Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Author Interview ~ Lynn Emery

Lynn sold her first novel in 1995 to Kensington publishing for their groundbreaking Arabesque line. NIGHT MAGIC went on to be recognized for Excellence in Romance Fiction for 1995 by Romantic Times Magazine. Her third novel, AFTER ALL, became a movie produced by BET and aired on December 3, 1999. Holly Robinson Peete was the female lead as Michelle Toussaint, an investigative television reporter. In 2004 Lynn won three coveted Emma Awards. She was chosen Author of the Year and her novel KISS LONELY GOODBYE won Best Novel and Favorite Hero.

A native of Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Lynn writes after work and on weekends. Flagging energy does not present a problem. “I began to write when I was eleven years old and I won’t ever stop. That tough little kid inside me who dreamed of holding her own book won’t hear of it. Let me tell you she cracks the whip!”

Plug time. What new book or project do you have coming out?

My current book in bookstores is Soulful Strut, HarperTorch, Nov. 2006. I have a website devoted to my fictional novels.

I don’t have a fiction book coming out, but I’m writing a mystery novel right now. Since this is a new genre for me I’m taking a big leap of faith away from romance/women’s fiction. It’s like starting over and I’ll have to sell it as though I don’t have a track record. Scary and exciting at the same time.

My recent book is a very big departure for me. Be Encouraged- Words of Sunlight For the Soul is a small inspirational non-fiction book that incorporates my faith with my experience as a clinical social worker dealing with people who are in emotional pain. Be Encouraged is available at
Amazon good news and inspirational commentary. A new feature is now interviews with Christian and inspirational authors.

How did you come up with this story? Was there a specific 'what if' moment?

I came up with the characters first, a twist on the amateur detective and sidekick story line. I first thought of the main Character Willa Crown and then came up with the character MiMi Landry who would eventually become her sidekick. The character and story of a recent widow came to me while I was watching television one night, a news story. Then I did a twist to it made her late husband actually her estranged late husband. From there I developed the twist that I hope will make this book stand out and sell to an editor.

Tell us about your publishing journey. How long had you been writing before you got a contract? How did you find out and what went through your mind?

I sold my first book, but I had been writing since childhood. Way back in 1993 I went to my first writers conference ever. I pitched the book I was working on to Monica Harris, the editor and creator of the Arabesque line of African-American romances. She requested the proposal and offered me a contract about four weeks later.

My call came while I was at work. In fact I had worked late, got home, hit the button on the answering machine then walked off to get settled in. When I heard, “This is Monica Harris of Kensington Publishing and I’d like to buy your book” I ran back into my office, played her message three times then jumped around screaming

Do you ever struggle with writer's block? If so, how do you overcome it?

I have had short bouts of writers block once or twice. I deal with it by resting, taking a break from writing and just indulging my passionate curiosity about all kinds of things. An observer might say I’m goofing off, but the wonderful thing about being a writer is you’re always at work. Without fail I’ve gotten fresh ideas or inspiration just doing what I love – reading, watching television, visiting museums, riding around looking at old houses etc. I love The History Channel, The Discovery Channel, Court TV and movies.

What is the most difficult part of writing for you (or was when you first started on your writing journey), i.e. plot, POV, characterization, etc?

The most difficult part for me is getting the editorial letter. I always dread it! I write this way – mentally I don’t consider what I’m writing as a rough draft. I write as though once I finish the last scene I have to print it out and send it to a publishing house. I don’t write and say, “I’ll fix that or change this or flesh that out later.” So once I write, edit, do revisions and send it off I have to mentally and emotionally prepare myself to make changes. When I tell you I groan and moan when those comments come back, that is an understatement. But I always make myself “get over it” because those comments are to help me write the best book I can.

Where do you write? Do you have a dedicated office or a corner or nook in a room?

I have a small home office set up with overflowing book shelves, reference materials piled up on a table in easy reach and lots of other stuff (and I really need to straighten this place up! LOL)

Do you have a word or page goal you set for each day?

When I’m on contract I write 5 pages a day, that’s my goal.

What does a typical day look like for you?

I have a day job, so my writing life begins when I get home. Usually after having dinner, watching the news and a few precious minutes of being a couch potato I start writing by 7 pm. I stop around 9-9:30 pm.

Take us through your process of writing a novel briefly—from conception to revision.

Sorry, I don’t have one process. I have a big folder of “stuff” such as news articles, catalogs and more that have planted seeds for future ideas. Occasionally I actually use this “stuff”. But typically when I have an idea I outline the story, building it as more ideas pop into my head.

What are some of your favorite books (not written by you)?

Love and Dust, A Lesson Before Dying and A Gathering of Old Men all by Ernest Gaines. The Far Pavilions, It’s In His Kiss (romance) by Reon Laudat, The Rainmaker by John Grisham. I could go on for paragraphs because I love books.

What’s the best writing advice you’ve heard?

Two things, “You don’t get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate” and the best way to sell a book is to write the best book you can. The only thing you can control in this business is the quality of your writing; everything else is in some else’s hands.

What do you wish you’d known early in your career that might have saved you some time and/or frustration in writing? In publishing?

In writing – I should have spent less time on promotion and more time keeping up with what other authors were writing. I became so busy with deadlines, day job and promoting that I couldn’t read nearly as many books as I had before. That would have made me a far better writer, the kind of writer I want to be.

How much marketing do you do? What have you found that particularly works well for you?

I’ve done a lot of marketing, interviews, appearances, etc. I can’t say if any one thing worked best, but I believe that a combination of a lot of the things I did helped.

Do you have any parting words of advice?

Yes, just to repeat that despite appearances writers only control the quality of the next book. Put that first because after selling it’s easy to get sidetracked by the attention, pursuing promotional opportunities and figuring out ways to increase your “market share”.

I’d like to say, “I did X, Y, Z and it led to a movie being made based on my books” or “I had connections and got this opportunity.” Not so. I’m not a Christian fiction author, but I am a Christian. God gave me the talent and passion to write. His blessings flowed from that talent- twelve novels sold, three awards, a made for television movie and wonderful readers who have shared how much they enjoyed my novels. What I have came from Him. It is his to take back, increase or change as He sees fit. I always remember to thank Him when I finish a book.

5 comments:

  1. Your words are so refreshing, particularly about God orchestrating your career. You're right. Formulas aren't where it's at.

    I, too, dread that editorial letter, even though I welcome it in other respects. Don't you wish you could write the perfect novel from the getgo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lynn, for sharing your journey. I love the cover of Soulful Strut. Now ... to read it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lynn. Controlling the quality of our work is the only real control writers have ... way to keep it in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lynn for an enjoyable interview. Interesting that you wish you had read more than promoted your work. Seems to be so much emphasis on authors' need to promote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary! I try so hard to write the "perfect" book and hear the words, "Gee, we couldn't find a thing to change. You're magnificent!" Uh, needless to say that hasn't happened :o)

    Glad you like the cover, Ane. People have asked if those are my legs. I wish. LOL

    Hi Gina! Yes, remembering what I can control helps steer me back to to the real priority- writing a great book.

    Hi Patricia! Thanks for the compliment on my interview. I know promotion is needed, but I got a little frantic about it back in the day. I had to learn the hard way that balance is the key.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.