Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Sunday, August 26, 2007

In Praise of Bad Reviews

Mike’s stories have appeared in Relief Journal, Forgotten Worlds, Alienskin, and Dragons, Knights and Angels, with articles in The Matthew’s House Project, Relevant Magazine and the forthcoming 316 Journal. He is included in the upcoming Coach’s Midnight Diner anthology and was one of ten authors picked for Infuze Magazine’s Best of 2005 print anthology. Mike is an ordained minister, has led numerous small groups and developed discipleship-training curriculum for several churches. He and his wife Lisa live in Southern California, where they have raised four children. You can visit him at http://www.mikeduran.com/.






By Mike Duran

Disclosure: The opinions below are not necessarily those of Novel Journey. We haven't seen the movie and therefore offer no kudos or criticism. (No Ted, we won't disclose Mike's address (unless you provide five autographed box sets of the Black, White, Red trilogy... and let us interview The Mask.)


"In the arts, the critic is the only independent source of information. The rest is advertising." -- Pauline Kael, U.S. film critic. Newsweek (New York, Dec. 24, 1973).

If anybody should tell the truth, it’s Christians. So why is it so hard to find one who does reviews?

Next to a 1-year subscription to Netflix, the best thing for a financially challenged movie lover is an objective, trustworthy reviewer. I learned long ago not to trust Larry King. (Does this guy like every film ever made, or what?) Trying to build a book, movie and/or music library can be costly. So the last thing I need is for someone to tell me “Norbit” is a “must-see.”

But when it comes to honesty and objectivity, many Christian reviewers deserve a thumbs-down.

Take for instance the film version of Ted Dekker's novel, “Thr3e,” released earlier this year. Christian bloggers had been pumping up the film for a while, and there were genuine reasons to be excited. For one, it recognized a terrific Christian author who has effectively bridged the gulf between the ABA and CBA. But the film also marked the launch of FoxFaith Movies -- a division of Fox aimed at "faith friendly" fare. So “Thr3e” was an important event.

But was the movie any good?

I strongly believe in supporting Christian artists. But endorsing mediocre work often perpetuates a stereotype that "Christian art" is really just second-rate propaganda. We are viewed as an insular fraternity whose sole aim is to further our cause -- whether through film, literature or music -- often at the expense of those mediums. As such, Christian reviewers of said works tend to be myopic cheerleaders for their creative counterparts, implementing a radical double-standard and eschewing objectivity in favor of four stars.

I'm afraid that double-standard was at work with “Thr3e.”

After visiting half a dozen Christian blogs and e-zines that praised the film and gave it resounding endorsements, I was excited. Perhaps “Christian art” was making inroads. Until I went to Rotten Tomatoes which gives the film an overall 8% out of a possible 100% on its "Critics Tomatometer."

Here's a sampling of what some critics said about the film:


"This is one of the most confusing, horribly written movies I've ever seen..." Thom Koschwanez Seattle Post-Intelligencer

"Ultimately aimed at a Christian audience looking for genre entertainment with a certain sense of propriety, the film tries to serve two masters and doesn't quite deliver for either." Maitland McDonagh TV Guide's Movie Guide

"Suspenselessly directed by Robby Henson, Thr3e commits the eighth deadly sin -- boredom." Lou Lumenick New York Post


If Thr3e is any indication of what we can expect from the emerging trend of studio-funded faith-based movies, we may find ourselves wishing The Passion of the Christ had been a box-office bomb." Jeff Shannon Seattle Times

"Thr3e is r3ally, r3ally aw4ul." Phil Villarreal Arizona Daily Star

So whom should I believe, secular critics or Christian bloggers? For me, the answer is a no-brainer.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, you say. Art criticism is a subjective affair. Just because a book or movie gets bad reviews, does not mean it’s worthless or unredeemable. God used a jackass, for heaven’s sake. Why can’t He use “Norbit”? But someone who can't tell the difference between “Norbit” and “Citizen Kane” is either dense or biased.

And when it comes to “Christian art,” Christian reviewers are far too biased. Don’t think so? Then why do so many “Christian reviews” feel like puff pieces? An occasional thumbs-down goes a long way in my book. And maybe that’s why so many amateur reviewers seem so irrelevant -- They don’t give enough bad reviews. Instead, most Christian reviewers seem to feel obligated to give good reviews to their brethren.

I have some theories about this apparent lack of objectivity in Christian reviewers:
First, there’s a fundamental confusion about love and approval. Somehow, we think that a negative review is unloving. Yet Scripture commands us to “speak the truth in love” (Eph. 4:15). Speaking the truth can be painful, and is sometimes interpreted as vindictive and mean. But as long as we maintain the right spirit, we should be permitted to say a book/movie is boring, anti-climactic or uneven without being viewed as a mud-slinger.

Second, I believe Christians are so eager to see the Gospel advanced that we’re willing to wink at mediocre presentations of it. In other words, as long as a “Christian film” gets in theaters or “Christian book” is published, we’re happy. Meanwhile, artistic standards are supplanted by the god of saturation.

