Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Friday, August 17, 2007

Misha Stone - The Seattle Public Library ~ Interviewed



This begins a series of interviews designed for improved relationships between authors and the places that sell or provide their titles. We begin in the northwest and will continue on throughout different regions and cities.



My name is Misha Stone and I am a Fiction Librarian with The Seattle Public Library. I have been a Librarian for 5 years, and started out as a Children’s Librarian. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, got my undergraduate at Marlboro College in Vermont, and my Library and Information Science degree from the University of Washington.

I love fiction (obviously) and read voraciously, at least when I am not playing with my 7-month-year-old son, Blix. I like literary fiction, chick-lit, cult fiction, domestic fiction (women’s lives and relationships), biographies, and fantasy. I have a personal book blog that took a hiatus while I was on maternity leave that I plan to revitalize very soon:

Do you face any "get the book to the reader" obstacles that are particularly troublesome?

Well, one of my biggest frustrations with connecting books with readers is that a library is not a bookstore. More often than not, we do not have in just the thing that I want to hand to a patron. Often a reader wants something right then, and placing a hold won’t do. Also, the most popular titles have long hold queues and while the Library tries to keep a hold ratio of 5 copies per patron request, the wait can still sound daunting to patrons.

Another difficulty with connecting books with readers happens when I discover that we don’t own an entire series. For one reason or another, say if our copies got discarded after they fell apart, a book is out of print, or we never did own a copy, I often discover that we are missing book 3 or even 1 of a series. Additionally, it is common to find that we don’t own the entire series downtown and must request books in a series from other branches.

The other major difficulty facing libraries are stolen books. Every year a large percentage of our books go missing or are swiped from the shelves.

What determines a book's placement in the library (special displays/events etc.)?

In my department we try to rotate our displays on a monthly basis with new themes and layouts. We also have a few semi-permanent displays: Good Books you may have Missed, African-American authors, and Romance. We all select books for display for different reasons and with different criteria, depending on the display focus or theme. I choose books that look good and that I think patrons will want to check out. In many cases I look for positive reviews. But more often than not I browse the shelves looking for items that will appeal to a broad range of patrons.

As for events, the Fiction department does a small number of author events every year, simply because we don’t have the staff to support a larger series. This makes us more discerning in who we choose, and causes us to only want to put our time and money into authors that will draw a large audience. Some authors we have hosted in the past year: Sarah Waters, Joanne Harris, Anna Quindlen.

The Seattle Public Library’s
Center for the Book, however, plans many more literary events throughout the year and also organizes the Seattle Reads events every year.


Describe the decision making process for the books you buy/order?

Ordering is centralized at The Seattle Public Library, so I have very little to do with ordering. Our input is solicited for some reordering lists and our Technical and Collection Services department welcomes our suggestions. For more information on our criteria for how we manage our collection, our collection policy is available on the web site:


Of all the creative author marketing and publicity you've encountered, what have/has been the most effective results for both your library and the author?

Good question. I guess this can vary, depending on the author and book.

The local papers and radio stations, KUOW in particular, have done a good job of promoting our programs. We have also started podcasting.

We also are fortunate enough to have retired librarian Nancy Pearl, who founded the “What if All Seattle Read the Same Book” program that has now exploded across the country, and who is one of the most enthusiastic readers in the nation here in our city promoting books, authors and author events. I think she’s totally our secret weapon. She has that charismatic power that Oprah has to influence and make an author or book take off.



Of all the marketing and publicity angles you've seen – what would you suggest that an author not do or not invest in?

I probably have less insight into this than others might (ie. people much more involved in publishing and author events), but I guess I would say that online publicity is a good way to go.

Miranda July is a good example:


Create your own word-of-mouth buzz! Get on blogs, get linked.


Can any one set up an author visit with your library including self-published or POD publishers etc? How can an author begin this process with your library?

As for our department, we usually go through a local bookstore or publisher rep, so self-published just wouldn’t work so well for us. The Center for the Book, who organizes many more author events, may have a different answer.

