 nails; I figured it out when the fumes started to give me a buzz), over-seeing present time...

You get the picture. I suppose I ought to be in bed since I'll be up early flipping pancakes and stuffing goody bags. But I am not complaining. These little girls are a joy. And Cassidy is having the time of her life. Not only that, she is thankful. Which makes all of the work a pleasure. Even as I hear them whispering and shooshing each other downstairs, I smile, thinking of the fun they are having. It's a mom-thing, this joy that comes from knowing your children are enjoying what you are doing for them. A feeling I think God relates to.

We often think of God in terms of Father. And indeed, He is. But the Bible also gives us the picture of Him as a mother figure. In Isaiah 49:15-16 God says to Israel, "Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!" In Isaiah 66:13, He says, " As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you." And when Jesus looks upon Jerusalem, He says, ""O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing."

Because I grew up fatherless, the idea of God as Father is precious to me, but I also love that He loves and cares for us like a mother as well. He is a comforter, a nurturer, a protector, One who shows compassion to His children and longs for imtimacy with them. And what He does for us makes my few days of party-labor look like nothing. Does He throw parties for us?

Does He feed us? Yes! Not only with physical food, but with His very word. Does He bother with silly things like decorations just to delight us? Check out the sunset tomorrow, or the starry night sky. But surely God couldn't be bothered with something like craft time? Then why did He give us all these lovely things like writing and music and art? Present time? Oh yes. Lots of presents! He gives Himself, eternal life, limitless grace and mercy, peace that passes understanding, spiritual gifts...I bet you can think of more.

Can God throw a party or what? He's getting ready for a serious party right now. The wedding feast of the Lamb. Have you r.s.v.p.'d? I have, and I hope to see you there!

Lord, It's easy to enjoy the party and forget about the One who's throwing it. It's easy to forget to be thankful for all You have done and are doing on our behalf. Lord, thank you for the sustenence, the beauty, the writing, the many gifts. I can't wait to feast with you...yes party with You in Heaven, when I meet you not as Father or Mother, but Bridegroom. Thank You so very much for the invitation. Amen.

11 comments:

  1. Janet,

    Your Sunday devotionals nudge my heart into the right space. Thank you.

    Now let's all get to church and party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so welcome, Lori. Comments like yours bring joy to my heart. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate the information and interviews featured on Novel Journey, and really look forward to your Sunday thoughts. It's so amazing when God uses others to give his majestic whisper.

    On the lighter side, you gave me something to think about with regards to my own nine-year-old daughter. It seems a whole lot less terrifying for me and my wife to sponsor a 'slumber' party (what a misnomer) than to anticipate those way-too-rapidly-approaching teen years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful post.

    (And a great job, Mom.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And what about the angels rejoicing when a sinner becomes a saint! I imagine those are pretty awesome parties!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Ed, Nicole, and Linda. You guys blessed me. Party on:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing, awesome post. It brought tears to my eyes. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a tender, poignant post, and it moved me deeply. I think you and God must party pretty often! I hope we all can feel that close to Him the whole year long!

    A-men!!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice one, Janet. You'd never know you wrote it under the influence.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Party sounds like tons of fun... and this was a beautiful devo. I love those passages of Scripture that you mention.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool post, Janet! Yes, we're looking forward to the "par-tay" yet to come:). I am so looking forward to throwing a slumber party for my little one when she is older:).

    Cup o'joy to you,
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.