Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Monday, September 17, 2007

Author Interview ~ Chris Coppernoll

Chris Coppernoll is the host of Soul2Soul Radio, an interviewer whose conversations on faith are heard weekly in over 30 countries, an American novelist, and the author of four books.

As an interviewer to prominent Christian artists and celebrities from Amy Grant and Michael W. Smith to Max Lucado and Sheila Walsh.

Chris is promoting his debut novel in a novel way, by establishing the foundation Providence Cares. “A major theme in Providence is how people can help meet the needs of others. For more information, families can visit http://www.providencebook.com/.

What book or project is coming out or has come out that you’d like to tell us about?


My new book is called "Providence: Once Upon a Second Chance." It's about a man, Jack Clayton, who makes a few big mistakes in life--just like a lot of us. But when he commits his life to God, there's a major turnaround. He experiences an amazing restoration and finds life greater than his dreams. Hopefully, it's a love story that will stir reader's emotions while they turn a lot of pages. Tell us about your journey to publication.




How long had you been writing before you got the call you had a contract, how you heard and what went through your head.

My story is probably a little different. A publicist friend of mine asked me if I wanted to write a book. He had a sense that I should I guess, and shortly after introduced me to an agent who liked my book idea. I found myself under contract a few months later. I've written all my life, but never really thought much about being a published author. Now it feels like the calling I was looking for, but didn't know it.

Do you experience self-doubts regarding your work?

Yes, I do. I don't feel doubt about my stories, or about the power of great storytelling to move people, but I struggle with balancing the right amount of narrative with dialog and description. I've heard fiction writers say their characters come to life and speak for themselves. When I'm writing, my plot lines, scenes, and characters all vie for attention. The challenge sometimes is knowing when each one should be speaking.

What’s the best advice you’ve heard on writing/publication?

Write what's honest, write what's true. All writing is creative writing, but fiction especially demands our integrity as artists. Be true.

What’s the worst piece of writing advice you’ve heard?

I like to emphasize the positive, so there aren't many pieces of advice I consider uninfluential. I try to listen to others who know a lot more than I do. Having said that, I'm not very open to counsel infused with a "it can't be done" attitude. Lots of seemingly impossible things can be done. If God gives us a vision, we need to get mobile.

Is there a particularly difficult set back that you’ve gone through in your writing career you are willing to share?



Mostly just the one that most writers experience, unconstructive criticism. I think writers need to listen to all advice that's helpful, but learn to let go of the rest.

What are a few of your favorite books? (Not written by you.)

"The Deep Blue Good-by" John D. MacDonald, "The King of Torts" John Grisham, "The Presence" T. Davis Bunn, the Alphabet Murder Series by Grafton, and "The Wind in the Wheat" by Reed Arvin. Great books to get swept up in.


What piece of writing have you done that you’re particularly proud of and why?

Right now, Providence is the book I'm most proud of. I think readers will enjoy stepping into the world of Providence, its 1980's culture story and its 2007 mass media story. It's a tale about God's Spirit and His love for us, but also about community and the intimacy of friendship and love. A coming of age tale for anyone who's made mistakes and wants a second chance.

Take us through your process of writing a novel briefly—from conception to revision.

I like to start with a premise, and usually mine have to do with human change. There are a thousand points of light hovering in the air above my characters. I just pull them down and string them into place one by one, like decorating an old house with Christmas lights. When it's done, I plug it all in and hopefully it lights up.
Do you have a dream for the future of your writing, something you would love to accomplish?
I want to find the time to write 3-4 books a year. Mostly fiction, but I have a non-fiction that I'm working on right now. I try to keep focus only on the next project.

Was there ever a time in your writing career you thought of quitting?

No, I enjoy writing too much. It's too fun, and I love the people I get to work with.

What is your favorite and least favorite part of being a writer?

The best part about being a writer is feeling the "snap" in a story, when it comes together and you feel like it works. The second best part is when you describe something and know you got it right in the story. My least favorite part? Not having all the time I need to make the story special. Publishers don't rush me, but too many things on my plate can eat up time. I have to be disciplined to find the time to write.
How much marketing/publicity do you do? Any advice in this area?

Marketing my stories involves a lot of my time, but I rarely think of it as "marketing." I just think of it as telling others who like to read about the stories I've written.

Have you received a particularly memorable reader response?

Yes, a few. Sometimes it's a reader who wants to tell their own story inspired by something they've read in one of my books. I think the part I like best is when the reader feels when reading, just what I felt when writing.

5 comments:

  1. "... unconstructive criticism. I think writers need to listen to all advice that's helpful, but learn to let go of the rest."

    Boy, is this a tough one to discern and I learned this lesson the hard way. I was shut down for months due to unconstructive criticism by a frustrated, unhappy, "almost-journalist major" person. Through this expericence, I learned to be very selective about who I allow to critique, especially in the early stages of a project.

    Where is their heart? Is it to help or hinder? What do they normally read? Are they my intended audience?

    On the flip side, I have also been stopped in my tracks by GOOD advice, trying to figure out how to apply it to my writing...and for that I say, bring it on!!!

    Both times brought forth jewels, but it is learning how to "let go of the rest."

    Thanks for this interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview. I like the idea of not calling it marketing, but telling people about your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I reviewed Providence, adn thought the review would run today, but it didn't. This is one of the best books I've read is a while!! Be watching Novel Reviews for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fantastic book. I'm excited about reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the premise of this book. I think we're all guilty of making a few of those big mistakes. Good thing God doesn't hold those mistakes over our heads.

    I love his comparison of his writing process to checking Christmas lights. That's so true!

    Great interview!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.