Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Sunday Devotion: Thanks to Teacher

Janet Rubin

My daughters and I have just finished reading a book about Helen Keller. The biography took us all through Helen's life: her babyhood bout with scarlet fever which left her deaf, dumb and blind; her lifetime friendship with teacher Anne Sullivan, who opened up the world of language to Helen, teaching her words by signing them into Helen's hand; the determination that enabled Helen to learn to write and speak and even attend Radcliffe University; her friendships with famous people like Mark Twain; and her extensive work to raise money and awareness to help provide education and opportunities for the blind. We followed up our reading with a viewing of the 1962 film "The Miracle Worker," starring Anne Bancroft and Patty Duke. My daughters and I were utterly amazed, trying to imagine a life without sight or sound, and wildly impressed at the things Helen was able to accomplish with neither.

One part of Helen's story impressed me like no other. After Anne Sullivan's death, Helen wanted to write a book about her. Teacher had invested her life completely in the endeavor of being Helen's eyes and ears, even going to college with Helen, spelling the professors' lectures and the words to all the required reading into her hand, doing hours of reading for Helen even as her own eyes failed. Helen was deeply thankful and wanted to document all that Teacher had done, so she began writing, which for Helen meant using a typewriter. She'd done a great deal of work on the manuscript when it was destroyed in a fire. There was no back-up disk, no extra copy. Only ashes. I couldn't begin to imagine the sense of loss. Yet, seven years later, Helen began work again on this book she eventually titled simply, Teacher, and it was published in 1955. Helen wrote many other books and articles, about herself and her passion for helping the blind.

And I'm left thinking, what have I to whine about? What are my excuses? I have eyes that see and ears that hear. I have a laptop, a myriad of writing resources, and an on-line network of contacts to help me. I have no physical limitations. I don't need to be desperately dependant on another person to help me understand what is going on around me. However, spiritually, I am dependant. And I do have a teacher. The Holy Spirit is the one who enables me to see spiritually. Without His guidance, I am just as blind and deaf as Helen was. But with His guidance, I have understanding and I am able to share what has been revealed to me through my writing.
God didn't give Helen Keller the gifts of sight, hearing, and easy speech, but He gave her a sharp mind, a strong and generous spirit, and a sense of determination that enabled her to do great things..and a great teacher. He gave us each whatever we need to do what He has called up to do. Am I limited if my computer crashes? If my writing ability doesn't equal that of the best-sellers? If I lose my sight? No. I have my life and I have my Teacher.

Lord, Thank You for my senses. Thank you for the life of Helen Keller and her example of a great attitude. You have given me much, the greatest gift being spiritual sight. You are my Teacher, and without you I am lost in the dark. Forgive me for trying to do this without You sometimes. Please help me to be thankful and diligent in using the tools you have given me to share the truth I have been so blessed to see with others. Amen


"Death is no more than passing from one room into another. But there's a difference for me, you know. Because in that other room I shall be able to see." Helen Keller


"Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light." Helen Keller

7 comments:

  1. Janet,
    I am here to visit and to let out a hearty "Amen" in response to this post. Thanks for another great devotion.

    Cup o'joy
    and a fresh taste of the bread of heaven to you...

    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet,

    What an impacting lesson for your girls, and a profound reminder for us all. The small bumps in life I've had to clamber over in order to write are molehills to Helen Keller's mountains.

    Good Sabbath to you. *s*

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, great word, Janet. I'm posting that last quote of Helen's in my office.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what an inspiring story! I knew parts of it but not others - now I want to check out the book that she wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, what a great post, Janet.

    Thanks for the timely inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.