Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Day I Said a Naughty Word

I sat in the studio, my stomach nervous. I'd never read one of my books for an audio version before, which was one reason for my queasiness. But the main reason resided firmly on page 36 of Thin Places.

Jimmy, the producer, asked me at the beginning of the recording. "What are you going to do about that word?"

I'm not normally a swearer. Typically the only time I hurl an expletive is if I drop something on my foot, but even then, I don't say that word. It's too ugly. "Can I say something else that starts with F?"

"Of course. Just say it strong when you do."

So we started our two-day recording journey. And I thought about that awful word, about how it would sound if I said it out loud. I knew they'd bleep it out anyway, so I felt confident I wouldn't have to say it.

But something happened as I read my story. I was five years old again. Remembering the landscape of my kindergarten year. Feeling the fear I had inside, how it boiled and churned. Nearly every day teenage boys would take me from my babysitter's house and do that unthinkable, unmentionable word to me. I couldn't tell the babysitter because I knew if I did, she'd wash my mouth out with soap. The only word I knew to use to tell her exactly what was happening was that awful, stark word.

I let the abuse continue, afraid to say the word. Knowing that if I said it out loud, I would be in trouble. But the abuse escalated. The boys brought friends. And no one would rescue me, so I mustered up my courage, asked my babysitter to stoop to hear me, then whispered the word in her ear.

In the studio, a holy anger burst through me the moment the word came near. I saw it there, remembering my own fear of saying it. And when I found my voice, I let the word leave my tongue. Bare naked. In its awful glory.

Jimmy looked up at me, stunned, then gave me a thumbs up. Somehow he knew how hard it was to say that word, and I think he understood that saying it brought healing to me.

Because sometimes there is no other word to describe hell.

The word got bleeped, but I got healed.

Which goes to show that as storytellers (whether we're telling our stories, someone else's or a character's tale) we must be willing to allow for the dark places. Sometimes we have to write the truth in its dark nakedness. Not to titillate or glorify, but to show it's depravity. Because, as Ted Dekker once said as a keynoter at Mount Hermon, "The light of redemption shines brighter on a dark canvas."

14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to see children suffer like this.
    Maybe it's becuase I have two boys, but maybe it's becuase it's just evil and dirty.
    Maybe it's becuase it's so wrong that hell could win something so innocent in our present state of humanity.
    I've cried for all the innocent children who suffer any abuse. I know God could stop it all. If He doens't stop it all, then at least transcend the child's mind to a happier place.
    I ache for these children in need, these women, even men.
    God, protect them!
    Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, I've said it before and will say it again: You're strong and courageous. And brave. Jesus works powerfully in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is wonderful. I love its raw emotion, and I'm so thrilled for you, for the moment it brought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I second Janna's statement. But I couldn't read it without tears streaming down my face. I am so glad that you are healed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I second Janna's statement. But I couldn't read it without tears streaming down my face. I am so glad that you are healed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry sweet friend for what you went through. Praying for your continued healing and sending gentle hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much, every one. I was away at the beach when this posted, so I couldn't interact when it went live. I'm encouraged so much by your sweet words.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary, you know such courage! I can't even begin to imagine having to live through a nightmare like that. You are such a beautiful embodiment of the word courage. Thank you for sharing your private pain with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Mary. I wept like I did when I read page 36. And through most of your story. You wrote true. You spoke true. Praying for you as you continue to heal and lead others to the light.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Honesty and truth. Sometimes no other word will do. "Words mean something," and telling the truth is more important than skittering around for a weak synonym.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't often feel courageous, Makeda, but I appreciate your words!

    Sandra, thanks for the prayers.

    Ron, oh so true.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.