Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Standing Guard




I saw the small head and long slim neck emerge from the tall grass. Then the goose stepped out into the open and stood still. Another head emerged, then another and another. Slowly the whole family, Mamma, Papa and four almost fully grown goslings trooped out of their hiding place and settled on the grassy bank. One of the adults (I’m assuming it was the Papa) stayed alert, his neck extended, his eyes ever-watchful while the others pecked at the grass and seemed to relax and enjoy the sunshine.
It wasn’t long before they were interrupted by a wandering dog. The watchman – or should I say watchgoose? – squawked loudly and herded his brood back down the bank and into the safety of the pond.

What a clear illustration, I thought, of how our Heavenly Father watches over us. He is always alert, never wavering from his responsibility to guard and protect. I love Brian Doerksen’s song, You Shine that says – “ Why should I lose heart, When I know how great you are? Why should I give up, When Your plans are full of love?”

That song encourages my heart because I do know how great God is and I believe his plans for me are full of love. And knowing that God is watching over me just like that papa goose gives me a sense of security that allows me to go about my business, the business the Lord has given me to do, without worry or stress.

The scripture tells us that there is a “cloud of witnesses” around us and therefore we should “throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith” (Hebrews 12:1,2).

Sometimes knowing others are watching can make us feel uncomfortable and even prevent us from doing out best, but knowing the “cloud” and the One who is watching us has nothing but our good at heart leads us to greater heights than we could have imagined.

Are you feeling discouraged? Look up. Look at that cloud. Look at that beaming face of our Lord, and keep on running.
****


Marcia Lee Laycock writes from central Alberta Canada where she is a pastor's wife and mother of three adult daughters. She was the winner of The Best New Canadian Christian Author Award for her novel, One Smooth Stone and her second novel, A Tumbled Stone was recently short listed in the contemporary fiction category of The Word Awards. Marcia also has two devotional books in print. Her work has been endorsed by Sigmund Brouwer, Janette Oke, Phil Callaway and Mark Buchanan.  




Abundant Rain, an ebook devotional for writers can be downloaded here. Visit Marcia's website

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.