Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Monday, December 03, 2012

Book Club Talk with Mart Tatem



ABOUT AUTHOR: Mary Tatem is the author of eight books, including her most recent re-release, The Quilt of Life. A Bible teacher, Girl Scout leader, PTA leader, mom of four, grandmother of fifteen, and great grandmother of two, Mary writes with the authenticity of her life experiences as well as the fun of humorous moments. Her books bring encouragement, showing the parallels between the process of quilting and God’s loving work in our lives.


What have been the benefits to you in having relationships with reading groups?

Getting acquainted with the many books that make great reading group reads. Even securing a sample to show the group.



Where would you like to see your relationship with reading group grow? How do you think your goals can be met? If so, how?

 I’d love to be on the radar screen for more reading group invitations.  I hope to gain some ideas to meet these goals at ICRS this year.

Do you have a set size a reading group has to be before you'll talk to them on the phone or in person? What do you feel most comfortable doing?

No I don’t have a set size.  I’ll gladly talk either on the phone or in person. I feel comfortable either way.

What would you tell other authors have been a benefit for you?

The opportunity to run ideas pass editors and evaluate their interest.  Becoming  acquainted with what new books are coming out helps authors evaluate what projects to pursue or avoid due to oversupply. Witnessing new product at ICRS provides encouragement to continue writing in spite of rejection and the isolation at the computer.

What do you think about ebooks and future sales of your book? How will authors do book signings with an ebook reading crowd?

A great question. I think e-books will grow in the future.  There are always several people at every book signing that tell me they only read e-books because they can change to a larger font or they enjoy taking one appliance for many books. I’m eager to read your research on how a book signing works for an ebook crowd.  Perhaps signing a postcard with a picture of the book cover.

Which type of book club meeting do you prefer? Why?

Women’s clubs. Ones which allow discussion because different points of view are instructive to an author.

Do you learn about your book and yourself from book club meetings?If so what?

It helps me to know how people respond to my writing and  how they interpret my points. I can pin point my weaknesses and assess the needs of  my readers.

Did you learn more about your characters than you original wrote about? Have you been surprised by readers reactions to one of your books? Characters? If so, which ones?

Readers tend to interpret characters out of their own experiences, and that may go further than my intentions.  I’m particularly touched when someone comments they have been comforted by my books.

Has your book club experience - getting feed back from reading groups - helped you in writing future books? If so, how has it helped you?

It is helpful to know what kind of plots, settings and characters readers relate to and want to read about.



THANKS Mary for stopping by and helping us get to know you and your books!! I LOVE Quilts and will be checking out your devotionals! The covers to your books are very beautiful. I'm sure your books will get us in the Christmas Spirit.

If you are an author and would like to share your book club experience with me I'd love to hear from you. Please email me at norafindinghope@yahoo.com


MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE
HAPPY READING!!

Nora St.Laurent
The Book Club Network
www.bookfun.org 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.