Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Reason to Rejoice

Marcia Laycock is a pastor's wife and now the mother of two brides and one daughter in college. Her devotionals have been widely published and her novel, One Smooth Stone won her the Best New Canadian Christian Author Award in 2006. Visit her website - http://www.vinemarc.com/


By the time you read this article my middle daughter will be married for about 24 hours. The small ceremony will be in a tiny country church with 75 friends and family attending. If you have had a child get married you know the kind of week I’ve had, leading up to this event. Stressful, emotionally draining and exhilarating.

I know the day itself will be all of that and more, as all the planning and preparations come together to make a wonderful celebration. I know Laura will make a beautiful bride and I know her soon-to-be husband will glow with anticipation as he watches her walk down the isle toward him.

All as it should be.

I used to hate weddings. I didn’t like people much in those days, so having to chit-chat with strangers was abhorant. I didn’t like all the ‘mushy’ sentiment because I didn’t believe in love that lasted forever. I didn’t like the religiosity because I didn’t believe God existed. I saw no joy in weddings, only the potential for pain.

Jesus changed my view of things just after my own wedding, almost 30 years ago. Now I find people fascinating and love to chat. All the sentiment doesn’t seem so ‘mushy’ now, but expressions of genuine love and affection. And the religiosity has meaning because I know God not only exists but cares deeply for all those involved. Now I see a deep joy in weddings because I see the potential for paradise.

I see the face of the bridegroom waiting for his bride and I know it’s a picture of Jesus waiting for us. I see the shimmering beauty of the wedding gown and know it’s a faint glimpse of the one we will wear when Jesus presents us to his Father. I watch the lighting of the unity candle and know it’s the hope of the world, a hope that will one day be reality.

All as it should be.

I will celebrate the day with my daughter and the rest of my family and friends, rejoicing that God has given me a small role to play in proclaiming that joy and hope. I expect I’ll have a few more words to write after the event. I praise God that now I will see it all with eyes that are open to the glory of God, ears that are tuned to the sound of angel’s wings, and a heart that bursts with thankfulness.

“… as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride, so will your God rejoice over you.” Isaiah 62:5b

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, Marcia., on this occasion. I enjoyed this post and the spiritual application. Pat

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.