Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Give It Away

By Gina Holmes


Malachi 3:10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this, says the Lord Almighty, and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.

I snapped this picture in the restroom of my son’s school. I’m sure they had good reason for bolting the toilet paper. If memory serves, flushing rolls of tp is a major source of amusement for school-age kids, (along with wet-willies, stink bombs and brown burning bags of manure).

Seeing something so basic under lock and key got me thinking about the things I’ve clenched tight in a hand which should have been open.

So often I have ideas that would benefit others and though I’m ashamed to admit it, my natural inclination is to hide these away for myself. Great phrases, marketing ideas, you name it. The devil whispers, “Don’t share that, it’s valuable information.” You want everyone doing it? It will lose its originality, it’s value.”

And then, thank God, I’m convicted … sometimes through others, sometimes through God’s word, usually through the Holy Spirit whispering to my conscious, “Give it away. After all, I gave it to you.”

I’ve been reminded time and again that I can’t out-give God. What I hold close does not bless me. It does not bless others. It is nothing more than a seed I tuck away, too greedy to part with. Too stupid to sow.

When I’m called home one day, I don’t want to leave behind a jar filled to the brim with worthless, seeds unplanted. I want to leave an orchard overflowing with fruit.

When we consider tithing, often we think of money, but should it stop there? Again and again in scripture the principle goes further than that. The fields whose crops were not harvested around the edges so aliens and poor would have something to eat for instance. It's not just about using our talents, but also sometimes giving them away.

We can’t out-give God. Test Him and see. That is His promise.
His challenge.

7 comments:

  1. It's such an important lesson, too, Gina. As Christians, too often we hold our friendship, our posessions and our faith in a tight fist.

    As writers, we often hold the things we've learned as secrets. We have to have an open hand. Give it away. It's the only way.

    Thanks for the devotion. It aligns with Novel Journey's mission.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't begin to tell you all the crazy ways God has stepped into my life in the past 2 weeks. We're talking God-appearances left and right... blatant "yes, Janet, it's ME and I'm here wanting to teach you things." It's been wild and this devotion is yet another one. Would you believe I read this verse (of all the verses in the Bible) this morning? It had me pondering all day what God wants to pour out to me from His floodgates. And here it is again. Thanks, Gina.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just sent up a prayer of thanks for abundance in advance of physical evidence, because I Know the Lord delivers. And this post was my sign that I have already been answered. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet, God's always doing that to me. Isn't He amazing? Ane, you remind me constantly to keep an open hand. I love that about you.

    Tinu, not sure what we're talking about here but I'll trust God does. May He encourage us all on a daily basis, to hold nothing but Him too closely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gina, This is profound. I remember as a child saving some watermelon seeds in a jar wrapped in a paper towel.

    In my mind, I had this grand plan of planting them someday. Alas, they sat on my top shelf and began to sprout inside the jar!

    It became an out of control mess with roots trying to find a home and seedlings going every which way.

    As a child I just sat and watched the display. Trouble is, I watched and didn't do anything and of course kept the lid on the jar.

    The end was a rotted mess and I had to throw it away - jar and all.

    Amazing to think that our gifts and talents carry with them life. Even confined, they will try to sprout anew but if the lid is kept on for too long ... rot. A waste.

    Thanks for your post - it really hit home with me.

    Blessings,


    david fry

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so timely for me, Gina. For some time I've felt God nudging me to give away my second self-published devotional, especially to women in ministry. I confess I held back, but have finally managed to pry it out of my hands (I'm giving it away on my website) and it has been such a joy! Who knew it would be so much fun! :)Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much David and Marci.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.