Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Friday, June 29, 2007

This past week, Bonnie Calhoun was kind enough to chat via the phone with me as I added PC protection and cleaners on my computer. (Alas, it was running slow.) She showed me new software to combine with my old ones. So this week, I thought I'd pass on the information. After all, we all use our computers for writing.

(And for those with Macs, feel free to leave a comment razzing us PC users. :-P)

Here's a good checklist for those looking to speed things up or test their virus protection.

To remove infections of Trojans, Spyware, Adware, Worms, Keyloggers, Rootkits, Dialers and other malicious programs
A-Squared has a free program.

This one is my favorite.
CCleaner removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history.

Ad-Aware 2007 free anti-spyware version provides you with advanced protection against spyware that secretly attaches and takes control of your computer, resulting in aggressive advertising pop-ups, sluggish computer activity, even identity theft through stolen bank details, passwords, and credit card account numbers.

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition is one of the most popular solutions to provide basic security protection on home and non-commercial PCs.

So there you have it! Hope someone benefits from them like I did.


3 comments:

  1. PS, thanks Bonnie! I've deleted so many megabytes since our talk it's not even funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bonnie and Jess. I needed that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best anti-virus software I've found is Avast. It has a free home version, and it doesn't embed stuff in your computer like Norton or McAfee. I've used it on the advice of my webmaster, for over 3 years. It updates daily, and I've never had one single incident. I love it and recommend it highly.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.