Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Sunday Devotion- Mo and Bro

Janet Rubin

By now, you novel journeymen and women know a great deal about me. I don’t think I’ve mentioned yet that besides being a writer, home school mom, college student and general nutcase, I am also a leader in our church’s youth group. This is a new adventure for me this year, but something I’ve felt called to for some time. My main function at youth group has been “snack lady.” A pretty good gig really. I mean the kids might get annoyed with the youth pastor when he tells them to “Quiet down!”, or roll their eyes at the other "uncool" parent/leaders when they try to talk to them… but what teenager doesn’t like the lady who hands them a cupcake and a cup of iced tea? Snacks? No problem. I'm your woman!

There is another part of youth group. After the worship, announcements, Bible lesson, and such, comes “small group time,” a time for discussion questions and prayer. Up until a couple of weeks ago, I was just assisting another woman leader who lead our small group of junior high girls, but for some reason, things got switched around and I found myself ALONE with a group of junior high girls. How can I describe this horrible experience? I felt like George Bush leading a meeting full of Hillary Clinton supporters. Well, sort of. The girls weren’t hostile or anything. There were more like comatose. I kept reading my lame discussion questions, and they kept silently gawking at me, like an audience of Vulcans watching a comedian. I rambled. I tried to be funny. I tried to be deep. The looks on their faces said it all. I could hear Sean’s group nearby, laughing as they all animatedly traded stories. I could see Karla’s group bent over their Bibles, searching for the answer to some question. And Tony’s group, huddled in prayer. With 15 minutes to go and no hope of recovery, I skipped prayer and said, “Soooo, who wants to help me set up the snacks?”

Once the kids left I approached Rachel, the youth pastor’s wife, and confessed to her what a dismal failure I was as a small group leader. I assured her that I wasn’t dropping out of youth group and would continue being the lemonade-mixer, and keeper of the chips and salsa, and helping in any other way. But that I couldn’t- simply couldn’t- lead a small group. She assured me that was totally fine, and I appreciated her gracious understanding, but went home feeling useless. I felt inferior to Tony, Sean, and Karla. What they were doing was the stuff that mattered- connecting with the kids, teaching them, praying with them.

At home, I retreated to my comfort zone, snuggled on the couch with my laptop. Before I left church, Rachel had reminded me of my idea about having the kids do skits. I though about what we’d read during bible time that night from Exodus and started typing. By the next morning, I had two weeks worth of skits about "Mo and Bro." I had a ridiculous amount of fun writing them and was delighted with the end result. Here’s an excerpt:

Aaron: I can’t believe you got me involved. This was supposed to be your gig. Couldn’t you just do what God said and leave me out of it, Mo?

Mo: Dude, you know I can’t do public speaking. Remember that play in high school?

Aaron: (laughing) Oh yeah, your big role in Pirates of the Nile?

Mo: Remember how I was always fine in practice, but then on opening night I couldn’t say my lines? I was shaking, sweating. I felt like I was going to hurl, and I couldn’t say anything!

Aaron: Yeah, you looked like an idiot.

Mo: Oh, thanks a lot bro.

Aaron: Well, you did.

Mo: I know it, okay?! That’s why I need you to talk to Pharaoh. Getting a king to set a million slaves free is just a tad bit scarier than playing Captain Jack in a play…

Aaron: you really did look like an idiot.

Mo: All right, already. At least I wasn’t the one who had to be the water boy for the Cairo Camels football team.

Aaron: (sheepishly mumbling) I could have played if I wanted; I liked getting the water.

Mo: Whatever. (lowering voice) Okay, we’re here. You’re doing the talking, so you go first. (Aaron rolls eyes.) We’ll do it just like God said. We’ll go in there, and you tell Pharaoh to let our people go. God said he won’t listen to us, and that he’ll ask for a miracle…and then I’ll do that thing God said to do with the staff.

Aaron: Okay, let’s do it. (Mo and Bro do cool brother handshake and enter throneroom...)


So, throughout the week, I emailed teens and leaders, and was pleasantly surprised to find all enthusiastic about performing. Last night was our premiere performance. The actors were marvelous, the kids laughed in all the right spots, and more of them expressed an interest in drama. I went home feeling much better than I had the week before, having been reminded again that God made us all different, each with different gifts and functions. There is a place for me and a place for all.


Today I stopped by church for something and saw our groundskeeper, Jerry, in our huge gravel parking lot. He was quietly serving as he always does, carrying heavy shovelfuls of dirt and rocks and filling in the gouges and potholes left by the last snow-plowing. He smiled broadly and waved at me, then went back to work, looking contented. I thought how grateful I am for Jerry, and how unhappy I’d be doing his job, and how smart God was to design His church in such a way that there are people to do everything that needs to be done.

Are you feeling badly about some gift you don’t have? Feeling envious of others who do have those gifts? God has a purpose for you. Ask Him what it is. When you serve using the gifts He gave you, it will fill you with pleasure and bless others.

1 Corinthians 12:18-20 But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. If they were all one part, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, but one body.

6 comments:

  1. The response you had during small group -- the Vulcan stare -- may have been them processing what you were saying and adding more to the profile of Janet. "Oh, she's more than the snack lady. Hmmmm?!?"

    If you feel led get back in there. Trust me. I know what I'm talking about...this time. : ) Glad you shared your skit...I told you it was good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kelly! Thanks for commenting. I know what you are saying. It's hard for me to put into words what I'm saying. Sometimes you KNOW when something is not your gift. It wasn't just the kids' reactions. It was me and my consistent dread of that sort of interaction with them. I'm still there, available for God's use and doing my best for the youth. My main point is just how cool it is when you realize that what you ARE good at has a place in God's plan, that He did give you something that is unique and that's it's OKAY if you aren't gifted in the same way others are. Its thrilling to be able to use my writing in this way. Remember that knitted hat picture on my blog? I'm thinking of having a knitting and pizza afternoon for the youth soon. You know, grab a few ladies with knitting skills and teach those teenaged girls how to knit. In that sort of situation, I'm great a joking and chatting with them while we work on something. Hats for the homeless? Blankets for the pregnancg support center? Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Up until a couple of weeks ago, I was just assisting another woman leader who lead our small group of junior high girls, but for some reason, things got switched around and I found myself ALONE with a group of junior high girls. How can I describe this horrible experience?"

    Oh, how I know this ole switch-a-roo scenerio! (it happens too often to too many) Nothing like feeling inadequate, unprepared and ill-equipped. And I believe God does fill in our gaps at such a time. I've found myself "trapped" too many times, mainly from a lack of boundaries. I can say there's nothing BETTER than when you've found the niche that God created you for...It's the trapped times that make the "niche times" shine.

    There ARE many body parts. We just have to find ours, and put it to use. That's when the body of Christ is fully alive.

    Thanks for the reminder, Janet!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great devotion Janet! Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

    I used to work with junior high girls too. While I can't remember ever having my group stare blankly at me, I do remember having to work hard to keep them on topic.

    I loved the skit excerpt you shared. I think you've found your calling (in addition to supplying the cupcakes of course :-))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also started working with our church youth group this year (as a leader, not the snack lady, unfortunately!) so could identify with this! I'm still working on getting to know the kids and hang out with them... you have a great chance to do that over the snacks. And I love the skit! That's a great idea for getting kids into the Bible stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janet, the best time I ever had with drama was with the middle school teens. They loved it, wanted to be there, and were fantastic! If you follow with this, toss them soem improvs to do. Teens love to do improvs! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.