Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Friday, June 27, 2008

Humorist Phil Callaway ~ Interviewed




Phil Callaway is an award-winning author and speaker, known worldwide for his humorous yet perceptive look at life. He is the best-selling author of twenty-two books including Laughing Matters, Who Put My Life On Fast Forward? Making Life Rich Without Any Money, and Family Squeeze. Phil's writings have been translated into languages like Polish, Chinese, Spanish, German, Dutch, Indonesian, and English (one of which he speaks fluently!)

Phil’s list of accomplishments also includes shutting off the TV to listen to his children’s questions (twice), taking out the garbage without being told (once), and convincing his high school sweetheart to marry him (once).

Described as “Dave Barry with a message,” Callaway is a popular speaker for corporations, conferences, camps, and marriage retreats. He is a frequent guest on national radio and television. Phil’s writings have won more than a dozen international awards. His 5-part video series The Big Picture is being viewed in 80,000 churches worldwide. Callaway is editor of Servant magazine, which he started in 1989 with the goal of encouraging, edifying, and educating readers. A general interest magazine, Servant is now read in more than 100 countries. Subscribe or read it here. Phil is a syndicated columnist and has published hundreds of articles in such publications as Marriage Partnership, Focus on the Family, New Man, Christian Parenting Today, Christian Reader, Home Life, Decision, and Faith & Friends. He lives in Canada with Ramona and their three children.


Share a bit about your writing journey.


I began writing a column called Family Matters back in 1990. An editor at Harvest House Publishers somehow got a copy, took the president out for lunch, and read him one of my stories. He laughed until indigestion became a problem for him, then said, “See if he’d write a book.” They phoned and I suggested Honey, I Dunked the Kids. It was a hit back in 1993 and launched my writing career. I'm absolutely astounded at the responses to my books and so thankful for every opportunity to tell of the joy Christ can bring.


What came first for you -- the platform or the book(s) and how did/do the two mesh?


The book came first. People assume that if you write, you speak. The problem for me was that I was terrified. I didn’t sleep all night before my first radio interview. I got on a TV show and the host asked me, “What does it take to be a good dad?” And I said, “Well…it’s like Martin Luther once said…” and my mind went blank. I stammered and stuttered. I said, “he said that we should never forget what he said, and I don’t have a clue what it was.” They laughed and I learned to go with my strengths. People laugh when I talk, so I try to use it the best I can.


How would you sum up your platform, expertise or message?


I come at life from a humorous and warped perspective. I write and speak about bringing joy back to life. My wife Ramona battles Epilepsy and I’m part of a family that battles severe Depression and Huntington’s Disease, so the things I write about are very real, and they are things I’m trying to put into practice on a daily basis. I think readers want to hear from someone who is a fellow pilgrim, more than they want to hear form someone who has it all together at all times.


What's more important to your platform, education or personal experience? Why?


Without a doubt, experience. I was home-schooled until the age of five at which point my mother gave up on me and handed me over to the government. I learned lots in school but forgot most of it by recess. I suppose I haven’t let learning get in the way of a good education. My writing is about real life stuff: children, failure, hardship, success, and money. Apart from failure and hardship, all of these things came about after I graduated. And though I make fun of my education, I will stand in front of 8,000 public school teachers in a few months, doing the very thing I got in trouble for back in school: making them laugh.


How does your message or your book(s) meet a need that others do not?


My latest book Family Squeeze looks at life from the vantage point of middle age, of being stuck in a house with three teenagers and my two aging parents who lived for a time in a suite we built for them. Most books about this time of life are clinical and a wee bit preachy. My take on this has been to tell the story and let readers find themselves in it.


What are your major marketing strategies?


Radio and TV and spare no expense on a website . It’s the best business card - apart from a book - that I know. The building of an email list has been a help. I speak to about 50,000 people live each year, and have a sign-up sheet for my goofy email update. I do all I can to stay in touch with those who market my books, and make it easy for people to buy bulk quantities of books. I have two agencies who promote my speaking, but the best promoters are those who have been deeply touched by what you have to say, those who have attended an event where they were moved and as a result want to hear more, and tell their friends.



What helped you the most when attempting to clarify your call or platform?


The confirmation of others helped a lot. The feedback from readers who felt I was filling a need that no one else was…the need to laugh about things that we all share in common, and to laugh with some hope attached. In time I made the decision to never travel alone, and that has been huge because the friends who travel with me keep me rather humble and tell me the truth.


Any books or classes that you'd suggest to other writers?


I would recommend all of my books. They have changed my life. Seriously, I'm a fan of writing conferences for budding writers. There's very little real work done, but lots of networking.


What career would you pursue if you couldn't write or speak?

Court stenography. I’d be awesome. I type fast. I’m a good listener. And I can smile when criticized.


2 comments:

  1. Hey Phil - looking forward to reading the latest edition. Oh, and did I tell you? - when people read your endorsement on One Smooth Stone they always smile. Some even laugh. They seem to know your rep.!
    Bless you. :)Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil,

    You have a unique and wonderful gift, I lost track of the number of times I laughed out loud and then teared up while reading Family Squeeze.

    Thanks for sharing with with us.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.