Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

How'd Ya Do?

As usual, I have a few goals for the coming year: to finish my current manuscript by the end of March, write a second novel in nine months after that, learn more about marketing, whip my backyard into a beautiful garden, spend more quality time with my children, read a few more classics and books on the craft of writing, exercise on a more regular basis and spend more time getting to know God.

I have yet to look back at my goals for last year to see how well I stayed on track. Ane usually tucks them away for safe keeping. (Ane?)

Last year around this time I asked what YOUR goals were, and some of you shared. Those of you who wrote down some aspirations for the coming year (here or elsewhere), how did you fare?

What would you like to accomplish for this coming year? Share with us. Writing them down and telling them to friends makes you more likely to stick to them.

Happy New Year everyone!



7 comments:

  1. Your post reminded me about looking back at my goals from last year to see how far I'd come. While I had ten devotionals published, I didn't finish my novel until the end of this year. I pray I can look back at this time next year and have accomplished finding a publisher for it and knowing it's out there making a difference.

    Blessings,
    Barb
    http://barbarajrobinson.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted mine on my blog, but the main goal is to have my manuscript finished and polished enough that I can start querying agents by the end of the year or very
    early 2010. I also would like to cook more (as now I just make any sort of boxed/processed food) and not be as lazy as I've been in the last year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't usually do yearly goals on NYE, but this year I will have a few. I want to go deeper in my writing and I want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I would like to be more organized.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh ... hi, G. Your goals from last year? Right. I remember those. But, uh, if I tucked 'em away, they're really safe. So safe, I can't find 'em. :-}

    But if I remember right (which I wouldn't bet money on if I were you) you did pretty good.

    I know the main goal was to improve your writing and boy, have you! That one trumped all others and you've done it so well, it should obliterate any left over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 2009 Goals:

    * Revise and polish two manuscripts (improve writing is implied)

    * Attend a writers' conference. Donations in the form of spare change will be accepted, thank you

    * Pitch at least one MS to an editor/agent at the above mentioned conference.

    * Understand that writing is a business, so if the above mentioned agent/editor rejects it, determine to improve and move on

    * Accept suggestions for additional goals

    * Enjoy my writing. I fizzled in that department last year

    * Read more books

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gina, I like that you talked about them being goals rather than the dreaded "New Year's Resolutions". People always stress over keeping their NYRs until they ultimately fail to keep them. So a couple years ago, I decided to make the same Resolution every year; I resolve NOT to make a New Year's Resolution. In doing so, I fail immediately and take all that pressure off.

    But you talked about goals. Um, I didn't write them down, but here's what I remember them being:
    Spend more time with family, continue making a difference at work, go on a mission trip, keep growing in my faith, start writing again, and finish my novel. I successed in all but the last one.

    I think I'll stick with those goals again this year. But I'll change the last one: finish my novel in time to go to the ACFW conference in Denver. :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.