Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Sunday Devotion- Crawl-ins Welcome

Janet Rubin


Maybe it's because I'm a writer, but I love reading signs and bumper stickers. Being a bit "wordy" myself, I'm often amazed how much can be packed into so few words- humor, cynicism, a powerful message. One of my recent favorites is the fishermens' twist on the "Got Milk?" slogan. They've got a bumper sticker that says, "Gut Fish?" Another all-time favorite of mine is the one that says, "What if the Hoky Poky is what it's all about?" (Thank God, it isn't!)


But it was a sign that got me thinking recently. I pass a chiropractor's office in my daily travels. They just put up a new sign by the road. On it is a picture of a stick figure person on all fours, and instead of "walk-ins welcome," it reads, "crawl-ins welcome." Isn't that great?


I thought it would be a great sign to put up in front of a church. People shouldn't have to have it all together to come to church. They come to be healed, touched, restored. Walk-ins welcome, Crawl-ins welcome, drag-ins welcome. Even the ones we have to carry in. Amen?


My pastor says church is like a hospital. You don't come because you are healthy. You come because you are sick and need healing. So we shouldn't be surprised when the people around us are bleeding and vomiting and crying. We should be glad they are in a place where there is help.


I have a terrible habit of shying away from the throne when I'm messed up, feeling that I need to fix myself before I can be with God. But Jesus wants to meet us right where we are. And without an encounter with Him, there is no healing. Are you hurting today? Get yourself to Jesus. Walk, crawl, or just cry out. You are welcome.

Lord, Thank You for welcoming us, whatever shape we're in. You are the Healer. May you sprinkle this message into our stories: "All are welcome." Amen.


Matthew 9:12 " Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick."

9 comments:

  1. Happy Sunday all. Just wanted to comment that I feel sort of weird posting "on top" of Dean Koontz. It feels like following up a famous concert pianist who just played something by Chopin, by me plinking out Heart and Soul! I'm still re-reading that interview...so good.
    Be blessed, Novel Jouney-ites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a worthy post, Janet. Rest assured that the Dean Koontz interview is in good company:).

    Have a cup o'joy,
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet… just thought this would be a good time to let you know how much I appreciate and look forward to your Sunday Devotions. Not only do I always come away encouraged to “keep on keeping on” with this writing life, your willingness to share so candidly about the things the Lord teaches you in your experiences helps me not to feel so alone in my own endeavors.

    So, while it is enjoyable to “catch a glimpse” of the many successful writers Novel Journey has been featuring lately, remember that they are merely wonderful guests. You – on the other hand – are family. The kind whose smile alone is often enough to encourage us all for one more week.

    Thank you.

    From one of your devoted “shadow readers”
    (who are many more than you think)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple, but true. Thanks, Janet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms. Graham,
    Your comment was the sweetest thing. Thank you so much for those kind and encouraging words. I'll treasure them. You blessed me. Yes, keep on keepin on!

    And thank you all:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, ha, Janet,

    I love the way your mind works.

    I'll bet Dean even used to crawl...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I'm reading this on Monday, but your devotional was just what I needed today! Thank you for this!! What a huge blessing!!

    Kim
    berlysue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. AMEN! You made me think of the story of the paralytic that got lowered through the roof to be healed by Jesus... drag-ins and carry-ins welcomed for sure!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your post.. and the "crawl-ins welcome" sign is very clever and nice... i thought rear bumper stickers are just about being funny.. now i know they also make sense

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.