Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Monday, June 25, 2007

Bane of the Soft Critic


Mike’s stories have appeared in Relief Journal, Forgotten Worlds, Alienskin, and Dragons, Knights and Angels, with articles in The Matthew’s House Project and Relevant Magazine. He was also one of ten authors picked for Infuze Magazine’s Best of 2005 print anthology. Mike is an ordained minister, has led numerous small groups and developed discipleship-training curriculum for several churches. He and his wife Lisa live in Southern California , where they have raised four children. Mike has written an unpublished novel entitled What Faith Awakes and is currently at work on a second. You can visit him at http://www.mikeduran.com/.




“I survived Catholic school,” or so said the bumper sticker on the car ahead of me. I had to chuckle because I did – survive Catholic school, that is. Nine years of it. In fact, not only did I survive Catholic school, I thrived there. By the time I entered the public school system in 9th grade, I was way ahead of my peers. Why were these kids so dumb, I thought? The answer was simple – they didn’t get their knuckles whacked enough.

Back then, corporal punishment was not politically incorrect. Not only did Dad freely use his belt when my grades dipped below acceptable, Sister Terence wielded a mean ruler. Gifted in the art of ear-twisting, she could wrench the lobe with such force so as to bring a schoolboy to his knees. Between the belt and the ruler, I found sufficient motivation to maintain my GPA. So yeah, I survived Catholic school, and I’m better off for it.

Yet, little did I know, Sister Terence followed me. Several years back, I was invited to join a critique group. It was my first. Things went well until I submitted my first piece. And there she was – lurking, ruler in hand, stern eye cast upon my paltry prose. She went by many names – Ane, Gina, Jessica – but she didn’t fool me. It was Sister T! Her motivation was pure and her mission singular: to make me a better writer. Nevertheless, this knowledge did not soften the sting. That first year was a carousel of knuckle raps and ear twists. Had I been a less seasoned soul, I’d have run from the drubbing, like so many do. But Sister Terence had my best in mind, and I’ve got the welts to prove it.

Samuel Rutherford declared, “O, what owe I to the file, to the hammer, to the furnace of my Lord Jesus!” Character is not without cost. Likewise, the skilled writer is one who pays the price, one who endures “the file, the hammer and the furnace” of critique. In fact, the better it is, the more painful and pointed. Like that ruler, good critique demands immediate attention and, in the end, we owe much to those who wield it well.

However, not all writers appreciate the hard critic.

Recently, a newer member of our group was offended by a critique of their work. From my perspective, the observations in question were not unfounded, nor mean-spirited. They were honest – blunt but genuine. Nevertheless, the author huffed off, hot and bothered, by what they perceived as non-niceties. And they will not be returning. It led to a discussion about the need for honesty. It’s better to give a hard crit, we agreed, than to be disingenuous. We can’t be stroking each other at the expense of good writing. In fact, one of the gals used this analogy: “It’s like asking someone how a new pair of jeans looks on me, and then being offended when they tell me my butt looks big in them.”

A bad crit group is one who will never tell you your butt looks big in those jeans.

“Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful” (Proverbs 27:6 KJV). Alas, how many Christian critique groups are filled with deceitful kisses? “You’re destined for publication,” says one. “Any day now,” says another. And the capper: “You’re the next Kingsbury / Grisham / Rowling / Picoult (fill in the blank).” No wonder so many authors quell at hard critiques – they haven’t got their knuckles whacked enough.
Perhaps we would produce better writers were we not so concerned about “wounding” them. Of course, this is not to condone nastiness and nit-pickiness, as though our advice is infallible. But the road to publication is hardly a cake walk. How in the world will we ever endure the meticulous bean counters and editorial boards if we can’t endure the hard critique of a friend?

“As iron sharpens iron,” said the wise man. “So one man sharpens another” (Proverbs 27:17 NIV). Clay cannot sharpen iron. Jello cannot sharpen iron. Iron sharpens iron! And when those elements meet, the sparks fly. Good relationships, like good critics, create friction. Thus, the best critic is the hard one, the one who doesn’t bend, the one who tells the truth, the one who grates against your rough edges.

And maybe that’s the divide – the divide between the hard critic and the soft critic, and the authors who gravitate to the one or the other.

While the hard critic may wound or offend, she also sharpens. The soft critic, on the other hand, strokes, placates and coddles the hypersensitive author. In proportion that praise pleases someone, criticism will grieve them. It’s no wonder that some writers are offended so easily – when you live in an echo chamber, contrary points of view are offensive. The writer who avoids “the hammer, the file and the furnace,” who forever seeks flattery, is doomed to mediocrity. Soft writing is the bane of the soft critic.

Sister Terence is not a soft critic, but she’s the best critic you will ever have. Yes, she will leave your ears rosy and your knuckles numb. But if you remain in that furnace, embrace the belt and the ruler, your writing will sharpen. Every good crit group should have a Sister T. Just don’t ask her if your butt looks big in those pants, because she’ll definitely tell you.


13 comments:

  1. Great post, Mike. I would not be the writer I am today had it not been for excellent, accurate, sometimes-painful critique.

    AND: let me add this. I will be a better writer tomorrow if I continue to welcome Sister T today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this speaks to the goal of the writer. Do they want constructive criticism or are they just looking for readers to give them compliments.

