Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Interview with editor, Susan Downs -- Part 2

An Oklahoma native, SUSAN K DOWNS is a descendant of Land Run pioneers. But life as a minister's wife has taken her far beyond her roots. While living in Texas, Susan frequently traveled to Russia as an adoption coordinator. Though now settled in Canton, Ohio, this mother of five and grandmother will always be an Okie at heart.



Describe the qualities of a perfect author?

I like authors who make me feel like they're happy when I call/email. A perfect author is one who is open to suggestions. . .no matter how many books they've published. I am not saying an author can't disagree about suggested revisions but there is a WAY to do that without acting put out. Basically, the perfect author is much the same as the perfect editor--there when you need them and not when you don't.

What are some of the pressures of being an editor launching a new line?

Heavens, I feel like so much of the responsibilty for the book club's success rests on my shoulders. Of course, I know the marketing department is responsible for promotion
but if the finished products don't measure up to the consumer's expectations, I'm to blame. So quite a bit of pressure, particularly since the decisions as to what books we publish is left up to me. And then there is the perennial pressure of deadlines of every sort, from manuscript deadlines to content review deadlines, to copy edit and typesetting, proofing and galley deadlines. . . I have to make sure every project is flowing smoothly down the pipeline
and make adjustments where needed, but let me hasten to say I absolutely LOVE my job.
I thank God for it every day. I mean, how many people are blessed like I am. . .to get PAID to read great books and to work with Spirit-filled authors?

What is your favorite moment as an editor?

My favorite moment as an editor may have come just last week when the finished product of our first cycle of books arrived. I pasted cover flats of the first eight books all over my office door. :) Some of the other department folks walked by and laughed at my enthusiasm, but it was almost like holding my own published books. There's no feeling like it! Years of work finally coming to fruition.



Another favorite moment has to be ACFW conference when I'm surrounded by all my mystery authors at the dinner table. I felt like a mother hen with her chicks. Oh, and offering the first contract to Cynthia Hickey was a huge thrill.

What are some of your pet peeves being an editor?


Pet peeves? Well, I'm really not much of a peevish person. Well, maybe one thing. Getting phone calls from authors who want to check on the progress of the proposal they submitted two weeks ago. Send me an email if you must, but don't call me. I don't like losing my place in a reading project to pick up the phone.

If a book doesn't sell well and has already been contracted for a sequel, is the solution to simply not contract for further series?



If we have already signed contracts, then we will fulfill those but not contract others. Many times we will contract the first with an option for subsequent books and wait to contract others until we see how that first one is received. I can only speak for myself, but I like to feel the author's personality coming through, rather than seeing a sterile, formula presentation Especially since cozy mysteries require a certain amount of quirk, I want to see that an author can express the quirky side of his/her own personality


What happens to a manuscript after it is contracted?


Once a contracted manuscript is received, I process it and send it to Candice Speare, who serves as my freelance content reviewer. As the title implies, she checks for accuracy issues in police procedurals and plot discrepancies or character issues. She will also look at the overall plot and characterization. She then interacts with the author directly to suggest revisions

2 comments:

  1. There's nothing like writing a cozy mystery! You get all elements--mystery, murder, intrigue, humor, and even a touch of romance. I love it! Thanks for the hours of hard work you put in to make this line a success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Susan. I'm taking note, I promise, in my never ending quest to be perfect. :)

    You're a perfect editor, too.

    Of course I haven't gotten my edits yet...still....

    The cozy mystery line is going to be great fun. I've loved writing those books, putting in my quirky characters. It's a complex form of writing with the clues and red herrings and detailed set up and wrap up, but I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.