Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Kirkus Reviews... RIP

Love or hate them, Kirkus Reviews has been one of the favorite book review resources for librarians and booksellers, who often look to them to decide how best to stock their shelves.

Many would consider Kirkus to be one of the harsher review publications, and might actually be happy to hear the news that both Kirkus and Editor & Publisher are being shut down by owner Nielsen Business Media, (according to the New York Times.)

Kirkus was founded in 1933 by Virginia Kirkus, and for many years, offered often tough, pre-publication book reviews. Editor & Publisher was the main newspaper industry trade magazine for more than a hundred years.

In a time when everything in the publishing industry is changing at breakneck speed, this latest news is at least unsettling, even to those whom the publication regularly snubbed.

(Nielsen is also selling the Hollywood Reporter, Billboard, Adweek, and Mediaweek. You'll be relieved to know, however, the are keeping Progressive Grocer.)

On an entirely egocentric note, what are the odds that the month I mail Kirkus my very first ARC (advanced reader copy) for my very first novel, they would fold? I feel strangely powerful.

3 comments:

  1. We all knew you were powerful, Gina. This is just proof.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the 80s, I used to value Kirkus Reviews and Publishers Weekly. When they said a book was good, I believed them.

    These days, PW seems to scan the books at best, and many authors give endorsements without even reading the books they're endorsing. (I always read the books I endorse, from cover to cover.)

    I, for one, will miss the honesty of Kirkus. Their words meant something, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, Gina. I'm a little afraid to read your book now....: )

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.