Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Monday, November 05, 2012

BOOK CLUB TALK WITH COLLEEN COBLE




ABOUT AUTHOR: Author Colleen Coble’s thirty-five novels and novellas have won or finaled in awards ranging from the Romance Writers of America prestigious RITA, the Holt Medallion, the ACFW Book of the Year, the Daphne du Maurier, National Readers’ Choice, the Booksellers Best, and the 2009 Best Books of Indiana-Fiction award. She writes romantic mysteries because she loves to see justice prevail and love begin with a happy ending.


What have been the benefits to you in having relationships with reading groups?

Buzz starts with readers, and when reading groups talk about a novel together, that enthusiasm often transfers beyond the group. I also love chatting with my readers in general, and the energy that happens when a group meets is just plain fun. :)

Where would you like to see your relationship with reading group grow? How do you think your goals can be met? If so, how?

I'd love to do more groups. I don't often have the opportunity to meet in person since I live in a small town, but even telephone discussion tend to be enjoyable.

Do you have a set size a reading group has to be before you'll talk to them on the phone or in person? What do you feel most comfortable doing?

I like to have 10 or more in a group since it does take time away from writing. I'm a people person, so the in person ones are very enjoyable to me. The phone ones are more practical since I can go anywhere at anytime!

What do you think about ebooks and future sales of your book? How will authors do book signings with an ebook reading crowd?

That's a topic that authors are talking about a lot right now. My sales via ebook are a percentage of my overall sales now, something I predict will continue to grow. I hope physical books never go away though. I have a Kindle, but I still like the feel of a book in my hand and read physical books almost as much. Maybe at an ebook “signing” we could give away signed bookplates, though I'm not sure what the reader would affix them to! Regardless of format though, there will always be a need for a traditional publisher for me. I love the job that my Thomas Nelson team does for me, and I would hate to have to write AND do all the marketing as well.

Which type of book club meeting do you prefer? Why?

I prefer live because I'm a people person, and it's fun to engage in the energy of an in person talk. But that's not practical very often.


Do you learn about your book and yourself from book club meetings?If so what?

Sometimes there are themes that come out in discussion that I didn't consciously know was in the novel. That's a fun discovery. And it's a thrill to hear how a reader responded to something I learned through the writing of the book.

Did you learn more about your characters than you original wrote about? Have you been surprised by readers reactions to one of your books? Characters? If so, which ones?

I've been surprised at the success of the Rock Harbor series. My readers just love Bree--which is gratifying because she's the character that is most like me. I wrote a lot of my own personality into Bree.

Has your book club experience - getting feed back from reading groups - helped you in writing future books? If so, how has it helped you?


Oh yes! Readers also have loved the Lonestar books and their reaction nudged me back towards series when I'd been more interested in writing standalone novels. I want to write what my readers want to read! :)






Thanks for stopping by Coleen and letting us get to know you and your books better! Until next month when you'll hear from another authors about their book club experience. If you are an author and would like to be featured here please contact me at norafindinghope@yahoo.com


Blessings


Nora St.Laurent
The Book Club Network CEO
www.bookfun.org 

2 comments:

  1. I love these book club interviews! Here's hoping Colleen makes another tour through GA. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Yeah!! That would be a BLAST!! We'd ALL LOVE THAT!! I can't wait to read her new book - Love the cover Coleen!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.