Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Monday, March 20, 2006

Author Interview ~ Max Anderson

Max Elliot Anderson literally grew up in the film production business. His father, Ken Anderson, was the founder of Gospel Films in Muskegon, Michigan, and later, Ken Anderson Films. At the age of eight Max was "killed" by a hit-and-run driver, while riding his bike in one of his father's motion pictures. But, since the film was being shot in black & white, the blood came out of a chocolate syrup bottle.

Mr. Anderson writes action/adventure book for children.










What book or project is coming out or has come out that you’d like to tell us about?


Thank you for this opportunity to talk about the writing process. My latest book is due out in March. Reckless Runaway tells the story of a boy who believes that, because his parents have to discipline him, that means they don’t love him. Along with his dog, Barney, he sets out to teach them a lesson. But that’s not how it turns out. He is the one who learns a valuable lesson that will stay with him for the rest of his life.




You've finished 34 manuscripts in about three years. Tell us how you are able to be so productive.

While waiting for my client based video production business to return, I had a lot of excess time, and no place to use my creative energy. The first book was extremely difficult to write, but I pressed ahead anyway. Then, when that first manuscript was completed, it was very much like having the cork come out of the bottle. I was inundated with story ideas. These came in one of three places; while driving, mowing the lawn, or in the shower. Each had its own difficult circumstances. When a new story comes, it comes all at once, like a flood. Early on, I used to try to write it all down. Now I use a small recorder to tell myself the story.


My normal schedule, when the next book is clearly to be written, is to write every evening from around six to about ten. I try to finish three chapters in a session like that. I work longer hours on weekends and holidays. This leaves me with large blocks of time for other things since the writing goes in spurts like that.

Each time I finished one story, there were at least half-a-dozen waiting to be next. It’s that way now. I could start any one of about a dozen stories. And it’s very clear which story is next. I’ve slowed down a little because there aren’t enough outlets for all those manuscripts, and because it looks like I’ll be working on more videos soon.

Tell us about your journey to publication. How long had you been writing before you got the call you had a contract, how you heard and what went through your head.

I began writing just after 9/11. The reason I started was because most of my video production clients headed for the hills. This has lasted until just very recently. So, this left me wondering what to do. I began writing mysteries and adventures, primarily for boys, that I would have enjoyed as a child. The reason for this was because I grew up hating to read. The first book was published in September of 2003, and Reckless Runaway will be my 8th. How I heard was through a series of emails and phone calls.

Do you still experience self-doubts regarding your work?

That only happened very early on until some other authors and avid readers responded so positively to my early work. Ever since then, I’ve never looked back. For some examples of what I’ve heard about these books, you could read over 30 pages of reviews at
http://maxbookreviews.blogspot.com/

What’s the worst mistake you’ve made while seeking publication?

I can’t think of any just now. When I began, and the first book was actually published, I set out on a five year plan. Right now, I’m ahead of that schedule.

What’s the best advice you’ve heard on writing/publication?

Find a need and fill it. I looked at the market, studied hundreds of kid’s books, and didn’t find anything that answered my deepest questions about why I didn’t like to read. Once I realized certain patterns, it was full speed ahead. I’ve just completed writing the 34th manuscript called Danger Mountain, and am ready to start another.

What’s the worst piece of writing advice you’ve heard?

For me it was, “You have to write something every day.” I’m very project orientated. I guess that comes from so many years in film and video production. But, I get tunnel vision when it comes time to write a book. I write as the story unfolds, even though I do have research notes and a skeleton outline. The most extreme example of this tunnel vision happened when I wrote the first draft of Legend of the White Wolf in three days.

What’s something you wish you’d known earlier that might have saved you some time/frustration in the publishing business?

I’ve been real satisfied with learning as I go. I’ve become a student of the publishing business both from the writing and the marketing/promotion sides. So far there haven’t been any major surprises, but that’s because I gave a lot of thought to the process before the first book came out.

Do you have a scripture or quote that has been speaking to you lately?

That’s an easy one. Proverbs 3: 5 – 6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your path.


