Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

What's Your Big Kahuna Fear?

by James L. Rubart

What's your Big Kahuna fear? The one that sends shivers down your spine when you imagine it happening?

Mine is heights. I start getting squeamish at about 30 feet up.

So in June, when Taylor (my oldest son) asked me if I wanted to go jump out of a plane at 13,500 feet with him, his fiance, his finance's mom, and a few others, I wanted to say no.

But I didn't.

I knew God was saying, "Jump." So I did.


The jump was an unbelievable physical rush--wow, was it ever!--but more important is what it has done inside me. I see what God was up to. The jump freed me up to believe I can do that thing in my writing career I never thought possible. And yeah, maybe I can't do it, but at least now I'm willing to try.

Do You Need to Jump?


You know I'm not (necessarily) talking about skydiving.

  • Maybe it's writing that novel you've never believed you could write. 
  • Maybe it's asking for an endorsement from someone you're convinced would turn you down flat. 
  • Maybe it's going to that conference you've always wanted to--but been too intimidated.
  • Maybe it's pitching an editor and/or agent with more confidence than you've ever had.
  • Maybe it's asking that author to co-write with you even though that's a dream you don't believe could ever come true.
  • Maybe it's doing Nanowrimo this November.

I don't know what plane you need to leap out of but I do know the faith it takes to jump will bring you freedom. Do it. I know you can.

I'll see you in the air.


James L. Rubart is the best-selling, and Christy award winning author of six novels. During the day he helps authors make more coin of the realm. In his free time he dirt bikes, hikes, water skis, golfs, does sleight of hand, and takes photos.  No, he doesn’t sleep much. He lives with his amazing wife and two sons in the Pacific Northwest and still thinks he’s young enough to water ski like a madman. More at www.jameslrubart.com

3 comments:

  1. Jim, this is amazing and just what I needed today. Guess I need to get my jumpsuit on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love metaphors, and jumping from a plane is perfect for me. I'm not one for heights either, but have always wanted to jump (or wanted to want to jump) from a plane. I'm in the midst of pitching my first novel--a difficult uphill battle in today's publishing world. So thank you for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.