Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Judith Miller ~ Author Interview

Judith Miller is an award-winning author whose avid research and love for history are reflected in her bestselling novels, many of which have appeared on the CBA bestseller lists. Judy and her husband make their home in Topeka, Kansas.

Time to crow: What new book or project do you have coming out?


My latest project is a coauthored series set in the Thousand Islands and Rochester, New York. The islands are located in the St. Lawrence Seaway between New York and Canada. The series is titled THE BROADMOOR LEGACY, and the first book in the series is titled A Daughter’s Inheritance.

You've written this with Tracie Peterson. Tell us how that came about. How did you two connect?

Tracie and I have been friends for years. We met while working for the State of Kansas. She was working for the Division of Purchases and I worked for the Legal Division of the Department of Administration. Our offices were located in close proximity to each other. We’d never met, but when a co-worker discovered I was writing inspirational fiction, she said I should meet Tracie.
Our friendship evolved from that point forward. Tracie was already published. Later, after I’d had several books published, we talked about the concept of coauthoring. Bethany House Publishers agreed to a project we proposed as a three-book series. That first series was BELLS OF LOWELL. We followed it with LIGHTS OF LOWELL.

Since that time we’ve been working on our own projects, but both enjoy the coauthoring process, and decided we’d enjoy writing this series together.

What was your writing process? Did you each take different characters?

The writing process we’ve developed for our series works well for us. We decide on our concept and setting for the series. Then we visit the setting and research the area to make contacts with local historians and get a feel for the place where our characters will come to life. Once we’ve conducted the basic research, we jointly develop our characters—what they look like, what motivates them, what obstacles have shaped their personalities, and so forth. With each book in the series we get together for approximately three to five days and write a detailed synopsis.

Once the synopsis is completed, more research is done, and then I write the first draft, leaving scenes or chapters for Tracie to write. Once I’ve finished the first draft, I send it to her, and she writes those scenes and chapters, adding details or making changes to what I’ve written and then sends it back to me for more additions or deletions.

This process works very well for us, although I know other authors who co-write using a different method. I think ours has made our writing seamless, and it’s difficult for readers to determine who has written any given portion of the manuscript.

How does writing with someone compare to writing alone?

There is pleasure in coauthoring because you have someone who is as invested in the project as you are. The other author understands the characters and setting. If you hit a snag along the way, you have someone who can immediately understand the problem and help resolve an issue.

If a writer plans to coauthor, he or she must be willing to listen to the other author’s ideas, have a similar writing style, and both possess a passion for the story they plan to coauthor.

Every novelist is on a journey. How long was your road to publication? How did you find out you would be published, and what went through your mind?

Compared to many authors, my road to publication was relatively short. I received word my book had been accepted for publication approximately six months after I had submitted the manuscript. However, when I wrote that first book, I didn’t write it with an eye toward publication. I wrote it because I couldn’t get the story out of my head. I think this is true for many authors. Our characters won’t leave us alone until we get their stories onto paper.

Do you ever bang your head against a wall from the dreaded writer's block? If so, how do you overcome it?

I haven’t had to deal with writer’s block. Instead, I seem to have too many stories that I want to write and not enough time to write them. Every time I visit a new place, I’m thinking of what might have happened to people who lived there and how they overcame circumstances.

Novelists sometimes dig themselves into a hole over implausible plots, flat characters, or a host of other problems. What's the most difficult part of writing for you (or was when you first started on your journey)?

I plot out my stories before I begin writing, so that is where my problems tend to come into play—during the plotting of the book. I want to make certain it doesn’t fall flat in the middle and that there is enough tension to carry the story through to the end. Once the characters are fleshed out, research is complete, and the plot is resolved, the story can be written with relative ease. It’s the preparation that causes the most difficulty for me.

How did (or do) you climb out (overcome it)?

I get together occasionally with other Christian authors, and we have plotting sessions. There can be some tiny element someone else mentions or suggests that will move a story forward. Editors can also be helpful in this area. They’re usually able to add good fodder to the creative process.

Where do you write: in a cave, a coffeehouse, or a cozy attic nook?

