Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Monday, January 07, 2008

Let's Talk Resolutions


Something about that word "resolution" makes me tune it out as insignificant. I guess because most people won't keep their resolutions more than a week. I see it with friends trying to lose weight. I think it has to do with motivation, not will power. If they were going to be receiving $100,000 for every ten pounds they lost, I'm guessing they'd lose every last pound. See how that works? They don't keep their resolution because they don't want it enough. What about you? Why did you pick the resolutions you did for this year? Do you want them enough?

Me, I'd like to lose ten pounds and tone up so that (motivation) I'll be comfortable in a bathing suit. I also want to finish the manuscript I'm working on within the next three months like I told my agent I would (motivation) because it's important to me that I do what I say I'll do.

Motivation is not enough in itself, but it's a good place to start. We need a plan to get her done. Last year I gave up TV so I'd have time to write and read. I keep my small goal of not sitting in front of the tube, but it didn't result in my bigger goal of writing or reading more. So, this year I'm going to add the specific goal of reading two novels a month and one non-fiction.

For my get-in-shape plan I joined a gym, but like giving up television, that alone won't tone my muscles. So I added the specifics of having to go three times a week, use the treadmill thirty minutes minimum and complete half of the weight circuit machines each visit.

It's hard to stay motivated so my little rewards for staying on track: at the gym I get to spend ten minutes in the steam room after I work out. I LOVE this part and it actually inspires me to go on the days I'm dragging.

Writing-wise I keep a chalk board in my office and every time I finish a new chapter, I erase the last number and put up the next. Small and simple but seeing "Chapter 10" become "Chapter 11" is motivating to me.

The reward for reading the books? Knowledge. I love to learn but obviously that in the past hasn't been enough so every month I accomplish my reading goals, I'll buy myself one hardback classic or book I just love for my collection.

So Novel Journey readers – what are YOUR goals for this year? To become a better wrier? Great, we're all about that. How are you going to make that happen? Write down your plan, you're more likely to stick to it. Tell friends, this keeps you accountable. Ignore the self-deprecating talk of "I can't do it". Replace it with positive self-talk with "I can do it". Or "I screwed up today but I'll do better tomorrow".

If you can't think of actual steps to make your goal a reality, ask for ideas from your friends, your mentor or someone who has accomplished what you'd like to.

If you want to be published, that's not a goal you can accomplish in itself without a little luck or providence, but becoming a better writer is. Submitting to publishers is. Finishing your manuscript is. Writing three hours a day, everyday is.

If you're feeling brave, share a goal for this coming year with us and we'll revisit it next January to see how you fared. In other words, we'll keep you accountable. Now that I've shared mine, you can keep me accountable. Oh dear.

7 comments:

  1. I've always been a big believer in setting both short-term and long-term goals, rather than "making resolutions." (I agree, it's more of a "motivation" thing.) So far, the writing-career goals I've set the last two years I have accomplished:

    In 2006, my goal was to sign on with one of the top agents--and at the end of the year (well, first week of Jan. '07, actually), I signed with Chip MacGregor.

    In 2007, my goal was to have a publishing contract by the end of the year. I received my contract from Barbour for my first novel on December 7, 2007.

    So, In 2008, I've set career/networking goals such as creating and implementing a marketing plan for my book release, judging in the ACFW Genesis contest, applying to teach at the ACFW conference as well as the grad school program of which I'm an alumna. But I've also set writing goals such as completing the revisions on my sold ms early, finishing the sequel and submitting it by a certain (early) date, as well as getting my historical trilogy sold by the end of the year.

    For me, a goal is something to aim for, while a resolution is just a decision that's been made. But I am resolved to take every step necessary to reach for and meet my goals in 2008.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing the same. My goal is to finish the draft of this manuscript by the end of Jan and have it to my agent a month later.

    Then my goal is to have it under contract by the end of the year. Being political in nature, this is a good year to sell it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Health Goal--to regain the fitness that I lost due to a knee injury/surgery and take it to a higher level

    Writing Goal--to focus on revisions of my completed manuscript and complete the "story" part of another manuscript

    Spiritually--to allow God to fill in my gaps and to trust Him more

    ReplyDelete
  4. My resolution is to read Novel Journey every day:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate goals and I hate resolutions. But I have made an agreement with myself to complete a rough draft of my first novel by the time I turn 40, which is in September. So I have roughly 8 months. I have made a daily word count goal, which I'm already behind on! However, I'm determined. God help me, it shall be done.
    Karri
    www.kcreviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to finish a proposal I keep kicking around and sub it before February 15th.

    I'm going to pay attention to details like dates and make them personal deadlines.

    I got sloppy and too busy in 2007.

    Focus and follow through will be the biggie goal in 2008.

    As far as personal and spiritual goals -- I think keeping my mouth shut more often will help both areas. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. My goal is to start writing again. I changed jobs in 2006 after 18 years with the same company. It's taken me some time to get comfortable with my new job ("new" - it's been 16 months!) but I really miss writing something other than SQL code.

    Oh, and I want to avoid Costa Rican investment properties, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.