Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Eyes on Jesus

Anita Mellott writes to encourage others on their journey of life. With a background in journalism and mass communications, she has worked for more than ten years as a writer/editor in the nonprofit world.
She balances homeschooling and the call to write, and blogs at From the Mango Tree (http://amellott.wordpress.com/).


The line snaked through the lobby and the auditorium, spilling out through the doors of the Carter Center even though the book signing was well into its third hour.

“People have been here since 1 pm,” an attendant said as he laughed.

“Even though we only opened the doors at 3 pm,” chimed in another.

Several white, linen-draped tables piled high with books lined the walls. Secret Service agents stood at intervals along the way. Families and individuals milled around waiting for President Carter’s autograph. Muted chatter echoed through the building.

I moved the stroller back and forth to keep my toddler entertained as we waited. I noticed a familiar figure go through security and then begin striding purposefully in my direction. She drew closer and passed within inches of me, without a second glance to the left or right.

“Hi Deb,” I called. She hesitated and stopped mid-step. Turning around, her gaze fell on me. “Oh. Hi Anita.” She came up and faced me, with a rueful grin. “I’m sorry I didn’t see you. My eyes were on Steve.” And she pointed to her husband who was several feet ahead in the line.

We fell into an easy conversation and parted ways after a while. But her comment, “my eyes were on Steve” lingered in my mind.

What would my writing journey be like if my eyes were fixed on Jesus? Would I struggle as much with doubts and fears? How would I handle rejection? And publication?

“Keep your eyes on Jesus, who both began and finished this race we're in. Study how he did it. Because he never lost sight of where he was headed—that exhilarating finish in and with God—he could put up with anything along the way…” Hebrews 12:1-2; The Message

Anita Mellott
From the Mango Tree

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.