Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Don't Get Blogged Down

This first aired in Sept, 2013
by Edie Melson



This may seem like a odd topic, but I’ve gotten a lot of questions lately about how some of you are following so many blogs you don’t have time to write. Of course I’m also hearing from some who haven’t committed to following any blogs because of a fear that there won’t be any time to write.

Either extreme will blog…er…bog down your career.

All kidding aside, as a writer it’s vitally important to continue your education. And blogs can be an extremely efficient way to do this. I can hear the chorus of complaints now.
  • There are millions of blogs out there—how do I find one that’s worthwhile?
  • How do I narrow down my choices—do I have to read hundreds to find one that fits what I need?
  • Where do I start looking—it’s gonna be like finding a needle in a haystack!

Enough already.

Finding high quality blogs, that pertain to your situation are just not that hard to find. You find a good blog the same way you find a good book. Think about it, we’ve been shopping for books for years, choosing from millions of titles, and finding success. 
  • First, look for recommendations from people you trust.
  • Second, most blogs have blog lists as a part of their layout. If you like blogger A and he likes blogger D, chances are you ought to give it a try.
  • Third, look for blogs from familiar people. Now days, most bloggers have or are at least affiliated with more than one blog. 

So how do you manage following blogs and keep from eating into valuable writing time?

I have a plan for that too. I like to use a three-tiered approach.
  • I start with three to five blogs that I follow regularly. These are blogs I almost always read.
  • Then I have a second level of six to eight blogs that I watch closely. I read these about one half of the time and I decide when by paying close attention to the subject lines and titles of the posts.
  • Finally I have a third level of about twelve to fifteen blogs that I watch the subject lines and titles and read when they sound interesting.  

This is the method that works for me. I’d love to hear how you manage your blog life.

Edie Melson is the author of four books, as well as a freelance editor with years of experience in the publishing industry. Her popular blog, The Write Conversation, reaches thousands of writers each month, and she’s the co-director of the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference. Her bestselling ebook on social media has just been updated and re-released as Connections: Social Media & Networking Techniques for Writers. She’s the Social Media Mentor at My Book Therapy and the social media director for Southern Writers Magazine. You can connect with Edie through Twitter and Facebook.

3 comments:

  1. I have the same problem. I really like your method and will probably give it a try. :)
    Edge of Your Seat Stories

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Edie, this really helps. I was feeling guilty about not being able to read them all. I am finding that I do the same thing you are by skipping some that are not pertinent to me at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for this great advice. It's a question I've had but haven't wanted to ask. Like Lillian, I'm going to give your method a try.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.