Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Friday, April 06, 2007

Saturday, April 6, 2007

This past week, there was an interesting discussion on the ACFW loop. The topic was 'how not to look like a newbie' and it caught my interest. I enjoyed the advice that so many took the time to give, and I wrote a few of the authors for permission to use their comments.

"At conferences, don’t talk too much. I’m not trying to imply you have nothing worthwhile to say, because you DO. But as others have pointed out, you learn so much more by listening."

--Meredith Efken,
http://www.fictionfixitshop.com/ has an entire post dedicated to the subject. To read it [click here.]


"I just returned from Mount Hermon where I met someone I instantly knew was a newbie. During a meal, this person grilled me and several other published authors about how much we make. Newbies, DO NOT DO THAT!."

--Kathleen Miller Y'Barbo,
http://www.kathleenybarbo.com/

"When you’re in a conference environment it’s very tempting to always be “on” wanting to discuss your WIP at every turn. But we have to remember the editors and agents that are at the conference need downtime just as much as we do. If you see someone at the swimming pool or hot tub or even just taking a breather on a sofa in the hotel lobby, keep the pitch for later unless they give you a signal it’s okay to discuss your current project."

--Pam Myers,
http://www.pammeyerswrites.com/


"This may seem counter-intuitive but it's true. New people want to show how much they know and have practiced so they tend to spout off, alot. . . My husband has a marketing business and he said the person who is talking "looses". You need to learn to listen. You need to ask questions."

Tiffany Colter,
www.shoutlife.com/TiffanyColter

"Don't try to accomplish every goal in your career at one conference (or one 15 minute meeting.)

-Dan Case,
http://www.dancaseblog.com/

"I had some newbies come pitch me at a recent conference. How did I know they were newbies? Fancy art on the front of the proposal, colored fonts and big type, strange formatting. They might as well have worn a sign.

I told them the object was for their submission to look the same as the one being sent by the seasoned pro, the one who has no time for these bells and whistles. Things which were intended to make their submission stand out, did, but for the wrong reasons. A newbie should never hide the fact that they are short on writing credentials if that is the case, but it shouldn't be advertised either. If the submission is neat and clean and follows the submission guidelines EXACTLY then by the time the agent or editor gets to the writers bio and discovers that it is a first effort they are very pleasantly surprised, not going into the appraisal biased up front.
"

--Terry Burns, agent Hartline Literary Agency,
http://www.terryburns.net/

These were some of the answers that I found interesting. Thanks to everyone above who allowed me to quote them. I greatly appreciate it.

Any readers willing to share their embarrassing story about being a newbie or offer other advice?

6 comments:

  1. Last year at ACFW, I went to my first ever appoinment with and editor. Naturally, it was terrifying, but I was pleasantly surprised when I finished the interview and realized I had actually answered her questions without sounding like an idiot, had made my pitch without stuttering, and hadn't passed out. Intoxicated with relief and joy, I practically skipped down the hall and onto the elevator. "Well, that wasn't so bad," I told the man next to me on the elevator. "Not half as scary as I thought it would be." I looked at him. "Did you just survive an appointment too?" "Uh, well, people are signing up for appointments with me," he said. "I'm Steve Laube."

    Anyway, those are terrific tips, Ane. Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, I mean Jess. See, just embarrassed myself again:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing I see in new authors is a slight disdain for their state. Embrace your newbie-ness. Absorb. Acknowledge you're a learner. That kind of attitude will later endear you to editors when they take a pass at your manuscript. Be teachable and humble now because those traits are invaluable when you get published.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But in the midst of all of this, please remember that even newbies are human, and going to make mistakes (ie. the Steve Laube one), but please know (especially if you have a gift for writing) that editors and agents expect some of that behavior from a newbie. Be faithful to your calling, sincere, genuine, listen, watch, learn and you will be just fine! You will survive and THRIVE! And one more thing, never be afraid to talk (email) those who have blazed a path before you! Just don't wear out your welcome and you will be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry about what you think is expected. The truth is you're a newbie! You don't exactly know! So be yourself. Be humble. There are people at the conferences looking for newbies like you and willing to point you in the right general direction. We've all been there and many of us consider ourselves to still be newbies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't worry about what you think is expected. The truth is you're a newbie! You don't exactly know! So be yourself. Be humble. There are people at the conferences looking for newbies like you and willing to point you in the right general direction. We've all been there and many of us consider ourselves to still be newbies!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.