Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Thursday, October 09, 2008

Author Interview ~ Eileen Key

I’m a retired teacher and survived the last twenty years of my career in middle school. Not for the faint of heart! My oldest daughter and her husband presented me with a grandson six years ago. He started kindergarten in August and read me a whole sentence from my book the day I came home from the ACFW conference. My son and his wife gave me a gorgeous granddaughter the day after I turned in the manuscript for my first novel. I’ll save it for her to read one day, too. My youngest daughter is single and took my place in the middle school realm. Brave women, she is. What a joy my kiddos are! I’m part of a new church plant called Grace San Antonio.

Time to crow: What new book or project do you have coming out?

My first novel, Dog Gone, from Barbour Publishers just released through the Heartsong Presents mystery book club. It’s a fun cozy mystery.

How did you come up with this story? Was there a specific 'what if' moment?

I have a friend who shows dogs. These animals are her babies and no expense is spared. One day I tied in pedigreed dogs, a kidnapping, the Internet and a “what if” scenario. Seems it worked.

Every novelist has a journey. How long was your road to publication? How did you find out and what went through your mind?

I’ve had a book in my hand as long as I can remember. My mother said she began reading to me at six months of age. So that’s the beginning of the journey: my love of words. I began to think seriously about publication in 2002 and joined ACFW. I attended conferences, studied the craft and read, read, read.

In July of 2006, my youngest daughter Rachel and I were about to get out of her truck at a restaurant when my cell phone rang. My agent asked me if I thought I could have my book proposal turned into a full manuscript in four months if I had a contract. Duh! I was so pumped. Cried and screamed! Accepted the challenge and contract and hung up. Then began to second guess myself. Would I be good enough to do this? Ecstasy to agony in a nanosecond.

What made you start writing?

A friend at work challenged me. She said since I was such a book lover I should try my hand at writing. Cheryl Williford, I tip my hat to you this day.

What would you do with your free time if you weren’t writing?

Probably start with the pile of laundry by my washing machine! I know I’d read more. Babysit more, not just get to play, but the work kind. I prefer playing!

What's the most difficult part of writing for you (or was when you first started on your novel journey)?

Being descriptive. An editor said I write spare: just the bones. I’ve had to learn to flesh out my work and put the reader into the scene.

Where do you write: In a cave, a coffeehouse, or a cozy attic nook?

I’ve reached a new season in life and live alone. So I’m tucked in my cozy apartment with only the whirr of a fan to interrupt my thoughts.

Do you put yourself into your books/characters?

Oh, my yes. I enjoy writing in first person, so there’s a lot of me in Belle Blevins, the character in Dog Gone. Of course, she’s skinnier and way smarter!

Some authors report writing 5-10 thousand words a day. Do scenes flow freely from your veins or do you have to tweeze each word out?

I have learned to pay attention to scenes as they flow. Not always freely, but they do flow. I plot some. Not extensively, but enough to keep out of most corners. I watch for repetitive words and scenes which don’t move the story forward. I’m learning.

Briefly take us through your process of writing a novel—from conception to revision.

The beginning premise needs research. For Dog Gone, I traveled to a pet spa and a dog show so I’d have an idea of what Belle would see. I plot using the chapter by chapter method. This happens, then this, and so on.

Do I always stick to that? No. But it’s a basic framework. I write what time allows, and when I pick it up read over the last few scenes to get a sense of rhythm. I try not to turn on the internal editor. I strive for a rough draft of several chapters which get read over and over until I feel they are polished enough to go through my critique group. Once I hear from them, I revise and continue the journey.

What are a few of your favorite books (not written by you) and why are they favorites?

I love the pacing in Brandilyn Collins and Terri Blackstock’s work. Page turning fiction. The new cozy line from Heartsong has produced numerous fun reads. A favorite mystery author is Earlene Fowler because of her characterization. Her Benni Harper series is highly recommended. I read Little Women five or six times, thus the desire to be Jo March.

What’s the best writing advice you’ve heard?

Read, read, read, then write, write, write. I’m not sure who coined the wonderful acronym BIC: butt in chair. Sit down and write. You won’t write The End unless you do.

What do you wish you’d known early in your career that might have saved you some time and/or frustration in writing? In publishing?

I’m a middler. Angela Hunt said we write in the middle. Someone’s always better and someone’s always worse. I compared my writing and felt myself lacking in so much that I was afraid to try. I had to risk putting my work out there before it went anywhere.

How much marketing do you do? What have you found that particularly works well for you?

I’ve only just begun. (Hum along with me.) I’ve done a mail out of postcards, e-mailed everyone I know and been on several blogs. Marketing is the most formidable task a writer has. I am able to tout your work, but hesitate with mine. I am on the learning curve and will accept any ideas!

Do you have any parting words of advice?

Angela Hunt told us if God gave us the call to write it means someone somewhere needs to read what we’ve written. Really puts my words into perspective. Therefore, I need to see that my books do “get out there,” and keep on writing.

Thank you for this invitation to blog. I really appreciate your thoughtfulness. -Eileen

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your book, Eileen! And you've got me shivering just thinking about those years of teaching Middle School! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suffer from the same dilemma when it comes to marketing, Eileen. I think many of us who aren't natural salesmen, do! Still, overcoming that tendency to shy away from touting our own work is a necessary task. Like you, I'm learning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your journey. It's always encouraging to read about the experiences of other writers. God bless your writing efforts - and your grandparenting!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Eileen. Woo hoo!

    A prisoner of hope,
    Megan DiMaria

    ReplyDelete
  5. So Awesome! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.