A cozy attic nook sounds lovely. However, I’m in one of our upstairs bedrooms that I have converted into an office. It is my favorite place to write. Although I take my laptop when I travel, I have difficulty being productive without my resource material at hand and my familiar keyboard beneath my fingertips.

What does a typical day look like for you?

A typical day means I’m at my computer by 8:00 a.m. I usually answer important email before I begin to write. By 8:30, I’m usually writing, working on research, or outlining a plot. I stop around noon, and if the weather permits, I take a walk and have a bite of lunch afterward. Then I’m back upstairs where I write until 3:00. I then check and respond to email, take a short break, consider what I’ll fix for supper, and then return to work until 5:30 or 6:00. If the creative juices are lagging, I’ll spend the final portion of the afternoon with secretarial or promotional duties. When I’m on deadline, I’ll be back at the computer throughout the evening and on Saturdays.

Some authors report writing five to ten thousand words a day. Do scenes flow freely from your veins or do you have to eke out each word?

To be honest, it depends on the scene and time of day. Generally it flows freely, and I’m able to write three or four thousand words a day, unless I must stop to dig into some research question. Please note, I didn’t say all the words were “good” words. The first portion of my writing begins with reading and editing the work from the previous day. This gets my mind back into the story and allows me to tweak those “not so good” words I’ve written the day before. Once I’ve completed that process, I continue forward with the story line.

Briefly take us through your process of writing a novel—from conception to revision.

For me, the process always begins with the question “What if…” From that simple question, a brief synopsis of my novel evolves and I make inquiry with my editor as to whether the story might be of interest. If so, I then begin to develop the characters and their motivations. As I continue to develop the characters and conduct my research, the story deepens, and I develop a chapter by chapter synopsis. Once the synopsis is developed and most of the research has been completed, I begin to write. There are, of course, stops along the way for additional research, changes to the plot line, and characters who won’t behave as I’ve intended.

Once I have written, rewritten, and edited the story to my satisfaction, I send it to my editor. The manuscript is reviewed by a team of in-house readers. My editor then discusses possible changes that she believes will strengthen the story. Once I have completed those edits, the manuscript is resubmitted to my editor. I will sometimes receive questions regarding references for historical information or other questions the editor may have. Those are answered by email. In the interim, I may be requested to send a brief synopsis or ideas for cover copy, ideas for cover art, and ideas for titles. The next time I see the manuscript, it is in galley form. I read the galleys, answer any copy editor questions, correct any errors I come upon, and return the galleys to the publishing house.

The next time I see the manuscript is when it comes to me as a printed book. The excitement and thrill remain with each new book.

What are a few of your favorite books (not written by you) and why are they favorites?

Gone With the Wind
Jane Eyre
Mattie Spenser

They are favorites because the stories are written in a compelling manner. As the Bible tells us, there is nothing new under the sun. However, these books offer larger than life characters and wonderful settings that held me captive.

What’s the best writing advice you’ve heard?
Never stop reading.

What do you wish you’d known early in your career that might have saved you some time and/or frustration in writing? In publishing?

To keep detailed lists of writing, and research books for future reference.

How much marketing do you do? What have you found that particularly works well for you?

For readers who have furnished their addresses, I send out a postcard announcing the release of a new series. I also send out emails to those who have given me permission to do so. I speak at book clubs, libraries, and at churches whenever possible. I appear on blogs, when requested, and maintain a website and respond to all the email and snail mail from my readers as quickly as possible. I have gone on book tours and believe meeting bookstore owners and their customers helps create a connection with an author. I believe the best possible marketing I can do is: (1) write a compelling book (2) have those who like my books tell their friends.

Do you have any parting words of advice?

Keep God first in your life.

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited. Tracie Peterson signed books in Cheyenne not too long ago and A Daughter's Inheritance was one of them. Looking forward to reading it. Thanks for your interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to get to know a little bit about you, Judith. Tracie and I met when we were both working with The Kansas Christian newspaper. I was assistant editor, and she was a columnist. I wish I'd had a chance to meet you too back then.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.