Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Friday, January 02, 2009

Cell Phone Novels


So, have you heard about Cell Phone novels?

I know what you’re thinking. GTBK. Right? No I’m not.

Here’s the deal, they are stories, written in short sentences on the cell phone, and apparently uploaded to the web where people can read and vote on them.

Thankfully, AFAIK, it’s only in Japan.

Apparently, it’s a BD there too!

One girl sold 400,000 copies of her cell phone novel in hardback. No doubt she’s SETE.

But, SRSLY, five of their top ten selling novels in 2007 were cell phone novels first. 4RL! At least one that I’ve heard of has been made into a movie.

Now obviously, the characters aren’t going to be very deep, nor the plots. But in a very busy society where one only has time to write on their fifteen minute break, it certainly proves that “writers write.”

So what do you guys think, will the youth here be texting novels next?

Will you?

B4N

9 comments:

  1. I can TTLY see my daughter doing this! She's nineteen, a texter extraordinaire and has already written two books! I know her eyes will light up when she hears about this! Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...I certainly hope my generation doesn't retire traditional novels to "text" them on their cells. I don't know about you, but I enjoy deep characters and plots. TTYL (talk to you later).

    [Please vist my blog and leave a comment]

    ReplyDelete
  3. What girl was you? The one that sold 400k copies or Marcia's daughter? WTHAYTA?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This phenomenon in Japan inspired me to start a cell phone novel website for English speakers, which is referenced by Dana Goodyear in her article. If you have a moment visit www.textnovel.com and see what you think. Its still in beta mode so any suggestions you have would be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kicking myself for all those times I sent storyline to my Inbox via my cell phone instead of uploading it to the web. Agh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. srry, jk, thot it wld b clear ... the grl who sld 400k

    haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Riding the trains from New York to New Jersey I do notice more cell phones being used for things other than talking -- games, music, texting, e-mail, GPS ...even watching TV...so, I knew books would soon be an option.

    Next year you'll be able to cook breakfast too -- nuked ham and eggs anyone?

    I do like the Kindle reader -- as a book reader...not quite sure about my cell phone, yet.

    HenryCruz.com

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.