Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Sunday Devotion- Late Start

Janet Rubin


I pause at my mailbox, arch my neck back and look at the sky. After spending the morning looking at my computer's moniter screen only one and a half feet away from my face, the cloudless exspanse seems impossibly far and I feel smaller than usual. Lost in my fiction world, I'd almost forgotten there was a real one outside my door- one smelling of salty ocean air that tickles my face.


The moon is still visible, a pale sphere in the brightness. I wonder at its presence there so late in the morning. It is as if it got so caught up in its nighttime revelry that it failed to notice that the party ended, the stars and planets retired long ago. So there it remains, passed out on a blue carpet until it awakens, blinking in the glaring light, comes to its senses, and rushes off late to work in some other land.

Inside my front door, I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror- hair still flying in the Einstein sort of style I woke up with, still in my wrinkled pajamas, feet in slippers. My Bible sits untouched on the coffee table. Like the moon, I've lingered too long on my morning leisure time of writing. Now it is time to move on. Cast my light on my non-fiction life of family and home. Later, after bedtime stories have been told and the dishwasher hums its nightitme tune, I will rise again, illuminating my fiction world. For now, I tuck in my charactors, good and bad, and bid them farewell with a click on the "x" in the corner of the screen.

Ecclesiastes 3:1 To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven.

Lord, You've given us the wonderful gift of writing, but that isn't all you've given us. Please give us wisdom and self-control and whatever else we need in order to balance the different areas of our life in a way that is pleasing to You. Amen

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Janet, that was lovely and poignant. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is good. I am trying to find that balance myself right now.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.