Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Sunday Devotion- Who brought the good wine?

Janet Rubin

This morning I read the account of Jesus’ first recorded miracle—turning water to wine at that wedding in Cana. Although it was the first miracle written about in the gospels, I doubt it was the first miracle He’d performed. The way Mary acts when she finds out about the dilemma suggests she’d witnessed some earlier wonders. Perhaps she overheard the servants murmuring in the corner, perplexed and embarrassed. Someone had under-estimated the amount of wine needed for the crowd. How could the festivities continue with no open bar?


Mary immediately goes to Jesus and tells him about the problem, and I’m fairly certain she wasn’t suggesting He run to the packy. Perhaps wanting to show off her over-achieving child, she tells the servants, “Do whatever He tells you.” Jesus doesn’t disappoint his mother. In moments, He’s transformed water into wine. And not the discount-rack-screw-top kind of wine nor the kind that comes in a cardboard box, but the good stuff. In fact, when the master of the feast takes a sip, not knowing about the miracle, he pays the servants a compliment, “Every man at the beginning sets out the good wine, and when the guests have well drunk, then the inferior. You have kept the good wine until now!”


When I read this story today, it occurred to me that I’d never given much thought to the servants. How did they feel getting that praise? Pleased, I’m sure. Perhaps even proud. For it is always tempting to take credit for something that puts us in a good light. I wonder how they answered. Did they lift their chins and say, “Well, you know, it’s a special day. We wanted to break out the good stuff. Really spoil your guests.” Or did they shrug and say, “Oh, it wasn’t us. In fact, we didn’t have enough wine. We ran out a while ago and we weren’t sure what to do, but Jesus over there, He took care of things…”


Made me wonder how many times I take credit for things Jesus is responsible for in my life. My writing has a long way to go, but sometimes someone tells me that something or other that I’ve written has touched him or her in some way. I’m always pleased and encouraged to hear that, but it’s tempting to want to take full credit—for the writing, the message, and the blessing.


If I could see Jesus’ face when these proud thoughts come creeping in, He’d probably be wearing an expression of amusement, one that said, “Oh yeah, you’re really something, aren’t you?" And looking at that face I’d remember where I got the gift, Who gives me the ability to think and inspires my writing, and Who works in a heart of a reader to encourage, convict, teach, or comfort. Not me. Not me. Not me. I offer barrels of water. He turns them into wine.


Lord, We are your servants. Please take the water we offer and transform it into wine. Help us to remember to give you all the glory. For You are worthy. Amen.

11 comments:

  1. This is wonderful, Janet! I may not be able to turn water into wine, but the fact that my Lord even includes me in the whole affair is humbling... and wildly entertaining. God bless you and yours this holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Janet!

    I've never thought of it that way before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dayle emailed and asked me what a "packy" is. It didn't occur to me that it might just be a New England thing, but around here the place where you go buy beer, wine and such is called a package store. Never made much sense to me--sounds like a place to buy packages not beverages, right? Anyway, packy would be short for package store, as in, "I'm gonna run to the packy and get some wine." So, is that not what it would be called in your neck of the woods?
    Anyway, God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post, Janet. Thanks.

    Joy to you,
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  5. And that's where grace comes in. The fact that He takes our offerings of water and words and turns them into wine and stories that will bear fruit ... it's almost beyond comprehension.

    One of my favorite names of God is El Roi - the Lord sees me.

    And loves me anyway.

    Wow.

    Thanks, Janet. You always give me something to think about and be thankful for. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Janet.

    I'm always amazed at how often I can look at the truth and miss so much of it.

    Do you suppose it's even possible to plumb the depths of the simplest of stories or verses?

    As I was reading it occured to me how simple and complex the whole water and wine symbolism and depth really is. THE Living Water/Cup turns water into wine. And He allows us to touch His works in progress. Even mess them up.

    What a God we have. We are so blind.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful post. I know, I know, it came from the Lord, but thanks so much for being the open and willing vessel! This was lovely and I hope I remember it well.

    And no, we don't call a store a "packy" in Indiana. It's really strange but we call them "stores." Odd, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks all. Indiana? My sister lives there. You all call soda "pop" and grinders "subs" and say things like "dang." So cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Who gives me the ability to think and inspires my writing, and Who works in a heart of a reader to encourage, convict, teach, or comfort. Not me. Not me. Not me. I offer barrels of water. He turns them into wine."

    Wonderful. I've snipped this bit out to post near my computer as a heart check. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Lori. That's so touching!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, the story there... now I'm thinking of the servants... Great lesson, Janet. I love how you say we provide the water, God makes it wine.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.