Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Monday, December 10, 2007

Author Interview ~ Diana Raab

Diana Raab, is an essayist, memoirist and poet who teaches at The University of California, Santa Barbara Extension. She writes a column for InkByte.com, an online magazine for writers, and also teaches journaling and poetry to high-risk kids in her community.

Her award-winning essays and poetry have appeared in numerous national publications. In 1992, her book, Getting Pregnant and Staying Pregnant: Overcoming Infertility and High Risk Pregnancy, won the Benjamin Franklin Book Award for Best Health and Wellness Book. It has been translated into French and Spanish, and is still in print.
Her poetry chapbook, My Muse Undresses Me, was published by Pudding House Publications in April 2007.Diana has been nominated for the Sophie Brody Medal, an award presented by the American Library Association to the author of the most distinguished contribution to Jewish literature (fiction or non-fiction) for adults published in the United States for Regina's Closet.

A portion of the proceeds from “Regina’s Closet” will be donated to The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention http://www.afsp.org/

For more information, please visit her website: http://www.dianaraab.com.

What book or project is coming out or has come out that you’d like to tell us about?

My new memoir, Regina’s Closet: Finding My Grandmother’s Secret Journal.


What, in your opinion, makes for a good memoir?

A compelling story that holds the readers interest, fascinating characters and an underlying message.

What are some of the struggles you encountered while writing Regina’s Closet?

I encountered both emotional and technical struggles. I had to dive back into my past and revisit issues that had been haunting me for many years. From a technical standpoint, organizing this memoir presented many challenges. My goal was to braid my life with my grandmother’s in a coherent matter.

What advice can you offer someone sitting down to write their first memoir?

Make sure your story has focus. Many people sit down to write their memoir and end up writing an autobiography or the story of their entire lives, forgetting that what differentiates a memoir is that it focuses on a particular issue in your life or is written about an aspect of your life that has value to others.

Tell us about your journey to publication. How long had you been writing before you got the call you had a contract, how you heard and what went through your head.

The journey to publication is never an easy one. Masterpieces such as War and Peace have been rejected more than fifteen times. These days, the average rejection before publication is about 100. I lost track, but I think this manuscript was rejected over fifty times. The best way to start to start seeking a publisher is to research publishers who publish books similar to yours.

Some publishers who took the time to read my work and wrote personal responses telling me the reason for their rejection, and some offered suggestions to make my manuscript stronger. I took all of these comments seriously. One mistake authors tend to make is to ignore the recommendations of those in the business. My manuscript became stronger each time I incorporated their comments. From start to finish, this book took about five years to complete. It has been through many reincarnations and revisions.

Obviously I was ecstatic when it was finally accepted for publication. It feels good when a publisher really believes in your work, as much as you do, or more.

A portion of the proceeds from Regina’s Closet will be donated to The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. How did you set up this arrangement?

When I decided to donate the proceeds to a worthy cause, my publicist and I researched various organizations. After narrowing down the ones of most interest I got on the phone. I really liked the reaction I received from this organization. They were very appreciative. They said that even though they don’t endorse books, they’d be happy to put it on the list on their website. I feel very strongly about the fact that suicide can be prevented and it gives me pleasure to help others.

In addition to your award-winning essays and poetry having appeared in numerous national publications, you published a book of poetry, My Muse Undresses Me… how did you learn to write poetry and how would you counsel other new poets to break into the poetry market?

Poetry came to me by accident. I was turned off by the way poetry was taught in grade school and found it daunting to write. I never took poetry classes. Yet, I was pulled into poetry after attending a Billy Collins reading while in graduate school in 2003. He helped me realize how accessible poetry can be. His poems told stories, similar to the ones I told in my creative nonfiction essays. The best way to break into the poetry market is to read lots of poetry of those who you admire and also to attend poetry readings. Send out your work to publications who publish work similar to yours.

You're an advocate of journaling, why?

Journaling is a powerful tool for creative expression and self-healing, and a way to help solidify thoughts in both our personal and literary lives. A journal can be thought of as a treasure chest of thoughts and anecdotes. It’s not only a place to collect ideas, but also a place to practice writing and overcome writer’s block.

What’s the best advice you’ve heard on writing/publication?
Write what you want to write and not only for market demands. Believe in your work. Be tenacious. Those who get published never give up.

What’s the worst piece of writing advice you’ve heard?

Write only what you know about. I would rephrase that and say, “Write about what you have a passion for.”

What’s something you wish you’d known earlier that might have saved you some time/frustration in the publishing business?

Agents are not Gods and they are not for everyone. It IS possible to get published without using an agent. I entrusted my work with two very good agents who really believed in my work, but they never placed any of it. I believe that authors are the best salespeople for their work.

What are a few of your favorite books? (Not written by you.)

I have so many favorite books that I couldn’t possibly list them here. My favorite book is usually the one I’m reading at the time. However, I do have a list that I suggest to others, so I suppose you can call these amongst my favorites: The Journals of Anais Nin, Catcher in The Rye, This Boys Life, The Art of the Personal Essay, and books by the French authors Balzac and Flaubert. My favorite poets are Billy Collins, Sharon Olds, Pablo Neruda and Elizabeth Bishop.

Do you have a dream for the future of your writing, something you would love to accomplish?

My daughter, Rachel Raab (http://www.raabstract.com) is a wonderful photographer and I’d love to publish a few books with her.

Was there ever a time in your writing career you thought of quitting?
Never. I live to write. It brings me deep happiness. If there is a day I don’t write, I’m not happy.

What is your favorite and least favorite part of being a writer?

My favorite part of being an author is the writing and revising part; my least favorite part is receiving rejections.

How much marketing/publicity do you do? Any advice in this area?

I do a lot of self-publicity. I send many e-mail blurbs out to friends/family and colleagues about what I’m doing and where they can find my work. I keep my website updated. I also have business cards.Writers need to believe in their work. When I was in graduate school there was an awesome short story writer who graduated the same year. He never sent his work out. He expected editors to come to him. This never happens!

Have you received a particularly memorable reader response?

I have received a few, but here is my absolute favorite:

“Thank you for sharing your grandmother’s story. One person’s story resonates for many others in a way that statistics cannot. Your research into the time Regina writes about brings her to full life in a way just personal memory cannot. It gives both framework and depth to an overwhelming story.

If you have inherited Regina’s drive and fortitude, you have been well blessed….Suicide, like any sudden death, leaves behind more than grief. I offer you my personal condolences as well as my literary admiration…. Congratulations on a huge and successful undertaking. I hope lots of other people will read and enjoy it.”

Parting words?

Do what you love and love what you do. Success will come.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting interview. Can't wait to read Regina's Closet. I am wondering if perhaps Diana has any interest in posting a rejection or two with Literary Rejections on Display. I am about to launch a series of newly published authors, review their books for a little publicity and also tell their stories of rejection. I think this will go a long way toward giving the rest of us rejected folks some hope and courage. Check out our sad little journey so far at www.literaryrejectionsondisplay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great interview. Having just completed my memoir, I'm quaking a bit, wondering if it's relatable enough. This is one of those books for which I'm hungering for editorial feedback.

    Congratulations on birthing yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat interview! I'm not familiar with this author and look forward to reading her work! I love her parting words! Wise council!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview. Love what you do. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would be nice if you would use apostrophes in the possessives. It would lend more credibility to your writing if you could master that.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.