Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Sunday, August 05, 2007

Sunday Devotion: When You're a Blessing, Beware!

Janet Rubin



God gave you a gift. He wants to use it to bring you fulfillment and joy, and to bless others. If you’ve found your way to Novel Journey, you are probably using that writing gift. Perhaps you are a novelist or someone pursuing that dream. Maybe you write articles or devotionals, in magazines or online. I’m doing some of that.

One of the coolest things we can experience is the joy of hearing from a reader who says, “Wow, what you wrote really blessed me. God used it to encourage/convict/teach me…” How humbling. It is at those moments that we begin to remember that it isn’t about us, or getting shelf space at Borders. It isn’t about getting awards or doing book signings. And it certainly isn’t about the money. We are a part of something bigger. Kingdom business.

But watch out! Just as you begin to savor that feeling—that exciting idea that God is using our writing in a big way—the attacks begin. Satan might not bother a closet writer too much, someone who is too insecure to show their writing to anyone. But someone who is prayerfully writing and putting their stuff out there? Someone whose work is making a difference to someone else (even just a few people)? He wants to take those people out.

How he goes about it varies. He may whack you with fear or temptation or sickness or depression. He may try to suck you into feeling prideful, taking all the credit instead of giving glory to the One who gave the gift. He may try to convince you that your writing isn’t going anywhere, and that you ought to quit and take up fly-fishing or origami instead.

One of the reasons the enemy is often able to trip us up is that, in general, us writers are an insecure lot. We have a hard time believing that anything we are doing is important enough to warrant an attack. Despite our active imaginations, we have difficulty believing a real battle is going on around us, and that our writing matters so much. As long as Satan can keep us thinking that there isn’t a threat, he has the upper hand. But we need to find the truth in Scripture:

Ephesians 6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

The threat is real. Fortunately, we are not powerless against the attacks, and we are not alone:

1 John 4:4 You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.

And God has given us resources, like armor. Ephesians 6:14 “Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand”.


He sends angels to fight on our behalf. Psalm 91:11 “For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways”

God himself protects us. Psalm 5:11 “But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you.”

We also have intercessors, Jesus and the Holy Spirit, rooting for us. Romans 8:26 “the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.” How cool is that?

So be aware. God wants to use you, and Satan wants to eliminate you. Your work does matter. So put on your armor, stick close to the Shepherd, and be strong in the Lord.

Father,
Thank you for making us writers and giving us the honor of being involved in Your kingdom work. Please keep us safe from the enemy’s attacks and help us to seek You continually. Amen


16 comments:

  1. So very true. Thanks Janet ... and a big amen to the prayer. The enemy is real. I have the battle wounds to prove it. We need to be always wearing our armor. Great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on this one! There is a great deal of warfare in the life of a writer seeking to glorify the Lord. Fortunately, the armor that God provides for us is able to make us more than conquerors...

    Praise the Lord and pass the decaf, sister!

    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a writer, but a reader who appreciates the gift God has placed upon you. You honor Him in all of your writings - and guess what? You bless/convict/teach and inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, ladies. And Pat, you silly-- you are a writer! And a blessing to many. Peace all over you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet,
    Such truth you so eloquently typed and what a spurring devo.
    I like the part in Ephesians where it says we have a sword...I picture myself as that woman in Lord of the Rings, the last part of the trilogy, last battle I believe, who went up against one of the dark lords right after it attacked her father and WON!!!....the whole time she was fighting it I thought, are you crazy??!!!!
    If our sword was powerful enough for the Lord to use when he was attacked in the desert then I need to know I can win too. So, let's(I am completely not a writer, but...can relate)thrust that evil one through with God's word, as you did here Janet!!!
    I am glad to be fighting along beside you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Christa. Of course you know it isn't just about writing. You are blessing people through your photography, and Satan doesn't like that either.
    Okay, sheilds up, swords ready. Onward we go....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, thank you, Janet. I constantly have to remind myself that I am not writing for myself, but for the Lord. It is a humbling lesson. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I needed to hear that. :)
    God bless,
    Karri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janet,
    Another great devotional. Thank you.

    Writers are revealers, and the more we reveal about God's glory and the sacrifice He made for us, the more Satan will fire up the turbo-jets to divebomb our message, or us. It's a constant battle, and if we approache it that way, armed with scripture such as you mention, we can fight back. And win. We all know how that story ends: We win!

    Incidentally, Brandilyn Collins has a great piece about her own battle with the enemy on her website "www.forensicsandfaith.blogspot.com" under the heading "How I got here." Her testimony is powerful. And helpful.

    Thanks again for your insights. They're terrific.

    Sibella Giorello

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for reading and commenting, gals. Sibella, I've read Brandilyn's testimony; yes, very powerful. It's so good to know I'm not alone in the battle. None of us are. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fitting that I read this today on the day that I was facing an attack due to the subject I wrote about. But I feel confident, not really attacked, and I can see that God is willing to use me.

    One other Bible verse I would add to your excellent devotional, Janet:

    James 4:7 NIV
    "Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you."
    That's a promise that I find very encouraging. Satan doesn't rule over believers in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Janet,
    For the past six weeks, I have "stepped down" from The Worship Team at my church. Looking out over the sea of expressionless faces Sunday morning after Sunday morning had me thinking - "what's the use?"
    Earlier today, my Mom said that I've been given a gift and I need to be using it. Reading your post confirms what the Holy Spirit has been trying to pound into my head for weeks.
    Thanks for writing and sharing your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cindy, I love that verse. Thank you. Deb, I've been there with the "expressionless faces." That is so hard when you just want to have fun and worship joyfully and people aren't coming along for the ride. I pray you will be able to find joy in using your gift for God. Remember: you just do your thang; the results are in His hands. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Janet,

    Fantastic post and the timing for me is a message from our Savior. You write so well and the message is powerful. Loved it! Blessings, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  15. How true, Janet. May we recognize the attacks when they come, for too often we are blind to what is causing them. We forget we have any enemy. May we keep fighting, keep writing, keep blessing! :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.