Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Monday, April 17, 2006

Author Interview ~ Denise Hunter

Denise lives in Indiana with her husband Kevin and their three sons. In 1996, Denise began her first book, a Christian romance novel, writing while her children napped. Two years later it was published, and she's been writing ever since. Her books often contain a strong romantic element, and her husband Kevin says he provides all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too!












Plug time. What book or project is coming out or has come out that you’d like to tell us about?

I’m very excited about Finding Faith, the last book in my New Heights Series which released in March. You know how you hear about writing yourself into a corner? Well, that’s what happened with Finding Faith. I gave my main character a problem so big, I wasn’t sure I could dig her out of the mess! I do like my endings to be happy, though, and I think I managed to pull it off (though my nails were really short there for a while).

Tell us about your journey to publication. How long had you been writing before you got the call you had a contract, how you heard and what went through your head.

I wrote my first story (Stranger’s Bride) in three months and sent off the proposal. I hate to admit it, but I was absolutely obsessive about checking the mail and phone messages. Then the rejections came rolling in. Finally, there was only one publisher I hadn’t heard from (i.e. been rejected by), but it was the one I’d really written the story for, Heartsong Presents.


Six months after I’d submitted the proposal, I got a letter asking me to send the complete. I remember jumping up and down, running through the house and finally out on our deck where my husband was. I was ecstatic, and I wasted no time in getting that ms. in the mail. After I sent it, I decided I might as well pass the time writing another story, so I started on a sequel to the first one (Never a Bride). I finally got The Call a little over a year after I’d submitted it. I can’t remember what I said, but I was so excited it was all I could do to keep from screaming.

Do you still experience self-doubts regarding your work?

ACK! Constantly! I have this dread thing that goes on every day before I sit down to write. I’ve come to learn that my dread is caused by fear. I’m always afraid I won’t be able to write something worthwhile that day. And it doesn’t help that I’m a perfectionist and sometimes put pressure on myself to get the words right on the first draft. Like that’s going to happen! I do a lot of praying (Help, God!) and try to remember that God is able even when I’m not.

Once I start writing, though, it usually flows along nicely, and some days I don’t want to stop. That’s just the daily self-doubt. I won’t even go into the doubt that happens after I turn in a ms. and after the book’s released.

What mistakes have you made while seeking publication?

When I sent out my first ms., I sent it to houses that were inappropriate for the story. It was a waste of their time and my postage.

What’s the best advice you’ve heard on writing/publication?

I’ve gotten a lot of great advice, but one that sticks out to me is to set a daily writing goal and stick to it. After my first book, I wrote only when my kids were napping. Even if you can only write 1 or 2 pages a day, it will eventually be a complete ms. It’s way too easy to let everything else get in the way of your writing time, but if you set some kind of goal, it’s more likely to happen.

What’s the worst piece of writing advice you’ve heard?

I think it’s a bad idea to lay rules down as if everything is black and white. Always plot your story out before you write. Never write about such and such a topic. Never edit as you write. There are as many ways of writing as there are writers. Do what works best for you and forget about trying to fit into some other writer’s mold.

What’s something you wish you’d known earlier that might have saved you some time/frustration in the publishing business?

When I first started writing, I thought a person was either born with enough talent and skill to write a good book or she wasn’t. That’s why I didn’t start my second ms. until after Barbour requested my complete. I didn’t want to waste my time writing another book if I didn’t have what it took to be published. I didn’t realize that writing improves with studying the craft and practice and practice and practice.

Do you have a scripture or quote that has been speaking to you lately?

Not a particular scripture, but it seems like the theme of glorifying God is coming up every time I open the Bible or do a Bible study. I’m currently fascinated by the idea that everything I do should bring glory to God. No pressure.

What are a few of your favorite books? (Not written by you.)

Redeeming Love and A Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers and Hidden Places by Lynn Austin are a few of my favorites. I could list a ton of other books that I couldn’t put down.

Can you give us a view into a typical day of your writing life?

As boring as it may sound, I’m very much a routine person. After I drop my kids off at school, I come home and do my Bible study then start writing—usually emails . I call it warming up. After I’m done with emails, I read and edit what I wrote the day before, then I write until I’ve met my quota, which is currently 6 pages. I get up every so often to throw a load of laundry in the washer. My life is so glamorous.


