Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Research 101 by Elizabeth Ludwig

I read an interesting article the other day. The author sprinkled in bits of humor that made it fun to read. Except…they cited a stretch of highway on IH10 from Port Charles, Louisiana to Beaumont, Texas.

Um…Port Charles is the fictional town from General Hospital.

Living close to the area the author described, I knew the name of the city is actually Lake Charles. While it didn’t make me dislike the author, it did pull me from an otherwise captivating story.

Another example: I read a wonderful book last month. The characters were funny, the setting vivid. Except…the heroine drove a silver Beamer. Now, BMW aficionados will quickly inform you that the correct spelling is Bimmer.

I know, I know. These are petty examples, and yet…the editor in me was a little irritated that two such easily verified facts were overlooked. Suddenly, the author’s credibility was questionable. What else wasn’t right?

New authors, especially, make the mistake of thinking that only writers of historical fiction need to research what they write. Nothing could be further from the truth. Readers are smart. They want to believe you know what you’re talking about, and they trust that you do—until you don’t. After that, it’s very difficult to win that reader back, which makes getting it right the first time doubly important.

There are different means to accomplishing this. Some writers stop what they’re doing and conduct the research immediately. I like to highlight the information I’m questionable about. That way I'll be sure to catch it later, but I can continue writing without interruption. Either way you can be certain of one thing—readers want truth and accuracy, even if it is all fiction, which proves my English/Literature teacher was right after all.

As far back as elementary school, I’ve always had at least one teacher whose standard answer to every question was, ‘look it up.’

If I asked how to spell something, they said, ‘look it up.’ Now wait a minute. How in the world am I going to look up a word I don’t know how to spell?

If I asked who the 13th president of the United States was, they said, ‘look it up.’ Does that mean that they didn’t KNOW who the 13th president was?

Irritating as it was at the time, that ‘look it up’ philosophy has proven to be very beneficial. Now that I’m writing full time, I find myself ‘looking it up’ more than ever. So, as my Christmas present to you, here are a three of my favorite sites, places I go time and again whenever I find myself having to research.

1.
Wikipedia Who’d thunk it? After all those years of looking it up in World Book, my favorite source for online research would be another encyclopedia! But this is so much more than your average fact book. Besides pages and pages of helpful information, this nifty site includes more than your local library with its Help Desk, Reference Desk, multiple language capability and Community Portal. Got a question? Post it Wikipedia’s bulletin board! Also, be sure to check out all of Wikipedia’s sister sites, including Wiktionary and Wikiversity.

2.
DEA – Official site of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration. What better place to research illegal drugs, law enforcement, or drug policy, than from the pros themselves? Referred to me by an actual police officer, this site has proven to be a valuable tool, full of beneficial information. Best of all, I know it’s accurate.

3.
The Writer’s Medical and Forensics Lab Okay, so unless you’re a medical examiner, you probably don’t know how long it takes for rigor mortis to set in, or what the effects of monkshood are on a person’s nervous system. But this guy does, and let me tell you, he’s good. Post your question, wait anywhere from a few hours to a few days, and voila! He’ll email you back with a detailed answer to your question, as well as offer suggestions for tricky scenarios and twisted plots. Not to mention he has several books available for purchase. I’m adding two of them to my wish list!

And that’s it, the short list. I’ve got lots of places bookmarked, but these are by far my top three ‘go to’ places on the web.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this. I'll look up those sites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Research is one of the most important things about writing! Readers have all sorts of strange little facts stuck in their head, like me. And I never know when one of those facts will be something that the author should have looked up.

    I flat out refuse to read anything written by Fern Michaels. I read one of her horse racing books a few years back. I'm not an expert on Thoroughbred breeding and racing, but I know enough to know when somebody doesn't know what they're talking about. It seemed to me that she did zero research into her subject matter and made it all up as she went.

    There's also one line in a Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys Supermystery that makes me cringe just thinking about. "Golden Folly won the Triple Crown several times". And from Frank the Brain no less! He of all people would know for a fact that a horse can only run in the Triple Crown once and that a filly has never won it. And probably never will. The book was written in '98, but something like that is very easy to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a real research nazi. :o) To me, there is nothing worse than reading a historical novel with dialogue that wasn't used during the time period. And I agree that even contemporary novels need extensive research. If we're going to suspend disbelief, we'd better be able to do it well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now, see, I've seen "Beamer" used many many places, but I have NEVER seen Bimmer used anywhere. I would not even have batted an eye at that one ... or at the Port Charles one, either. I mean, really, General Hospital?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that research should be a top priority for any novelist, no matter what genre. Sometimes it takes a lot of effort but sometimes not - I had one of those sit-up-in-bed-with-a-gasp moments when I was writing my novel, One Smooth Stone. Part of the action involves the use of a radio phone -something with which I was very familiar when I lived in the Yukon. But that was more than 20 years ago and my story was set in this era. I got out of bed right away and made a note to check the details - were radio phones still in use and if so could you access them from a cell phone? In the morning I hit the net but didn't find much so went to the source - I called an operator in the Yukon -she gave me all and more that I needed in a matter of minutes. I was glad I didn't have to change anything and could sleep at ease knowing I wouldn't end up with red faced embarassment about a detail that wasn't right.
    :)Marcia

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.