Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Author Interview ~ Carol Steward



Carol Steward never dreamed of becoming a writer. Now that her children are grown and flying the nest, she has filled the house with dogs, cats and writing books, and working at the University of Northern Colorado helping young adults reach for their own dreams.


Throughout all of the different seasons, God has continued to teach Carol to turn to Him. She has also learned to simplify her life and appreciate her many blessings — His gift of creativity, sharing her love for God with readers and setting an example of what God can do when we say, "Yes, God, take me, shape me, use me." To find out more about Carol's slightly crazy life and her books, visit her website.


What new book or project do you have coming out?

I will have several new books out next year. Guardian of Justice, Badge of Honor, and Shield of Refuge in my In the Line of Fire series, and in a continuity series with 5 other authors, In His Sights.

How did you come up with this story?

I have wanted to write romantic suspense for years. There were several events that came together to create this series.

Was there a specific 'what if' moment?

Several of them. One was an automobile accident where I hit a police car and flipped him onto the roof of his car. It was the worst moment of my life. And destined to make it into a book soon.

Tell us about your publishing journey.

I started writing in about 1991. I didn’t tell anyone about it for years, but when I did, my husband and my best friend encouraged me to keep working on it. About two years later I found out about writer’s conferences and attended every one that I could.

How long had you been writing before you got a contract?

Three years after I started writing I sold my first and only book at that point.

How did you find out and what went through your mind?

It was April 15, and the editor had been considering it for months. She called, and the news was a bright spot for my entire family.

Do you ever struggle with writer's block? If so, how do you overcome it?


Regularly. I just keep writing, whether it’s good or not. Eventually it’s bound to get better.

Where do you write? Do you have a dedicated office or a corner or nook in a room?




I have a small office in our basement. I started out with a portable word processor, which followed me to whichever corner of the house had empty space that week. Eventually when we got a computer, I commanded a corner in the “storage” room, aka “junk” room. Now that the kids are grown and on their own, this is “MY” office, no one else’s junk allowed.

Do you have a word or page goal you set for each day?

I hope to write 10 fairly clean pages a day.

What does a typical day look like for you?

I work at a university from 8-5, come home and spend an hour or two with my husband over dinner, stretch for a while, and get back at the computer.

What’s the best writing advice you’ve heard?

You can’t fix a blank page.

What do you wish you’d known early in your career that might have saved you some time and/or frustration in writing? In publishing?

I found that attending conferences was the best pro active step I took in my writing career. It gave me the opportunity to network with other authors, become familiar with publishers, and meet editors.

How much marketing do you do? What have you found that particularly works well for you?

Very little, because I am blessed to be with a company that has a terrific marketing department! I participate in a group website and I do speaking engagements to writers and readers groups.

Do you have any parting words of advice?

It sounds cliché, but I would encourage each of you to reach for your dreams and never give up until you accomplish them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.