What are a few of your favorite books? (Not written by you.)

This is the funny part. My books are being compared to some of the great standards of children’s literature, and I’ve never read any of those books. Now I’m trying to help others develop a lifelong love of reading.

What piece of writing have you done that you’re particularly proud of and why?

Since I write mostly mystery / adventure books for kids, each book feels like one of my own children. In that light, it’s impossible to like one over another. I think the one-and-only magazine story I’ve ever sold probably gives me a sense of pride because it put my name out in front of a national audience for a brief time. The story is An Unexpected Song in the May / June, 2005 issue of Guideposts’ Angels on Earth.

Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?

Lack of information as to how books are doing in the market would be at the top. With each royalty statement, it’s a little like waiting for Christmas.

Can you give us a view into a typical day of your writing life?

I think the process would be more instructive because I don’t have a typical day as such.
I always burn a candle while I’m writing. It helps me focus on the task at hand, and to zero in. I only burn it while writing. I keep a lot of props around for inspiration. These are things that help set the mood, like the chipmunk I caught, two days in a row, while writing Forest of Fear. I play mood appropriate music to help my brain get into the mood of the scene. I never read a manuscript until I’ve finished the first draft. Most of the time I’m pleasantly surprised at what’s in there.


If you could choose to have one strength of another writer, what would it be and from whom?

There are several authors who come to mind, but it would be to have a name that is recognized in then general marketplace. I realize that takes time, and I’m doing all that I can to make that happen.

Do you have a dream for the future of your writing, something you would love to accomplish?

It’s actually a step beyond the business of writing. Because of my film production history, I’d love to see the day when one or more of my adventure / mysteries were to be made into a motion picture. The truth is, as I’m writing them, they are already films in my mind. I sometimes slip, in conversation, and refer to them as films. Then I have to catch myself and remember that they’re just books at this stage.

Was there ever a time in your writing career you thought of quitting?

Never.

What is your favorite and least favorite part of being a writer?

While I’m actually working, writing the next book, I’m at perfect peace. It’s the most fun thing I’ve ever done in my life. I look forward to each new project because it’s such a positive experience for me. I don’t have a least favorite. Writing is pure pleasure for me.

How much marketing do you do? Any advice in this area?

This is where I spend the bulk of my time. I would advise writers to start on this process as early as possible. Develop your contact lists, find potential reviewers, look for interview possibilities (like this one) and do everything you can to make connections. It is in the marketing area that I would agree, you should do something to advance your books every day.


Parting words?

Well, even though I believe what is happening is in God’s perfect timing, I wish I could have discovered the ability to write about ten or fifteen years ago. I’m 59 now. I also find it sad how so many independent Christian bookstores are going out of business. Where this will all lead is uncertain. As the big get bigger, it will make it even more difficult for new people to become a part of the process. The reality is that there are over 85,000 publishers who cranked out something like 185,000 new titles in 2005 alone. But I would say to anyone, find a need and fill it. Believe in what you’re doing. And, if God has truly called you to write, no one and nothing can stop you but yourself.


Max Elliot Anderson
http://maxbooks.9k.com

NEWSPAPER CAPER, TERROR AT WOLF LAKE, NORTH WOODS POACHERS, MOUNTAIN CABIN MYSTERY, BIG RIG RUSTLERS, SECRET OF ABBOTT'S CAVE, LEGEND OF THE WHITE WOLF, & RECKLESS RUNAWAY are compared by readers and reviewers to Tom Sawyer, The Hardy Boys, Huck Finn, Nancy Drew, Tom Swift, Scooby-Doo and adventure author Jack London.REVIEWS:
http://maxbookreviews.blogspot.com/





2 comments:

  1. I love reading about the unique path each author walks. What an awesome God we serve. He gives us each our own path, and a whole set of unique fingerprints.

    Thanks for sharing your story, Max.

    Thank you, Gina, for your most excellent blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep writing, Max. If we can capture the children with great books, they'll become lifelong readers-- and maybe even writers! :)Books determined the careers of both my nephew and me, being avid readers from early childhood.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.