Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Listen and be Heard

Hi all. With some changes coming, I thought I should probably prepare you.

One of the biggest complaints CBA authors have is being stuck on a shelf labeled "religious fiction" at the back of the bookstore.

Do we want to be read by only Christians?

No. Of course not. Wouldn't be love to be read by everyone? Absolutely.

We want to see that happen at Novel Journey. One of our goals in fact is to get the word out about CBA fiction to people who would never go into a Christian book store.

But if you want to be read outside the choir, you must be willing to listen to people who may not share your views. In order to be heard, you must be willing to listen.

Not all the books we review or authors we interview are CBA authors. Not all are Christians.

We will do our best to stay away from anything too shady, of course, but we understand that you as adults will be discerning with what you read.

When I was new to Christ, I wanted the whole world to know about Him. I would get this wild look in my eyes, probably even had drool running down my chin, as I spouted the gospel, whether my victim wanted to hear it or not.

This method was not particularly effective.

Then I read a wonderful book called, How to Give Away Your Faith. It taught me before I ever open my mouth to share what I believe, I should ask, "What do you believe?" ... and then listen.


Want to share your faith? Then let others share what they believe. Not all views that will be expressed by interviewees will we agree on ... but in order to be heard by others outside the choir, we must also be willing to listen to those outside the choir.

God bless!

1 comment:

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.