    The wonderful reviews that I receive from my family and friends can be addictive - but they must be seen in the light of where they are coming from.

    To join a critique group while not wanting to hear criticism is missing the point. I've never been in one, but if I ever join one - it would be with delighted anticipation that my partners could find the weak spots in my manuscript that I am overlooking.

    I'd rather a friend tell me that I can't sing than to hear it from Simon Cowell after embarassing myself in front of 35 million people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you had Sister Terence in your past, Mike. It made our job so much easier. ;o)

    What you say is true, though. Rhino hide is the first thing a writer needs to develop. And my first critter was just like your Sister T. Chris chopped my writing to pieces, but then taught me how to put it back together so it sings.

    Yvonne did it, too, and I'll never forget the first time I got a crit back without loads of marks on it. I was tempted to frame it as a graduation certificate! LOL

    Except we never graduate in this field. We'll keep on learning as long as we draw breath.

    But our group is one to cherish. It's been put together by God and held together by loving honesty.

    And I love all the Pennies. ;o) Even when I wield my ruler.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Mike!
    I went to Catholic School, too. I can relate. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments everyone! Dayle, I think you're right that the type of criticism a writer seeks, reveals their goal. If our goal is sincerely to grow, then hard critique will not only be bearable, but desired. It's just amazing to me how easily some writers whither from blunt, honest appraisal of their work. Of course, this is not to imply that all criticism of our writing is warranted, but that we should at least be willing to consider all points of view without offense.

    And Ane, I really do appreciate all the hard work you've invested in me. But really, you should replace your titanium ruler with something softer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the same experience: I thrived in Catholic school, and when I transferred to public in Junior High, I was ahead of my peers, and actually lost ground cause I had to rehash old topics in my classes. (Didn't study much that year.)

    And I think any writer who enters a crit group looking to be praised and coddled is a writer who has no clue how hard it's OUT THERE. Editors don't coddle. They'll tell you REJECTED. They'll send pages of revisions. AGENTS will turn you down flat and without stroking your ego so you don't feel bad about it.

    And let's not even get into reviewers. Reviewers seem to have this code that says, "I'll get more readers if I'm vicious." So, if you can't take a real crit, you can't take the writing life. Buh-bye. Take up a safer hobby.

    A crit group is supposed to be a gauntlet, a training ground, like the gladiators in Spartacus. Toughens you up, makes you work harder, makes you realize it's about the work, not about making you feel like the best writer ever.

    Basically, your crit group was better off losing this member. They didn't fit in. There are softer, cushier groups for them out there and feathers for the ego.

    Mir

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and my butt is huge. So, if anyone says it doesn't look big in ANY pair of pants, they are fibbing with a capital FIB.

    Mir

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mike, thanks for the kind words. I appreciate the honesty you've given me over the years as well.

    I too attended Catholic school for a short while. If ever a girl didn't fit in it was the protestant cloud watcher who was always getting the ruler. Literally. One year was enough to get the idea.

    Our critique group has done so much to mature this previously sensitive soul. If someone told me I looked "fine" instead of good, I worried about it. Now someone could say, you need to lose ten pounds, grow your ugly hair out, change your make up and wardrobe and I think I'd listen, nod and go home and take another look in the mirror and closet.

    Not that all critiques are spot on but usually ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a great post, Mike. No wonder you used to talk so much about us wielding rulers in your early days. I'd shudder too if I had memories of Sister T lingering in memory.

    As far as giving or receiving honest critiques, both sting. I hate to point out flaws, or flat out say 'this bored me' when I know someone has worked hard at it. And it hurts when someone points out your errors, or tells you that you're close but not there. However, when I receive a "good job" or "you've finally done it" from those who are honest and skilled in their criticism, it has lasting impact.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent, Mike ... and applicable to all areas of our lives. I wouldn't be where I am today if I hadn't submitted myself to the fire of a man with greater wisdom than I for two and a half years ... and then to continue to follow through day after day. It's not easy, and I know many who skipped out early on and wonder why they aren't any further along in their life, in their goals, etc, than they are. Yep, when that iron hits iron, sparks fly ... but if you stay in there, what's left when all's said and done is amazing and beautiful.

    Great job ... for staying in there ... and letting those Sister T's bust your hide and make you wish you'd padded your knuckles!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great thoughts. Too often in our lives and in our writing we are afraid to face the truth, but we need to in order to be better people and better writers. It's good to have a Sister T around - and to know that she corrects us because she loves us and wants us to do our best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been thinking a lot over the last few months about those words from Proverbs. Sometimes all I want to hear is nothing but praise, and yet I know that what I really need to hear are words that sharpen, and help me hone my writing. It's awfully easy to let my tools get dull. I've thought about trying to find a more intentional critique group, but just not pushed myself. Thanks for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha, Mike. Thanks.

    I remember the "Dance of the Adverbs" with St. Ane in the early days.

    You've wounded me to the quick bro, and no doubt I've stepped on a few of your dangling particples, or at least a ly or two.

    What does this apt analogy say about our individual and corporate walks of faith? A lot. Overall we are a weak society...and we want to be cocooned in softness while God wants to peel off our flesh.

    So thanks Gina, Ane, Jess, Mike, Janet et all for kicking and smacking me around. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.