Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Sunday, October 19, 2008

More Little Books

For a man with so few gray hairs, C.S. Lewis had wisdom.

We must attack the enemy's line of communication. What we want is not more little books about Christianity, but more little books by Christians on other subjects--with their Christianity latent.”

While you no doubt agree with Lewis, it’s difficult to move among Christian artists without wondering if his words are merely sentiment—trite phrases, impossible to apply. It’s all very well to preach embed your faith, but can it be effectively practiced?

I’m a children’s librarian. When literature comes up in my conversation, it eventually veers toward young adult fiction. The emphasis, however, is far from misplaced: nowhere else in society will you find minds more pliable, more open to new ideas, more susceptible to beautiful lies, than in the under-twenty crowd.

Publishing houses understand this full well, and a stroll through the nearest Barnes and Noble attests to their eagerness to invest in a thriving industry … millions of books on a trillion subjects, each written by an author with something to deliver, intentionally or not.

Children’s fiction is a tricky place to keep a message dormant—kids are used to being bossed. They can smell an interfering adult across the park. So when writers earn respect and devotion from young readers, it’s worth noticing. When those same authors are esteemed by critics, when a group of writers, united by a set of common beliefs, secures that place, we should do more than notice.

Exhibit A.

Stephenie Meyer. You’ve heard of her books, I think. Most everyone knows she’s a Mormon.

Slightly less well-known is Shannon Hale. Her young adult novels have won a Newbery Honor, been NYT bestsellers, featured in Al Roker’s Book Club for Kids. Hale is also a Mormon.

Brandon Mull, author of the hugely popular, NYT bestselling Fablehaven series, recently released The Candy Shop War. Fox snatched movie rights within weeks. He’s published by Shadow Mountain, a Mormon press.

Obert Skye’s Leven Thumps series is gaining popularity, and Jessica Day George is widely admired in the kidlit blogosphere. You might remember Orson Scott Card and his award-winning Ender’s Game. You can read more about these writers on famousmormons.net

Is this all coincidence? I think not.

Brigham Young University students proved C.S. Lewis right—they produced well-

written fiction, with their Mormonism latent, and created a pocket of literature respected by readers and critics alike, securing popularity and influence not just for today, but for years to come, as children carry their favorite stories into the future.

Stories rooted in a false worldview.

Christian writers see the need: more little books. We’ve been given the Truth.

It’s time to suit up.

Noel De Vries is a children's librarian with an evolving novel in her desk drawer--children's fantasy, Edward Eager meets E. Nesbit. Or so she likes to think. Visit Noel at http://www.noeldevries.blogspot.com/

11 comments:

  1. Sara Zarr is not a Mormon. (In fact, that's why her book Sweethearts, although it takes place in Utah, focuses on a girl attending a school for non-Mormons--because she didn't feel she knew Mormonism well enough to write about it authentically.) Ironically, I think she illustrates the C.S. Lewis quote quite well--she writes little books with her Christianity latent but influencing it in the subtle way of Truth. And she is, in fact, a Christian.

    But I just wanted to make that clear before any confusion. Sarah Zarr = not a Mormon. :)

    Great post, Noel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughters and their friends read Stephenie Meyer, and not one of them knew she was Mormon--and most of them wouldn't have much idea what that meant anyway.

    I agree with your post. The frustration is that the Christian world has separated itself from the world (although the world is still very much in our homes and thoughts). The Christians who are trying to live honest lives in the midst of the messy world don't usually know of or support the type of latent-Christian fiction you mention. And the buyers in a Christian bookstore want the spoon-fed (force-fed) Christian stories, or, the ones that deal with prairie or Amish romance.

    I know numerous talented Christian authors who try to write very real, gritty, true-to-life stories without a blatant "message," but they are the ones who have a hard time selling. Bottom line: the writers to whom your blog is calling out are often the ones who have been shoved aside already.

    Personal example, my novelization of Fireproof has been met with great success (mostly due to the movie, of course), but it's "safely" Christian. My novel, Field of Blood, which is in many ways more deeply Christian in message and theme, has not done as well--yet!--because it isn't viewed as a typical "Christian" novel.

    Just my observations. They could be all wrong, but I'm trying to understand this same issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the clarification, Stephanie. I'll revise the piece. (I loved Sweethearts, btw)

    Eric, I guess my point was that fiction by Mormons is read by a lot more than just Mormons. It's not gritty, it's just plain good. N.D. Wilson is an author who comes to mind, a Christian who writes novels and is read by a lot more than just Christians, published by Random House, his work is just plain good. (read Leepike Ridge)

    I realize the "call" is old news ... but I feel children's fiction is a sadly neglected field among Christian writers, thus the focus of this piece.

    As for Stephenie Meyer's Mormonism, like I said, it's latent. But readers looking for influence will find it; for example, in her novel The Host, you have the concept of pre-born existence of souls and the idea of humans inhabiting other planets in various forms, and some would even say hints at polygamy, though I'm not sure I completely agree with that. Point is, her fiction is shaped by her worldview, and it's well written (for the most part) ... readers adore it. We need more Christian authors doing the same thing in children's fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're in full agreement. I wrote to validate your argument, and only to point out the dichotomy in the Christian buyers' minds (and pocketbooks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow. Shivers. Thanks for this piece and Eric, keep writing. I think if we keep writing our stories without apologizing when they have a subtle message, they will catch on.