Third, many Christian reviewers are trying to break into/stay in the industry they’re reviewing. No doubt, this is a tightrope. I’m required to “speak the truth,” but if I’m hoping to sign with or stay with Publisher X, then giving X’s authors a negative review could be career suicide. So as a result, we’re left to bury bad reviews, abandon objectivity, and bequeath five stars when two-and-a-half would suffice.

About now I’m on everyone’s hit list. Hey, I want to see Christian artists succeed and a Christian worldview proliferate. But let me suggest that we would get more respect and, ultimately, produce a better product if the faith community was more critical of her artistic representatives. We need more bad reviews – not for the sake of being mean, but for the sake of being honest. Sure, we’re going to disagree about books and movies. It’s the nature of art appreciation. After all, “Norbit” probably does have some inspired parts. Just don’t try to convince me it’s the next “Citizen Kane.”

I’d love your feedback on this issue… especially if it’s positive.



9 comments:

  1. Brave post, Michael Rooney. I applaud your willingness to share your conviction. It's tough to give bad reviews to friends but I see the merit in what you're saying. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, Mike. I actually gave up my Christian book review site because I didn't want to sabotage my own writing career. I'm not sure how valid this reasoning is, but fear was enough to silence me.

    I'm usually a harsh critic, but I liked Thr3e and I liked Facing the Giants even more. Were they great movies? NO. Maybe I felt a personal connection which tempered my criticism.

    But with that said - The exact opposite problem exists for Christian movies. They will get bad reviews simply because they are Christian. The bias is real. The Passion of The Christ was not universally touted despite the fact that I believe it was a Masterpiece of film making.

    I also thought The Nativity Story was very, very good, but it got bad reviews from most secular sources.

    My point is you're half right. Thr3e wasn't as good as its Christian reviews, but it wasn't as bad as its secular ones either.

    Quite the conundrum indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honesty is always the best policy. Christians seem to be afraid to share their honest opinions and that is a real tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the things I'm love about Novel Reviews is that if I don't care for a book I'm reading, I don't have to finish it or review it.

    That said, I've found this whole book/movie thing so subjective it amazes me. A book I find boring or better said - not to my taste - I give to another reviewer, who ends up loving it.

    Who's right? Me or the other reviewer? And is that wrong of me not to express my opinion? I say, "No, it isn't." All books deserve a fair review.

    As always, Mike, you raise good points and start wonderful debates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I review books for NJ and others. If I don't like it, I just don't review it. I admit, that is the Chicken's way otu. I would like to see more Christian Reviewers be honest. Not mean spiritied, mind you, but honest.

    I say that, and I know I'm going to bawl the first time somebody gives my first book a neg review. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't read straight romance, it makes me gag. Ane is a chicken and won't read the rough stuff. I hate omniscient POV, yet I'm reading one now that has captured me.

    A recent ABA book I read for review contained far more religion than recently read Christian fiction from three different publishers.

    Subjectivity...YES!

    There is a fine line between being honest, saying what I do or don't like about something, and insulting readers who just might love it.

    I think the world is a big enough place for Thr3e as interpreted by the filmakers, Citizen Kane, and even Norbit.

    I hope that we won't be content to simmer in mediocrity and that we will continue to reach and grow, whether we are reviewers, authors, filmakers or Christians or a combination.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great stuff as usual Mike. And I couldn't agree more.

    I developed a philosophy some time ago that I need to tread lightly where the opinions of others are concerned. Basically, if I choose to own and ingest the praise, then it seems only right and fair that I treat the criticism (when it comes...and note I did say 'when') the same way. If I believe one, I must believe it all.

    Early next year I'll get to test this philosophy. We'll see how it goes.

    I sincerely hope that Publisher's Weekly and Novel Journey and bloggers everywhere say nice things about my book. But ultimately I just hope everyone tells the truth about it (knowing full well that the truth hurts sometimes). And that I'll have the grace and humility and resolve to not take any of it as gospel. We already have one of those and it's a pretty darn good one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe we should only have non-Christians review our Christian books. Then we won't have to worry about offending each other OR getting soft reviews. The reviewer won't feel bad about being honest and maybe he or she will learn about Jesus:)
    I mean I know it sounds silly, but the thing that makes it tough is that we're family, right? So for the same reason we wouldn't have a dad be a judge in his daughter's gymnastics competition, maybe we shouldn't review each other's books. Yeah, I guess it isn't the right anser though...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting opinions, one and all. We've been having this same discussion in the Lost Genre Guild group and most people agree with you, Mike. We want honesty and opinion based on literary worth, or at least temper the good with the bad.

    I know I've been guilty of both--saying something is better than it is, or being too blunt. Guess we all have to find that happy medium.

    I guess if it's God's will, I'll break into this business whether or not I wrote good reviews for all these years.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.