Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Wednesday, October 31, 2007


We thought this article would be appropriate for Halloween. Seems this week has been ghoulish with this story on demons and Mike's "Good Vampire," and an interview with a well-known horror writer. Did we even pay attention to Halloween on Novel Journey last year? Hmmm, I'll have to check the archives. I can't remember. But since it is Halloween, any there are any true scary stories to share?












HALLOWEEN – AN EERIE READ

Halloween. Time for ghosts, goblins, princesses, pirates, witches, warlocks, and…demons? From a Christian novelist?

Author Tosca Lee says, yes, demons exist. “On the earth. In the air. In the heavens.” It’s that belief that caused Lee to pen the recently released, Demon: A Memoir.

But, just as this holiday itself draws criticism from Christians, Lee has had to handle critical response from the faith-based community questioning her beliefs. Some even wondered if she’d communed with demons to write the eerie manuscript.

“No, I’ve never had a personal experience with an angel or demon,” Lee responds. “Not in the visceral way that others describe. Thank God. I think I would have had a heart attack.”

The surprise success of her novel was enough to get Lee’s heart pumping. Her Amazon rank across all Christian fiction was in the top ten and her writing drew comparisons to the great C.S. Lewis work The Screwtape Letters. The Smith College graduate has criss-crossed the country on a whirlwind book tour in such cities as Boston, Denver, Atlanta, Los Angeles, and her home city of Lincoln. Yet time on the road is a welcome respite from the strange encounters Lee suffered during her writing.

“Things broke down in my brand new house. Mice infested it. The water turned blue. Smoke came out of my dishwasher. These were petty and stupid happenings that made me roll my eyes.”

Then, it got even more strange.

“My computer’s motherboard fried—I could smell it burning. I became more prone to anxiety attacks. My new laptop began to blank out in the middle of working on the story before I had saved anything. I was constantly distracted. While all of these events have practical explanations, it was the timing of all of them that made them a bit weird.”

Then came the fear.

“As the things that happened became both more subtle and distracting, I had moments where I actually began to worry about the safety of those around me and, at times, for myself. Yes, I know it may sound superstitious at best to anyone who doesn’t believe in these things. For me, though, I believe I was peering into a realm that should be understood to the best of our ability, but one that consists of opposing forces.”

Whether coincidence or demonic activity, one thing is certain. Tosca Lee is happy to be writing about something else while Demon hits the shelves for Halloween. Her second novel is about Eve.

“At the heart of these books is my desire to more deeply understand this idea of God, of good and evil,” Tosca says. “And of the struggle of the first people to grasp these concepts and deal with their implications. I write foremost to fill in the gaps in my own conceptual understanding of my faith. When a reader writes to me and says, ‘You made me see something in a whole new way,’ or ‘I never thought of that before,’ that is the greatest compliment.”

9 comments:

  1. Whoa. That's some deep stuff. But since way back when I read Peretti's Piercing the Darkness and This Present Darkness, I have looked at the world differently when it comes to the existence of demons.

    Tosca Lee's book has been on my TBR for a few months now, but the more I hear about it, the more I can tell I won't be able to put it down.

    TF

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, for one, am certainly glad Tosca persevered and completed the task.

    Demon is not only the best Christian novel I've ever read, (How ironic is that?) it is one of the best novels I've ever read period.

    Don't let the cover or the title fool you - this is not Stephen King in CBA. This is a Godly book, with great potential for missionary outreach. I say give one to all your non-believer book-lover friends. (It would make a great halloween gift)

    What do pastors like to say? If you ain't being attacked by the devil, you ain't doing it right. (Or something like that.)

    Great job, Tosca. I know God will bless you for the faithful completion of your task.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a MUST read!! I had the honor of reading and reviewing this book in September, and I was blown away!

    This novel will cause you to look at redemption as never before! It will be a powerful witnessing tool for some. This is a well-written, powerful book that will stay with you for a long time!

    I highly recommend this novel!!

    Kim
    berlysue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard good things about this books in several places. Better add it to "the stack." Thanks for coming on Novel Journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got it on my nightstand to read on your recommendation, Jessica. :o) Tonight's a good night to start it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of the most profoundly moving books I've read in a long time, in either CBA or ABA. Despite the fact that one of the main characters is, in fact, a demon, what really came through for me was the depth and breadth of the love of God. It did indeed help me see that love in a whole new way.

    As an added bonus, Tosca paints incredible pictures with her words. This book was a treat all the way around.

    I got to meet Tosca at the ACFW conference, and she's such a warm, open person. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of her next book, Havah: The Story of Eve.

    Thanks Jessica and Tosca for this interview!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This article reminded me of Frank Peretti too... Tosca, I hope you had someone praying hard while you were writing! You definately pick fascinating topics to write about. God bless your work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds as though you had some of the same difficulties that Peter Blatty had writing "the Exorcist," only you had the power of the Lord on your side. I wish you'd known to put on your spiritual armor daily (Ephesians 6:10-end of chapter). You can also take authority over the forces that come against you in your writing and your life. That was no coincidence, and I'm thankful the Lord protected you. If you should ever again be plagued by such difficulties, remember the words of Jesus: "All power (dunamis, same root word where we get "dynamite")is given unto me in Heaven and in earth. Behold I give unto you power (authority, different Greek word) over serpents and scorpions and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you."
    And also, "God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."
    Whenever you feel irrational fear, you can be totally assured that it is not from God.
    May the Lord bless you and keep you safe as you continue to write for Him!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.