Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Author Interview ~ Amber Miller

Amber Miller is the pen name for Tiffany Amber Stockton, an author and professional web site designer. Her name is derived from her middle and maiden names, as she was published before she got married in July 2007. She has sold three books to the Heartsong Presents line of Barbour Publishing, with the promise of the first book in a second potential series coming up next. Other writing credits include several writing articles for various publications, five short stories with Romancing the Christian Heart, and nine contributions to the book, 101 Ways to Romance Your Marriage. A born-again Christian since the age of seven, her faith in Christ has often sustained her through difficult experiences. She seeks to share that with others through her writing and always hopes her readers will be touched and inspired.

Plug time. What new book or project do you have coming out?

Promises, Promises is my first book. It released on February 15th from Barbour Publishing and is the first of three to release this year, all set during the Colonial times of America, from the Great Awakening to the Revolutionary War, with the focus on the area of what is now known as the state of Delaware. The second, Quills & Promises, releases in July, and the third, Deceptive Promises, releases in November. In 2009, all three will be repackaged into one anthology entitled Delaware Brides.

How did you come up with this story? Was there a specific 'what if' moment?

About five years ago, I was driving by a house that I passed almost every day while running my usual errands. This day, in particular, something made me stop the car on the other side of the road. I rolled down the window and looked at the historic marker at the edge of the driveway with a notation that said, “circa 1740.” I thought to myself, “If only those walls could speak.” What a story they would tell!

That started me on a research journey where I learned everything I could about the home, only to learn that not a lot was known or recorded about the actual family who lived there for nearly 200 years before the house and original land was sold at a state auction. So, being the writer that I am, I took a literary license and … made it up!

The ‘what if’ moment came when I tried to develop the story line for the first book. Without a lot of background, I had to rely on the elements I had learned would make a good story. Some excellent advice given to me included the method of taking your character to a point that seems hopeless…and making it worse. So, I asked, “What if a heroine with no siblings also loses her parents, then finds herself as the sole owner of land in a new world where women have no voice, feeling as if God has forsaken her?”

And thus, Promises, Promises was born!

Tell us about your publishing journey. How long had you been writing before you got a contract? How did you find out and what went through your mind?

My journey began many years ago. I wrote my first short story in 5th grade with several accolades from both my teacher and my fellow students. It was even entered into a ‘Young Writers of America’ contest and placed but didn’t get selected for publication. Ever since I learned to read at age 3-1/2, I’ve been telling stories, and I could often easily keep a captive audience. Writing seemed to be a natural progression from the verbal.

I wrote often, but it wasn’t until I was a Senior in high school that I got the ‘bug’ to write. My English teacher saw potential, and as an author herself, she encouraged me to pursue the talent further. However, I became more focused on finishing my education and getting my degree, so my writing took up residence on the back burner.
It wasn’t until 1997 when I wrote my first fan fiction and received a lot of encouragement and feedback that I realized I might be able to make something of this ability. It took me another 5 years and encouragement from Tracie Peterson (one of my favorite authors) before I took the step professionally to begin a career by joining a national organization called ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers), then known as ACRW (American Christian Romance Writers).

I did everything I could to improve my skills and develop my craft. I bought writing books, studied a wide variety of fiction, conversed with other writers and authors, attended conferences, purchased audio recordings of workshops and presentations, and soaked up as much information as I could handle. Almost 5 years later, I sold my first book and took a rather scary step into the world of authorship.

Do you ever struggle with writer's block? If so, how do you overcome it?

Quite often, actually. However, it usually doesn’t last long. I might draw a blank for five minutes or so, but I can get going again not long after that. If I’m completely stuck and cannot find a way to move the scene in front of me along, then I jump to another scene and leave a marker in my manuscript to come back to that scene once I’ve filled in spots further along in the story. Oftentimes, the act of writing something that will happen in the near future to my characters gives me the incentive and inspiration I need to jumpstart the scene that had me stuck before.

I am by no means a stickler to writing a book in order. Movie and TV producers don’t film them in order. Why should I write a book from start to finish?