    We need all kinds of Christian stories. Stories for Christians, stories for seekers, stories for those who doubt their own faith and those who doubt faith period. There are so many avenues to do this.

    This is especially needed in children's fiction. The time is right, so I hope some Christian authors will target a broader audience in their YA novels with a christian worldview.

    Your post is an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post!!!! I sooooo agree. I know you addressed the YA writer, but I think the same applies to adult ficiton. The general population just want to read good fiction.

    At my local indy store, the owner who is not a Christian, loved and recommended, Charles Martin's "When Crickets Cry." I loved the fact that it isn't a blatant message, but gently draws the reader toward faith in God. His book, "Chasing Fireflies" is even more subtle, and successful. (pubbed by Thomas Nelson)

    Also, Leif Enger, whose wildly popular "Peace Like a River", (NY bestseller, and soon to be a movie produced by Brad Pitt pubbed by Atlantic Monthly Press) shows the power of the faith of a father throughout the story. It tugs on the heart with gentle strings of grace.

    I agree that this is quite an art. But I know that all things are possible in Christ, through Christ, with Christ, and the world needs His hope and grace.

    I also had a discussion with the same bookstore owner. As a buyer, she said she doesn't look at whether a Christian house pubbed the book or not. She looks at the craft and appeal to readers.

    Eric said it soooo well, "The frustration is that the Christian world has separated itself from the world (although the world is still very much in our homes and thoughts)."

    How can we reach the lost if we stay within our own circle, merely waiting for the lost to come to us. The same thing applies to many churches with no outreach which presents the spirit of a "club." Jesus said, "Go...", not "Stay and wait for the lost to find you."

    What a great charge for those who God has blessed with such a valuable tool to reach a multitude of lost souls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, Jennifer. Sadly, I'd make more money in the CBA market if I'd only tone down my message and make it palatable for the average middle-aged churchgoer.

    If I get published by a NY publisher, many Christians will think I've sold out, when it's the opposite. I see writers who sell out within the Christian market. The real missionaries are often the ones going out--and putting up with the criticism from the pews.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Eric! Amen.

    I've taken the hits and snubs when I share that God has given me a vision to reach the lost (possibly outside of the CBA market--but it's really in His hands, and I trust Him). I really don't understand such separation when the message of the Bible is clear. But, one thing I know, God is bigger than the darkness that finds it's way into EVERY walk of life...including the pews. No matter the financial gain,, or the lack thereof, if you follow what God has placed upon your heart, the mission He has planted in your soul, His eternal blessings will surpass any we could ever gain on earth.

    What good are earthly riches if we miss the opportunity to share God's grace with people who do not know or live out the Truth? My salvation is secure in Christ, but I grieve much knowing that so many in the world are lost, and will spend an eternity in hell...I may be the very vessel God has called to show His grace and light and hope and peace to that ONE valuable soul. (Praise God for his ability to fill in my gaps.) I don't want to miss the opportunity on paper or in person.

    There is a calling on every Christian's life. I know some are called to minister to the church through their writings. Some are called to stir up that stagnant pot, and get us moving away from "self", thinking beyond the bricks and mortar that separate us from the world. I cannot define it for another, but I know His charge and vision for the lost is real, and should not be criticized by those within the Christian community. We are the body with different parts. We should support each part, otherwise we are simply the walking wounded.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in full agreement. I've always felt that I was the feet of the body, ready to move, to go, to get dusty and tired and sore, but to keep advancing.

    There are definitely writers who are doing what God has called them to do in this market--absolutely! We each need to know Jesus and His call on our lives, and to do anything else is disobedience, regardless of what others think or the earthly rewards that do or don't come with it.

    Thanks for balancing my little rant. lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keep those feet moving, Eric. God has blessed you with a wonderful mission for Him.

    The key, though hard at times, is to keep that eternal perspective. (I say it like it's easy!! LOL) When the world jabs at your your heart, or only offers hot coals and thorns to walk upon, it's easy for worldly concerns to override that which we know is true...God wants us to simply live for His purpose.

    May you be blessed in an extra special way today, my brother with tough feet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. While I grew up in Idaho, with a lot of Mormon friends, I will freely admit that I don't know a lot about the inner workings of their religion.

    I will also admit that I've not read all four of Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series. However, I read the first one, and I did't see anything I know about Mormonism in it.

    Before I started writing fiction, I was part of a volunteer staff of writers for a reality TV fan website. One of the staff had a book deal at the time, and she was the first person that said I should be writing fiction that I ever took seriously (the rest of them were all friends that read my Christmas newsletters. :) That woman was Stephenie Meyer. So I'll admit, I'm biased. :)

    Sure, I'll admit that a writer's worldview is probably going to come through in their work. And I hope that if the day comes that I'm published, some lost soul will get some nugget of God's truth out of what I write. But sometimes a good story is just a good story.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.