When I finish a chapter, I send it to my critique partner, Colleen Coble, and when she sends it back, I make the suggested changes. I’m usually done writing by noon which gives me time to get housework and errands done.

If you could choose to have one strength of another writer, what would it be and from whom?

Ooooh, that is a great question! Okay, I wish I could be as prolific as Colleen Coble or Karen Kingsbury. Can you make it come true?

Do you have a dream for the future of your writing, something you would love to accomplish?

I’m going to get gut-level honest here. You know what I really wish I could accomplish? I wish I could put reviews and sales and self-doubt and awards aside and just be able to focus on what God wants. I wish I could write for His glory alone and not have a selfish or prideful motive in my heart. I wish I could remember, moment by moment, that He is my audience of one and if I’ve pleased Him, I’ve succeeded.

Was there ever a time in your writing career you thought of quitting?

No!

What is your favorite and least favorite part of being a writer?

I love the part of writing that comes after the first draft. Fine tuning sentences, beefing up the theme, finding just the perfect way of saying something. The part I dislike the most is publicity--especially radio interviews. The live ones are sheer torture.

How much marketing do you do? Any advice in this area?

I do my fair share. I’m most comfortable with the behind the scenes stuff. I have a website (
http://www.denisehunterbooks.com/), I send out a newsletter quarterly, and I have a blog with Kristin Billerbeck, Colleen Coble, and Diann Hunt (http://www.girlswriteout.blogspot.com/). We sometimes do book signings, speaking engagements, and interviews together, and that really makes promoting more enjoyable. The author and the publisher are a team, and it’s important to do your share to get the word out about your books.

Parting words?

Publishing is a tough, competitive business, but I firmly believe that if you have an inkling of talent, a lot of persistence, and a desire to study the craft and improve, you have an excellent chance of getting published. Rejections can feel brutal and personal but don’t give up if it’s your dream. It only takes one publisher saying yes to make that dream a reality.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks Denise. Wow, wrote a book in 3 months and had it published. I'm sure at the time you thought that was forever, but that's pretty incredible. I really enjoy your girls write out blog.

    It's encouraging to hear that even multi-published authors have those annoying doubts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always encouraging to hear other people's writing stories. I love how God weaves it all together. What a blast it is to write with that in mind. Thanks for the great interview, Denise. Perhaps we'll meet someday. ICRS? ACFW?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good interview, Denise. I love your humor and honesty. I read Girls Write Out every day, too. Great blog. See you in Dallas, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Novel Journey readers - we need to nominate Gina and Novel Journey for Writers Digest 101 Best Websites for Writers..... see info below.

    Best Web sites for 2005

    It's our annual roundup of Web sites you'll want to bookmark to improve your writing skills, find new markets and get the word out about your writing.

    You use the Internet for fast access to the information you need. So don't spend hours searching for the perfect writing Web sites—read our list of sites to find the best the Web has to offer, then get back to your own writing.

    Here's our seventh annual listing of the 101 best sites for writers. We read more than 400 nominations, visited the sites and chose our favorites in 12 categories: articles, tips and discussion boards; creativity; general resources; genres; jobs; just for fun; media resources; niches; online writing and critique groups; online writing groups offering classes; organizations; and publishing resources. New this year: We've added a "YW" symbol if the site offers something for young writers.

    Check out our list, then send your comments or nominations for next year to writersdig@fwpubs.com with "101 Sites" as the subject line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kelly! Boy wouldn't that be sweet (and get our CBA authors we profile extra attention!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Denise,

    I love your dream. Talk about no pressure....

    Some of your comments were great fun. Thanks for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could put reviews and sales and self-doubt and awards aside and just be able to focus on what God wants. I wish I could write for His glory alone and not have a selfish or prideful motive in my heart. I wish I could remember, moment by moment, that He is my audience of one and if I’ve pleased Him, I’ve succeeded.

    Those are AWESOME words! Thanks, Denise and Gina!
    Camy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another great interview. Very encouraging. Living proof that another regular mom like me living that "glamorous life", can be a successful writer. I like the idea of calling my email-writing "warming up." Of course I'd have to actually do some real writing afterwards...
    Thanks Gina and Denise!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.