Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Author Interview ~ Kacy Barnett-Gramckow



Kacy Barnett-Gramckow has written numerous devotionals for various publications. Her novels, The Heavens Before, He Who Lifts the Skies, and A Crown in the Stars have been translated into Dutch and Thai and will be released this summer in hardcover large print.

Plug time. What new book or project do you have coming out?

While I don’t have a new contract (yet!) I have a number of Biblical fiction ideas and proposals floating around in my brain and in my computer, plus two that are actually going out to editors soon. In addition I’ve begun to research an 1800’s novel, based on a true story, of five Jewish children--one was my great grandfather--who were orphaned and adopted out to different families in the west.

How did you come up with this story? Was there a specific 'what if' moment?

My mother and I were looking through old family pictures one day--some taken in the late 1800s. I was delighted by one picture in particular, of five children--from early teens down to an adorable infant--scrubbed clean, neatly dressed, and proudly posing for a picture. “The baby was your great-grandpa,” my mother explained. Quietly, she added, “Their parents died soon after this picture was taken.” I also learned their parents--my great-great grandparents--were Jewish.

Naturally, I’ve pondered by these family revelations. What if my great-grandfather hadn’t been orphaned? Would I have been born into the Jewish faith instead of Catholic turned Berean-Baptist? And the most poignant question of all: What emotional and spiritual effect did this have on my great-grandfather and his siblings?

My research is just beginning and could take many months. Interestingly, I’m more daunted by an 1800’s timeline than I was by my Neolithic Genesis Trilogy era.

Tell us about your publishing journey. How long had you been writing before you got a contract? How did you find out and what went through your mind?

I started writing in 1985, purely on an in-law-inspired whim. At least I thought it was a whim. Looking back now, I realize the Lord is more intentional about my writing than I was--and He is also infinitely more patient. My sister-in-law, Kathi Macias, had become an editor; seeing her work inspired me to become a writer. My first published writings were actually devotionals, which Kathi convinced me to create.

Writing novels was not quite as easy and publication was definitely slower. While I was practicing on a historical novel in 1996, I was mentally sideswiped by the plot of The Heavens Before, which explores the Genesis Flood. I wrote The Heavens Before in six months. The contract, however, wasn’t as forthcoming. Editors, I learned, prefer authors with agents, and I had none. I finally signed with an agent in May 2003 and had an offer from Moody Publishers in October.

My feelings? Numb. This is happening to someone else. Later, when the contract was in my hands, full of legalese, I was frightened. Since then, I’ve learned that I’m not as independent as I believe; I have to have a family member (preferably my husband) nearby while I’m signing a contract. They don’t have to say anything, or even be aware that I’m signing the contract. They simply have to be nearby.

Do you ever struggle with writer's block? If so, how do you overcome it?

Yes. My personal writer’s block cure is to watch a historical movie. I watch the movie, dissect dialogue, study details, then return to my manuscript and dissect dialogue and study details in my words. Do they work? Is the scene progressing or is it stagnant. If it has become stagnant, I toss out the scene and start again. Chocolate and potato chips sometimes help the process along. If my sons are nearby, I’ll eat the chocolate and the potato chips together. You have to give your children things to worry about.

What is the most difficult part of writing for you (or was when you first started on your writing journey), i.e. plot, POV, characterization, etc?

POV. In fact using the wrong POV is often the cause of my writer’s block. Changing the scene from the protagonist’s point of view to the antagonist’s point of view is frequently the answer, but the one I welcome the least. Perhaps because I don’t relish understanding my villains as intimately as I do. It’s very disturbing.

Where do you write? Do you have a dedicated office or a corner or nook in a room?

I enjoy being a nomad. If the corner of our office area isn’t comfortable on a particular day, I pick up my laptop and go to the dining room table, or I grab a breakfast tray and create a makeshift work area in the bedroom.

Do you have a word or page goal you set for each day?

When I’m seriously involved with a manuscript, my goal is to write a chapter a week. I don’t set daily word counts because I find them too stressful. My personal schedule is too unsettled.

What does a typical day look like for you?

If I’m not at my day job, I plan the day’s meals, tackle a bit of cleaning, then plug into my computer. I write until the evening meal absolutely has to be served, then I return to my computer.

Take us through your process of writing a novel briefly—from conception to revision.


What? Do you think I plan these things? Seriously, I’m very seat-of-the-pants. Usually I simply dive into the research and scribble pages of notes, then branch out from there with a synopsis and the first chapter.

What are some of your favorite books (not written by you)?

Psalms. Genesis. Exodus, Leviticus . . . . As for books authored by mortals, I really don’t have favorites. I love biographies, dictionaries, historicals, mysteries, some speculative/fantasy fiction, and cookbooks. I’ll peruse almost any genre.

What’s the best writing advice you’ve heard?

Be persistent. Study your craft and be willing to learn.

What do you wish you’d known early in your career that might have saved you some time and/or frustration in writing? In publishing?

Writing takes time. And simply getting your writings published is not the end of your work. Marketing is the other side of the coin--a challenge that every aspiring author must be willing accept.

How much marketing do you do? What have you found that particularly works well for you?

I enjoy postcard campaigns and I LOVE online interviews. (Thanks for inviting me here, Ane!) I’m also becoming more comfortable with cable show appearances—as long as I don’t break the camera or cause the sound equipment to fail. I’ve joked with my publisher’s marketing director that I ought to arrive at all studios with a warning label plastered on my forehead: Can cause electronics to fail.

Do you have any parting words of advice?

Accept advice from experts and realize that criticisms aren’t personal. Editors love the written word as much as their authors do, and they want to offer readers the best story possible.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks, Kacy, for sharing your journey with us. I know the best thing I ever did was to accept the advice of my first mentor and then my critique partners. It's a great training ground for us to get ready for editors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Ane! When you're a writer, the training never ends. It's part of the whole exciting journey.

    Thanks again for inviting me; I enjoyed the interview. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the interview, girls. More great advice. I've gotten plenty of guidance and instruction from Ane and I am thankful! (even if it ticked me off now and then:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL - Thanks, Janet. We've all been there. You've seen some of the comments I've gotten from Gina and Jess. But better to be ticked off and press for the best than settle for mediocrity. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview! It is always nice learning about fellow authors.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.