Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Driving Thru By Marcia Lee Laycock

I was inching forward in the drive-thru at Tim Horton’s coffee shop the other day, and feeling a little sorry for myself. Well, okay, maybe a little more than a little.

I’d had an email from my publisher telling me a statement of the sales for my novel, One Smooth Stone, was on its way. He also said the sales “weren’t what we were hoping for.” As I pondered what that meant I sighed, noting he had not mentioned a royalty cheque.

Good thing I had just signed on to begin a new job, stocking book racks for a small distribution company. The books are all Christian and the money is surprisingly good, but in my pity-party mood I grumbled about helping to sell other people’s books instead of my own. I wondered if God was trying to humble me.

Just as that thought came into my head I pulled alongside a large garbage bin. A woman dressed in the Tim’s uniform approached it at the same time. She was attractive, even in the uniform, and looked just a bit younger than me. She tugged the large bag out of the receptacle and went about replacing it with a new one.

Well, at least I’m not doing that, I thought. Then she looked up and gave me the most amazing beaming smile. I recovered from my shock just in time to smile back.
As I drove away sipping my coffee I pondered what had just happened. That woman’s beaming smile told me that she did not consider it demeaning in any way to be changing that garbage bag. I don’t know if she is a believer in Christ, but she certainly seemed to have his attitude about service.

And I was humbled. I realized God was trying to wake me up to the fact that being content and even happy doesn’t depend on what my work is or on how many books I sell, it depends on what I believe about myself and about Him.

I began to examine those two things in relation to one another. Who am I? A child of Christ, loved beyond measure and blessed to an abundance that is staggering. What do I believe about God? That He wants only my good and will move heaven and earth to bring me to an awareness of his goodness and glory.

Funny thing. I glanced in the mirror and noticed I had the most amazing beaming smile.

"Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands. My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you." Psalm 63:3-5)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding us to be thankful for what we have, Marcia. I am going to email you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....and now I have a beaming smile.

    Thanks. :)

    Serena

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.