Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Monday, June 16, 2008

Cynthia Hickey lives in AZ with her husband and seven children. She writes for Barbour Publishing, Inc.

What book or project is coming out or has come out that you’d like to tell us about?

FUDGE-LACED FELONIES, the first book in the Summer Meadows Mystery series releases with Barbour’s Heartsong Mystery book club around July 1, 2008. Books two and three, CANDY-COATED SECRETS and CHOCOLATE-COVERED CRIME are scheduled for release in 2009. The books are available in retail six months after their book club release.

Tell us about your journey to publication. How long had you been writing before you got the call you had a contract, how you heard and what went through your head.

I’ve been making up stories since I was a teenager. I seriously began writing in 2000, and practiced the publishing process with three POD books. I call it practice because it only gave me a small taste of what the publishing world is really like. Then in 2007, I entered my manuscript, BURIED BENEATH THE MIDNIGHT BLUE in the RWA Great Expectations contest where I won first place in the inspirational category. That obtained me my agent, Kelly Mortimer who I signed with in August.

At the ACFW conference that September, Susan Downs of Barbour presented me with a contract during Friday’s luncheon. When she spoke about the person being presented, I looked around the room, thinking what a coincidence that someone else in that room was an army brat and had done foster care for nine years. It wasn’t until my agent pushed me out of my seat that I realized it was me.



Do you still experience self-doubts regarding your work?

Oh, yeah. Through every aspect of the writing.

What mistakes have you made while seeking publication?

Some people would say going POD was a mistake. I don’t. I wasn’t ready for the “real” publishing world, but the POD route taught me I could write more than one book and I could meet deadlines.


What’s the best advice you’ve heard on writing/publication?

Learn, learn, learn. Read, read, read. Pray, pray, pray. And not necessarily in that order.

Do you plot or are you an SOTPer?

I’m a seat-of-the-pantser. I start with a very minimal out-line having the crime and character first. Then the villain and work at putting all the pieces together.

Do you begin writing with a synopsis in hand, or do you write as the ideas come to you?

The synopsis is the hardest part. I used to write it at the end, now I write it as I go. After I finish each chapter.

What’s something you wish you’d known earlier that might have saved you some time/frustration in the publishing business?

I thought writing the book was the hard part! But no, there’s marketing the next book, making contacts, maintaining a website, etc.

Is there a particularly difficult set back that you’ve gone through in your writing career you are willing to share?

Not really. Although writing through the trials our adopted teenager puts us through often makes it difficult to get in the mood.

How do you think reading the work of others helps you as a writer?

It lets me find time for pleasure and keeps me on top of what’s being published in today’s market.

What piece of writing have you done that you’re particularly proud of and why?

I absolutely love my Summer Meadows series. The characters are a hoot!

Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?

How short a paperback book’s shelf life is.

How many drafts to you edit before submitting to your editor?

Depends on how yucky I think the first one is, but usually two.

We often hear how important it is to write a good query letter to whet the appetite of an editor. What tips can you offer to help other writers pen a good query?

Short, sweet, and to the point. Whatever it takes to get the editor to read more than the first page. You’ve got to have a great hook.

Was there ever a time in your writing career you thought of quitting?

Never. Writing is as important as breathing. I’m a writer. Writer’s write, whether the manuscript ever sees book form or not.

How much marketing/publicity do you do? Any advice in this area?

I haven’t begun marketing for my new release yet other than interviews, website, designing bookmarks and postcards. My POD”s were always top seller at my local Barnes and Noble local author booksigning. I’ve established a relationship with the event coordinator who will launch a book party when the book becomes available for retale.

Have you received a particularly memorable reader response?

With my first POD, my Junior High Science teacher looked me up and said how proud of me she was. She even recommended the book to my hometown library. I cringed at that. The writing wasn’t very good, but those who read it gave a very favorable response. I’m excited about them reading my new work.

Parting words?

Keep learning the craft and rely on God to open doors. If it’s His will, He will, but in his time. Did I mention writing requires patience?Thank you so much for having me here!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know you could write a mystery by the sotp method. That is wonderful! Your brain must be very organized.

    Great interview.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.