As for how to start the process, contact your local library and give them plenty of notice. Library’s work much slower, in general, than other organizations and businesses when it comes to events.


Does an author's presence or availability to you and your patrons make a difference when ordering books? Are there any personal touches that you can recommend to authors?

Well, we have an abiding interest in making sure that we have a strong local collection throughout the collection. The Washington Book Awards is another showcase of local talent that the Library participates in. But presence or availability is simply less important to us, as I see it, than say a local bookstore. All I could really suggest as “personal touches” would be anything that makes you easy to work with.


What determining factors have you recognized among sleepers (surprise great sellers)?

Ooooh, great question. I think of any of the big runaway hits in the past few years, it’s got to be story. Readers want a riveting story that will just take them away, absorb them, transport them. Harry Potter did that, Da Vinci Code did that, so did Freakonomics, for that matter. That’s simplifying things a lot, obviously, but story is really the common thread.
I wish I had a more interesting theory to share.

What fiction genre is loaned the least in your library?

I don’t know if there is any genre that doesn’t circulate. Working at a large urban downtown library, I find that everything from classics to westerns to romance checks out. Readers of all kinds come downtown.


What fiction genre is the quickest to be checked out?

Urban Fiction (we never have enough and it is sadly a high-theft genre)
Cult Fiction
Mystery
Science Fiction
Horror (also high theft)

Describe today's fiction reader based on your observations.

That’s a broad question so I can only give a broad answer. There are so many different kinds of readers out there. Also, reading is a highly personal pursuit and tastes and moods change depending on where people are in their lives. Everyday I work with readers all over the spectrum: readers who will devour anything and everything; readers who are just rediscovering reading; teen readers who enjoy graphic novels, manga, teen and adult fiction; readers who only read “book group” books.

What I find in my work is that the readers of today want help finding the right book for them. There are so many books published every year, so many books on the shelves, and readers just want help navigating and narrowing down. We do this in my department through readers’ advisory interviews (library-speak for helping patrons find good books to read), creating booklists, read-alike lists and now online personalized reading lists, all available from our “Reader’s Corner” page:


Your loyal patrons value…

Personalized service. At our Central Library and at our branches, our regular patrons, much like in “Cheers,” like to go somewhere where they or their reading interests are known and remembered.


What one or two things could you share with NovelJourney readers that might surprise them regarding what goes on within the walls of libraries?

One thing that I know surprises people: we don’t get to read on the job!

Do your personal feelings or opinions regarding publishing houses, authors, genre have any bearing on where books are placed?

No

What can an author do to encourage their local librarians?

If I understand this question correctly, and this is a question aimed at how authors can get their names and books out there, then there is no better way than getting to know your librarian, providing copies of your book and hoping they suggest your work to readers.

What might an author do to make a local librarian crazy? (As in what NOT to do, of course.)

Oh, gosh, I wouldn’t presume to know. But being nice is always a plus.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks, Kelly. Good interview.

    Interesting perspective. Great idea for an interview series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this ladies. Thanks so much for the peek behind the library door!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a cool interview! I love libraries. When I turned 12, my mom would take me downtown (we lived in a small town) and drop me off at the library on Saturday moening. I'd spend the whole morning there, reading. Then I'd check my books out, cross the street to the drugstore and have lunch. Then I'd walk the 3 miles home, usually with 3 or 4 books under my arm. I lived for Saturdays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super idea for an interview. Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea to do this! Enjoyed hearing that perspective. And since my new novel, One Smooth Stone (distributed by Augsburg Fortress Books, BTW! ;) is partly set in Seattle, it was helpful in other ways!
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's right about word-of-mouth buzz on blogs ... get books in the hands of librarian bloggers, esp. ... that's one of the biggest determiners of what I purchase.

    Also, patrons: you have no idea the power you wield. Request a book and nine times out of ten we will purchase it on your recommendation. (Just PLEASE don't say things like, "I think it's called ... um, something about diamonds. The cover's blue, I know.")

    Tell us what books and authors your family enjoys ... we'll listen, and even recommend other titles you might like.

    Noel (children's librarian)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.