What is the most difficult part of writing for you (or was when you first started on your writing journey), i.e. plot, POV, characterization, etc?

Thankfully, the general issues like point-of-view or showing vs. telling don’t present as much trouble as they do for a lot of beginning writers. For me, it’s often the lack of description of the surroundings and setting the scene that caused holes in my stories.

Dialogue always comes easy as does the progression of a scene. But establishing unique descriptions or characteristics for my characters to make them individuals in their own right and not cookie-cutter or two-dimensional continued to vex me. So, I went back to studying a variety of fiction books to see how other authors did it. I also asked Linda Windsor (who mentored me through my first book) to point out to me areas where I could develop a character more and to give me an example of one scene before and after.

The Writer’s Digest books on Characters, Description and Setting also were of great help to me. Other than that, I sent my manuscript or troubling scenes to readers and asked them to make comments on what worked or didn’t work for them. Once I received that feedback back, I read it over, then stepped away for a day or two from my book to digest it. When I returned, I had a fresher outlook and perspective that enabled me to do what was needed. Sometimes, it was a small fix, and other times it required multiple alterations throughout the book.

I am still far from mastering this challenge, and it remains the biggest area that requires edits from my rough draft. But every author has a pet challenge, right?

Where do you write? Do you have a dedicated office or a corner or nook in a room?


I used to. It was my office next door to my bedroom. But, that was before the days of my laptop. Now, my writing goes where I go. These days, it’s the oversized couch in the living room where I can stretch out and snuggle with my blankets while having my ‘comfort foods and drink’ next to me within easy reach. I can be warm and comfortable at the same time, and that gives me the ideal setting in which to write. There are times, though, when I need the ‘noise’ of other people and activity, so I might go to the closest Panera Bread and sit with a cup of green tea or hot chocolate. When the weather is nice, I sit on the deck.

Do you have a word or page goal you set for each day?

No. I find that if I set a goal and don’t meet it for whatever reason, it makes me feel like I’ve failed, and that’s the quickest way for me to lose my motivation. So, I simply make a goal to write every day, even if it’s just 2-300 words. I don’t often stop at that, though, as once I get rolling, the words flow.

On a deadline, though, I divide the days I have left by the words I need to write and do everything I can to meet that goal. I don’t have much of a choice, otherwise.

You also own your own web design business. How do you balance writing and web design?

It is often a difficult balance to strike. Because I get requests all throughout the day, I have to discipline myself not to stop writing in order to check email unless I’m truly stuck or taking a legitimate break. Even then, I have to force myself to stick to my writing and allow the early mornings or early evenings for client work.

Basically, I work both ‘careers’ in the same way. I set aside certain time for both, and that becomes my focus time. If a client requires an immediate update or emergency, obviously, I bump that to the top of the list. If I’m on a deadline, I usually let my clients know and ask that they hold their changes or requests until after that specific date. If they can’t, then I carve out time to take care of what needs to be done.

The primary thing that helps me is the definitive acceptance that these are my careers and they pay the bills. It takes discipline and self-control to successfully strike the balance. Do I always succeed? No. Is it easy? Not a bit. But, are my clients and editors forgiving as long as there is a valid reason for the delay? You bet. If the delay is due to my own laziness, I sacrifice sleep or give up a movie and computer games to make up for it.

Of course, the best part about my design business is that most of my clients are authors or speakers, with a handful in the entertainment industry. So, quite often, my two careers intertwine and provide me with the optimal enjoyment doing what I do.

What does a typical day look like for you?

Well, since I also work part-time at the local Christian bookstore and run a web design business from home, I don’t have a ‘typical’ day, per se…unless I’m on a deadline, of course! Then, almost everything else takes a back seat or gets shoved to the back burner. However, I rise early (most days) with my husband and send him off to work first thing. Then, I sit down at my computer and go through any email, respond and take care of business, make any updates to client web sites or work on design elements that are pressing in nature, and finally get to my writing.

On the days that I work at the bookstore, I only have a few hours in the morning to write, but I also write at night as a way to unwind after a long day. These days are usually busy until about 8pm, and if I wrote before work, then I sometimes respond to email or do some web work. It all depends on the inspiration or the motivation that strikes.

