Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Friday, June 22, 2007

Happenings in the Book World

This week, I'm reporting in on the unusual.

Film.com has an interesting article on why they think books fail as movies. I'm not sure I agree with this one as there are lots of great examples of books to movies (To Kill a Mocking Bird, Anne of Green Gables, A River Runs Through It to name a few.) But they do bring up interesting points about the lengths of books and the lengths of screenplays. Their viewpoint on how book dialogue doesn't translate to movie dialogue was interesting. I know that at home I used closed captions just to "see" the dialogue. To read this article,
[
click here.]

Does anyone reading this own a tiny book? I've seen bibles about the size of a quarter in Cracker Barrel and my only copy of Alice and Wonderland is 3 inches by 3 inches. Apparently small books have been a part of culture for thousands of years. Check out this video:
http://wcbstv.com/watercooler/local_story_170101455.html

This week The Guardian had a report on the new online places for books. This article is worth your time (as is a visit to the links posted within.) [
Click Here] to read Victor Keegan's article, It's a new online chapter for books

This story is the most bizarre. A hacker has claimed to have discovered the ending of Harry Potter by hacking into Bloomsbury's system through e-mail and reading the ending of the series. As the article states he stated, "The attack strategy was the easiest one. It's amazing to see how much people inside the company have copies and drafts of this book." Supposedly the reasons were religious. To read this article, [
Click Here]

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jess. I have to disagree about To Kill a Mockingbird being a great example of book to film. I just read the book for the first time this year. Literally fell in love with it, gave it the title, "My favorite book."

    Then I rented the movie. I was sooooo dissapointed! There was so much missing in the film. Yes, yes, Gregory Peck is cool (love him in Moby Dick), but the movie just didn't cut it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I'll have to read the book and watch the movie again. I've been lucky enough to keep the two apart (meaning more than a year or two passes between me watching the movie or reading the book) so they always seemed like a good fit.

    Thanks for pointing that out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm...I wonder if I'd love the Moby Dick movie so much if I'd read more than the first few chapters of the book?

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.