Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Confessions of a Bibliophile

Little did I suspect that as I agreed to accompany my husband to visit friends in Oklahoma, it would turn out to be treasure trove of a book trip.

It started five minutes before we were about the leave. I suddenly remembered I'd not packed any reading material. (That alone would have been disaster. I'm reading Pride and Prejudice, and I'd just reached the part where Mr. Darcy proposes to Elizabeth Bennet.) So, I scrambled to the bedroom, found my beloved copy, then realizing how thin the volume was, I also grabbed Emma.

Any Janeite is already sensible that regardless of what else might have happened on this trip, I was prepared. Let there be a flat tire. I have Mr. Collins to entertain me.

Then, my husband pulled into an antique store that he's always wanted to show his friend. I eyed the derelict building's decor of rusty washing machines, piles of broken windows, and rusting car parts, wondering why he'd want to show anyone this place. Oh the places amazing little volumes can be found at.

Inside, a old man, wearing a mechanic's suits, told us stories about the tornados which had recently battered the woods near his house. Afterwards, as my husband inspected antique televisions, I stumbled upon a wall full of old books.

Now up until yesterday, had someone asked, I would have stated I cared little about the book itself, but more about the material inside. Why else would I want a Sony Reader or underline passages?


But at that moment, just for the mere pleasure of touching out of print books and reading the opening lines of novels that are no longer remembered, I became lost. Eventually, I found a book from 1866. It was bound with string instead of glue. Its leather cover was cracked and disintegrating. It was a college book intended to teach students how to translate Latin into English and visa versa. In pencil, those already sleeping had scribed their names and jotted notes. It wasn't worth more than the dollar I paid for it, but suddenly, I didn't want this edition sitting with other books that were mildewing, completely forgotten.

Then upon discovering I was interested in books, the elderly man showed me his back storeroom, where thirty years ago, he'd had a truckload of books from a closed library in Chicago had been deposited. Books that had been sitting there since I was a toddler were still slowly being sold (though the Mennonites, as he said, had just about bought up the bulk of them over time.) The only light in that windowless back room was a single bulb hanging directly in the bathroom. I had to squint to even see the book. (No I didn’t bring any into the bathroom to better see them. I was too afraid of brown recluses to dig too deeply.) I did find another book which for reasons I'm uncertain about, interested me. So I grabbed it and purchased it as well.

That book turned out to be a treasure. It was a grammar book from 1926, but instead of the usual methods of teaching grammar it was written for writers. Its exercises are intended to teach writers logic and teach them how to write clearly. I spent the next 8 hours on the road mentally untangling the sentences in their exercises. I can't remember the last time I was this thrilled over a book on writing.

I think on the way home, I'll bring a flashlight and see what else I find.


Okay, so maybe I'm not a true bibliophile, but I do show some promising tendencies.

What about you guys? Is it only the love of story that motivates you, or somewhere deep down is there just a plain old-fashion love of books?

8 comments:

  1. I love old books, too! To me, they are a mode of time travel. A method by which it is possible to tap into the experiences and emotions of having lived in an era gone by. Sometimes, it is even possible to become intimate friends with great people.

    My husband and I had a similar experience to yours when we went on a trip around the country in a camper. Stopping (at first by accident) at places such as you have described, we discovered that libraries were in a phase of dumping old books nationwide through an organization called "friends of the library." It struck us like Fahrenheit 451 -- we started saving treasures and finding priceless gems everywhere we went. Pretty soon, we had to by a trailer to cart them all home with us. Now, we are building our own personal library in our own house (what fun!) and have had to build another room onto the house just for that purpose. Meanwhile, we go on "rescuing" books and experiencing amazing things.

    At the moment, my husband is traveling with Roger's Rangers through the swamps for the first time, and I am reading about a regiment of Russian women combat fliers in WWII that were mostly in their teens and early twenties... to think I might have missed all those inspiring hero stories simply because I had no idea they existed.

    So, welcome to the wonderful world of "stumbled upon" -- and here's wishing you many more serendipity moments in your future travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I practically hyperventilated at the idea of a truckload of old books in someone's storeroom--just waiting for you! They are such treasures. I'm so glad you rescued a few.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a couple of very old editions, one tied with string like yours. It's a book of Longfellow poems, beginning with The Village Blacksmith.

    The other is an old edition of Dickens from the 1800s. My mother was a teacher and passed on to me her love of books and these old editions which had been given to her by a teacher/mentor.

    I treasure them. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL-- one of my critique partners e-mailed me and let me know that I accidentally used my character's name (Mr. Macy) instead of Mr. Darcy.

    How funny!! I fixed the post and my thanks to the person who e-mailed me.

    Thanks so much for the comments every one! I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves old books.

    D. ann, your library sounds scrumptious

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them. We have the COOLEST used book store next town over, The Book Barn. It's a bunch of buildings surrounded by all these crazy gardens full of fish ponds and funky statues. Cats and dogs roam through all the buildings freely. There's pots of free coffee all over and tables with checkerboards set up and waiting to be played. Buckets of umbrellas for going between buildings on rainy days. Old books, older books, antique books, every topic under the sun. I get all my kids' books there. Anyway, books? I love the smell and feel of them, and the diving into them. I love just having stacks of them around me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. : ). How cool, Jess.

    My grandma -- age 90 -- has given me some treasures. Most aren't useful for the content but there is something about the history within the fingerprints of those who've touched it before.

    I can't pass by a table or shelf of books without looking for one that will become mine. And the smell. Ahhh. Does anything smell better than a library?

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was a little girl, one of my greatest joys was accompanying my grandmother to the church basement sales. There, I would make a beeline for the boxes of books and gather all my arms could carry to read for the summer. It was in those boxes that I found such treasures as Girl of the Limberlost and many more that kept me occupied in my grandmother's front porch swing for hours. Ah, such delicious memories. I think if you love books it's just in your blood and there's just nothing you can do to change it. I have more books than shelves and my father is the same way. I'm convinced it must be genetic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Old books? You're talking my language, girl! My most prized find is a copy of Trench's Study of Words - a small leather bound and gold embosed copy of the lectures given by Dr. Trench to "The Diocesan Training School, Winchester, 1878. It's an absolute gem - I've used bits of it in speaking to writers' groups many times.
    :)Marcia

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.