On days that I remain home with nowhere to go, I try to set a page count minimum and stick to it. And I usually end up doing marketing work, watching a movie or playing a computer game to break up the day as I write. My errands are usually run first thing in the morning.

Take us through your process of writing a novel briefly—from conception to revision.

Wow! This is a loaded question. But, since I wrote my very first complete book in 17 days and my second in 23 days, I’ll use those one as the ‘brief’ process. When I get an idea for a book, I usually sit down immediately and dump my thoughts on paper, then save it. That way, even if I can’t write immediately, I’ll have the idea saved.

From the time the idea strikes, I begin planning what types of events and situations I’ll include. I start with my 2 primary characters and build upon them with friends, family and acquaintances. I put at least one of them (maybe two or three) in a situation to open the book by jumping right into the action, then let the story tell itself from there. I don’t often have an exact plan how the story will go, but I have a general guideline and outline to use as reference.

When I really get into a story, the words fly from my fingers. Because I am a bit of a perfectionist, I can’t often progress forward until I’m certain I have the primary bits of the story in place before moving to the next chapter. This means I might stop in the middle of a scene to do a little research or consult a writing book on how to ‘fix’ a problem that’s bogging me down. If I can’t find it within 5-10 minutes, though, I skip it, make a notation, and move on.

This process continues until I type the last word of the book. Then, I take a few days off from the story and come back to it with fresh eyes to do the revisions and edits. Since I am overly detailed in the initial draft, revisions for me don’t usually take too long. Even when I get the edits back from my editor after submission, most of the changes are minor compared to the overall flow and characterization and motivations throughout the story.

My own changes, the ones from my editors, and the suggestions from a couple of select readers who preview my work, all combine and take me a maximum of two weeks of work after the first draft is done. Altogether, it would probably take me 4-6 weeks to write a novel.

What are some of your favorite books (not written by you)?

Aww, shucks. You mean I’m not allowed to list my own books? Actually, I’m not sure I would at this stage in the game. Don’t get me wrong. I love what I write, but there are far more authors out there who have been in this business longer than I and who have had many more years to perfect their craft. I know I still have a lot to learn.

That being said, for the most part, I read historical, but I also enjoy contemporary romantic comedy and women’s fiction (or issue-driven stories). Because my reading time is more limited now that I’m writing, I have to be more selective. What I look for is a good story, well-developed characters and a believable situation where I can relate to what the characters are experiencing or accept why they react the way they do. I want characters to be based in reality, be well-grounded in faith and family and have strong motivations for their actions without seeming two-dimensional. Humor is usually a good thing too.

Some books that I believe fit this bill are (and I’m looking at the few books I’ve actually kept on my bookshelf as I type this):


The Bible
Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
A Bride Most Begrudging by Deeann Gist
The Ribbons West and Ribbons of Steel series by Tracie Peterson and Judith Pella
It Had to be You by Linda Windsor
Almost anything by Jane Eyre
The Caitlin series by Francine Pascal
The Conviction of Charlotte Grey by Jeanne Cheyney
Mrs. Mike by Benedict and Nancy Freedman

What’s the best writing advice you’ve heard?

Linda Windsor’s advice that, “Rejections are footprints in the sands of your career. If you’re not getting them, you’re not moving,” stands out foremost in my mind.

The other is, “You have to read in order to write. Immerse yourself in a wide variety of writing styles, find your own voice and stick to it. Then, write, write, write.” However, I don’t know who it was that said that. Somehow, I managed to save it without jotting down the originator.

What do you wish you’d known early in your career that might have saved you some time and/or frustration in writing? In publishing?

Well, I am not the ‘common’ story, or what appears to be the more popular path taken in the publishing world. I was published before I turned 30 and have books released before any kids have come. So, I have already established a pattern and routine and placed a certain spotlight on my writing that will transition with the growth of my family. What this means is that I won’t have to try to convince my family of the importance of my writing and my career. They will see it first hand and know it from the start.

