Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

A Little Peek Inside the Crazy

This is me on deadline! 
By Rachel Hauck

Last Saturday I was tired. Punchy. And feeling a little bit ornery.

I'd been working 13 days straight, of various numbers of hours, but the last five were pretty intense, twelve hour days.


A book I'd written in the winter needed some serious attention, above all, an ENDING. 


Yea, it was one of those books that just didn't work for me initially and I struggled to nail the concept. 


So I vented to myself in a Photo Booth video. Ha! 


I shared it on my YouTube Channel. You can watch it here.


But be aware. I'm weird here. 


My mom, being a mom, posted it on her Facebook profile and one of her friends commented, "What a waste of time, What is the point? Writer-no!"


I'm not sure she got the point of the video. I'm not sure I got the point of her comment, but a peek inside the writer's life can be frightening. Confusing.


We're all different. Are we not? I loved Jim Rubart's post about a novel that didn't work for him or his editor.


That's when we buck up, roll up our sleeves and get to work.


The excuses only go so far. 


I had several reasons why my book didn't hit a home run the first time out. Valid ones. Physical health issue that is now mostly resolved! Praise God.  And a story concept I struggled to land. Just what is the story of How To Catch A Prince?


And a deadline.


I some times wonder if I should've been one of those novelist who takes two years to write a book. I can't make money or gain readers that way but it takes me a long time to mull over and bore down to the core of a story.


Deadlines makes us all crazy. Writing deadlines. Work deadlines. Family deadlines.


For me, I want to write the best book I can. I want to thread all the layers, even the little ones, through. 


I had a thought yesterday that my heroine's dead brother needed a fiancé. Not a big deal right? Why bother? Because it adds motivation and a complicated layer to my heroine.


I want the reader to say, "Yea, I buy that. I'd react the same way."


Do I pause to thread it through? Won't take much. A few lines here or there. Did I mention I'm on deadline. The book is due today. ;) 


I'm going to shot for it. If I run out of time, I run out of time


Because I still need to shore up the ending. 


I think books are never finished. They're just done. Time to turn them in. 


Here's a few tips to help you avoid or survive the crazies!


1. Do not wait until the last minute. Plan a schedule of some kind so you  know when you're writing and when you're not. Like Jim's tree crashing through his house and like me running into a surprise physical issue, life doesn't always wait until the book is turned in.


2. Communicate with your editor or agent. Let them know how you're doing. I know it's scary when you're first starting out. No one wants to tell their new editor, "I'm struggling," but it's better than waiting until the last minute. Trust me, they'll understand.


3. The weeks before deadline are just intense. At least they are for me. Warn your family and friends.


4. Carve out time for a quick walk around the block. Make room for prayer. Get enough sleep. 


5. Have fun! Seriously, find a way to have fun. Make a video. Post it on Facebook. 


Well, there you go. That's my blog and I'm sticking to it.



*** 

Rachel lives in sunny central Florida.

A graduate of Ohio State University with a degree in Journalism, she worked in the corporate software world before planting her backside in uncomfortable chair to write full time eight years ago.

She’s the author of EPCA and CBA best sellers, RITA and Christy nominated books. She also co-authored the critically acclaimed Songbird Novels with platinum selling country music artist Sara Evans. Their novel Softly and Tenderly, was one of Booklists 2011 Top Ten Inspirationals.

Rachel serves on the Executive Board for American Christian Fiction Writers. She is a mentor and book therapist at My Book Therapy, a conference speaker and worship leader.

Rachel writes from her two-story tower in an exceedingly more comfy chair. She is a huge Buckeyes football fan.

Her novel, Once Upon A Prince, was a 2014 Christy Award Finalist.

Here latest novel, Princess Ever After and novella A March Bride, released in February 2014. Find Princess Ever After on sale at Barnes & Noble online and in stores! 50% off!!

Visit her web site: www.rachelhauck.com.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic advice and timely for me. I've finished edits, but now I'm going over the galley, word for word for any last corrections. This is fun, tedious, and scary. I don't want to miss a thing! And of course, there's the time thing involved. I do know that prayer first is the best way to organize. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.