Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Author Interview ~ Carole Whang Schutter

I’ve always been a romantic who has had the good fortune to live in romantic places. Born and raised in Honolulu, Hawaii with its enormous diversity of culture filled me with stories from around the world and nurtured my love of history and the people who came before us. From there, I moved to Aspen, Colorado which is completely unique and different from almost any place on earth. I experienced a world of glamour, excitement, and tragedy.


The desire to inspire others and to cause people to think inspires me to write. If anyone finds enjoyment in what I write, or finds something profound that will change or better their life, or finds comfort, inspiration, or a kernel of knowledge that affects their thinking and/or world of feelings, then I have done what I was supposed to do.
Now, at a time when most people are heading for retirement, I have finally jump-started my writing career. Thanks to the Lord Jesus Christ, I became part of the 1.1% of all screenwriters that ever get a movie made. The book, by the same name, was based on the movie, “September Dawn.”

Time to crow: What new book or project do you have coming out?

I’ve optioned a romantic family movie about a historical character. She is a wonderful character and I write about her as a young girl and teenager. She is Granuaile O’Malley, otherwise known as the pirate queen of Ireland. She is my Pirate Princess. We hope to begin production sometime next year.

I am also redoing a historical family saga I started years ago called “The Ohana,” which means family in Hawaii. It covers three generations of three immigrant families to Hawaii. A Korean family, a Japanese family, and an Irish family. It is the story of how their lives merge against the backdrop of Hawaiian history, the Great Depression, World War II and the Vietnam War. Quite a project. Maybe someday it will become a mini-series, for now it is a novel.

How did you come up with this story? Was there a specific 'what if' moment?

One day, while driving through Colorado and talking to God about my lost dreams of becoming a writer, an idea popped into my head about a girl going to the California Gold Rush. I imagined a band of Mormons, dressed as Indians, attacking the wagon train and killing almost everyone. The girl was the daughter of a pastor who fell in love with the son of a Mormon Bishop. The idea wouldn’t leave me. I researched the Internet and found the story of the Mountain Meadow Massacre. I was astounded. I felt it was supposed to be a screenplay but I didn’t know how to write a screenplay. Not knowing how to write a screenplay was a technicality. Years before, the Lord made sure I became friends with Christopher and Sharon Cain. He was a movie producer/director and screenwriter. And in a flash, my dream of becoming a writer was restored.

The only ‘what if’ moment was when I was trying to decide whether or not to risk being laughed at by taking my version of a screenplay to Chris. But he’s such a nice guy, I knew he wouldn’t tell anyone if it were really awful.

Every novelist has a journey. How long was your road to publication? How did you find out and what went through your mind?

I didn’t decide to do the novel until the eve of actually shooting the movie. After I wrote it, I got Kathi Macias, an incredible editor and teacher, to edit my book. I got an agent, Greg Johnson, pretty fast and we started the process of trying to get a publisher. About five months past with no luck and the movie was scheduled to be released. Greg told me no one would be able to get out the book in time for the movie. I talked to Kathi who is a writer too and we all decided that I needed to get the book out in time for the movie. Kathi suggested Authorhouse as a self-publisher and they were great. They got my book out quickly and did a great job with the cover.

Do you ever bang your head against the wall from the dreaded writer's block? If so, how do you overcome it?

Yes, of course. Sometimes I force myself to just write anything and it begins to flow. Other times, I just have to take a break. If the block lasts too long, I seek God and that always works.

Novelists sometimes dig themselves into a hole over implausible plots, flat characters or a host of other problems. What's the most difficult part of writing for you (or was when you first started on your novel journey)?

I don’t do outlines so sometimes I just can’t move the story forward. I don’t know where to go. That is when I go hiking (except during the winter) and pray. It is a time of quiet and meditation. At other times I simply ask God, “What do I do next?” I need to get so into my characters and their lives in order for me to write the story. So, at times I just meditate on what I’ve already written and the next part of the story jumps out at me.

How did (or do) you climb out (overcome it)?

I think I’ve answered that. Through prayer and meditation with God.

Where do you write: In a cave, a coffeehouse, or a cozy attic nook?

I have a home office surrounded by pictures of my family with French doors that look out at the mountains through the tall trees in my yard.

What does a typical day look like for you?

Unfortunately, my days are full of junk. However, before I even get out of bed, I try to pray. That sets the mood for the day. Soon after, the phone starts ringing, and I have the inescapable problems of life to attend to. Then there are the interviews, emails, and news to read or watch. After that, I try to ski or hike a few hours each day, depending on the season. Three times a week, I try to get a workout in.

I write at night when the phone is mostly silent and the house is quiet. I think, work, and create better at night.

Some authors report writing 5-10 thousand words a day. Do scenes flow freely from your veins or do you have to tweeze each word out?

I don’t know how many words I write a day but when I’m flowing, I write until my back screams in pain.

Briefly take us through your process of writing a novel—from conception to revision.

I just sit down and write from start to finish. I’m constantly revising in between and after the “finish.” I have to stop myself from going overboard on the galleys and revising them over and over again. It seems I have to make myself stop polishing my writing. As Chris (my co-writer and director/producer) says “When you say you’re finished, you’ve only just begun.”

What are a few of your favorite books (not written by you) and why are they favorites?

I love historical fiction, like James Michener, Leon Uris, Ken Follett, and James Clavell. I love romantic stuff like Nicholas Sparks. Having been married to a lawyer, I enjoy John Grisham. But most of the time, I read inspirational books by Joel Osteen, Larry Huchs, Rick Warren, and others. Of course, my all time favorite is the Bible and of course, like all romantics, I love Gone With The Wind.

What’s the best writing advice you’ve heard?

Focus on a few characters and write only from their point of view. Keep that point of view consistent and don’t skip around from character to character in one scene. From Kathi Macias.

What do you wish you’d known early in your career that might have saved you some time and/or frustration in writing? In publishing?

I should have read Kathi Macias’ book Train of Thought Writing Method.

How much marketing do you do? What have you found that particularly works well for you?

I am trying the Internet to market my book. I’ve used publicists and because of the movie, I’ve done some TV and radio. A Daystar interview that appeared on GodTube did the best for me.

Do you have any parting words of advice?

I don’t know if I’m the right one to advise as everything I’ve done is outside of the norm. But I think getting a great editor like Kathi Macias is very important. One has to send in a clean manuscript. If you really believe in yourself and have the money, and the time to promote yourself, go to Authorhouse.

2 comments:

  1. What a unique journey. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those were my words, too, a unique journey. :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.