But if I could latch onto something I wish I had known, it would be the knowledge that being younger in this industry isn’t always better. It just means I have to work twice as hard to be ‘accepted.’ I have often encountered folks who are fifteen or twenty years older or even twice my age and more, who have treated me with the belief that because I have not passed certain rites of passage or earmarks along the way, I don’t ‘qualify’ as a bonafide success or one who can offer any advice to others.

On the flip side, I have encountered others who have been inspired by my goals and determination and have found their own inspiration as a result. They commend me for going for what I wanted early in life, and gain a newfound desire in their own lives. The numbers in this group far outnumber the ones in the first group, but that doesn’t mean the struggle is any easier.

For publishing, it would be knowing just how much work would have to go into marketing in order to spread the word and get yourself known. It often feels like you against everyone else out there, and you have to stay on top of everything in order to keep up with the competition.

However, God wouldn’t have called me to this or provided the tools I needed to reach this point if He wasn’t going to stick with me and guide me through it. I know I still have a lot to learn, and I still don’t know all that I need to know about marketing strategies or pumping out a book that has the potential to become a best-seller, or even about developing a guaranteed story line that an editor will snatch and want to buy within minutes of seeing it. What I do know is that I am remaining teachable and doing all I can to learn from those who have gone before me so that I might one day pass the torch as they have.

How much marketing do you do? What have you found that particularly works well for you?


I am almost always doing some form of marketing, even if it’s nothing more than making a brief note in an email reply or posting a comment on a blog or forum and listing my web site or the name of my current book. Gone are the days when you can write a book and let the publishing company handle everything. They are behind you, yes, but when you partner with them, you go ten times as far!

Some things that have worked well for me were registering my domain name very early in the game and setting up a site as soon as I had something to put on it. That didn’t mean I waited until I had a book. On the contrary, I only waited until I had a bio, a resume of writing credits and some sample pieces of writing.


My site blossomed into including a blog and author interviews on the main page of my site, and eventually I also ended up posting the fan fiction I wrote years ago. Because those audiences are still out there and discovering my stories, I gain traffic. A good number of them loved my writing then and have followed me throughout my career to the point of purchasing my first book.

My web site works 24-7 for me, even when I’m sleeping. Readers connect with me there and learn about my writing. It’s been proven that readers who know more about an author are more likely to pick up a book by him/her than an author that remains virtually invisible.

Adding my web site URL to my signature in my emails and everything you write electronically has helped too. You’d be amazed where visitors might see your site and what might bring them to you.

For non-electronic marketing, I invested in business cards, brochures, flyers, magnets, post-it notes, stationery, etc., and had my web site, contact information and what I do printed on them in various levels of detail. It is always handy to have a business card with me at all times, as I never know when I might encounter someone who becomes interested in my work and wants to know more.

Finally, I try to carve out time to visit and comment on blogs or online journal sites or forums that are connected in some way to what I write and leave my web site URL in those comments. Other readers who might be interested in what I have to say have visited my site and taken a look at what I have to offer.

Becoming familiar with the bookstores in your area is also important. Once you sell a book, start developing a relationship with the manager and employees or the ones in charge of author publicity and promotion.

Bottom line: Do as much as you can yourself. The more you can do, the better your chances are for selling more books.

Do you have any parting words of advice?

Writing is not for the faint of heart. It takes a lot of hard work, determination, patience, perseverance and faith. And it won’t happen overnight. You have to maintain a teachable spirit and be open to constructive criticism, no matter how far along in your writing journey you get. In the end, the rewards far outweigh all the sweat and tears you shed along the way. Most importantly, if you feel this is the path for you, never give up!


Want to know more about Tiffany Amber Stockton? Check out her profile on Shoutlife or visit Eagle Designs at http://www.eagle-designs.com/

3 comments:

  1. Great interview, Tiff & Lisa. Insightful. But where are the infamous slippers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! No one asked me about the quirkiest part of me or something unique that identifies me, etc. Otherwise, those Tiki birds would have made an appearance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amber! Congratulations on your book. Thanks for sharing your journey and it's good to see you over here at NJ!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.