Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Author Interview ~ Lynn Austin

Lynn Austin resigned from teaching to write full-time in 1992. Since then she has published twelve novels. Three of her historical novels, Hidden Places, Candle in the Darkness, and Fire by Night have won Christy Awards in 2002, 2003, and 2004 for excellence in Christian Fiction. Fire by Night was also one of only five inspirational fiction books chosen by Library Journal for their top picks of 2003, and All She Ever Wanted was chosen as one of the five inspirational top picks of 2005.




(Interview conducted by Kelly Klepfer)


What book or project is coming out or has come out that you’d like to tell us about?

The novel I just finished writing is called “A Proper Pursuit.” It takes place in Chicago in 1893 when society was changing from the Victorian era to the age of modern inventions. My heroine, Violet Hayes, is a very imaginative and unconventional young woman who is wrestling with her limited choices as a proper young lady. I decided to write a light-hearted (and I hope amusing) story because I wanted a change from my usual historical fiction. The novel will be released in September 2007.


Tell us about your journey to publication. How long had you been writing before you got the call you had a contract, how you heard and what went through your head.

I started writing after my third child was born in 1984. I was a stay-at-home mom living in Canada, so writing was my creative outlet. I began with the novel now entitled “Gods & Kings.” I simply set up my typewriter one day and began to work while the kids played at my feet. By the time that baby was ready for kindergarten, I had completed the book and I began sending it away and receiving rejections. Finally, one publisher became interested, and held the manuscript for nearly a year. I was very hopeful, but when they finally rejected it I became so discouraged I quit writing and accepted a teaching job.




Eventually, my family relocated in the U.S. and I began sending the manuscript to publishers again. In the meantime, I honed my writing skills (and earned a little money) by writing magazine articles and doing a column for “The Christian Reader.”




Once again, a publisher said they were interested and held the book for nearly a year while they considered it.


I happened to be grocery shopping when the phone call came, saying that I had a book contract. My children took the message, and they were so excited for me that they decided to decorate the house with banners and posters, announcing the good news. When I came home from shopping I could hardly believe what they were saying. I had to phone the editor back and hear the good news for myself. Then I began thanking and praising God. The book was published in 1995, eleven years after I began writing it.


Do you still experience self-doubts regarding your work?

Yes—every time I start a new book and every time I finish one (and sometimes in between!) I always think: “I can’t write a book!” especially when I’m in the beginning stages. I have to talk myself into writing by saying, “You don’t have to write an entire book today; just write one scene.”


I also have a lot of insecurities when I’m finished. I always hold my breath, hoping the story is okay, until my editor and several family members and friends have read the manuscript and have pronounced it “good.”

What mistakes have you made while seeking publication?

I gave up writing when I became discouraged and took a fulltime teaching job. Then I realized that I was only a failure if I quit trying. I probably would have been published sooner if I had persevered instead of pouring my energy into a very stressful job that didn’t suit my gifts at all.


What’s the best advice you’ve heard on writing/publication?


Follow your passion when deciding what to write. Write the kind of book that you would like to read.

What’s the worst piece of writing advice you’ve heard?


“Study the markets, find out what publishers are looking for, and write that kind of book.” It doesn’t work. Your lack of passion for the subject or genre will leak through.

What’s something you wish you’d known earlier that might have saved you some time/frustration in the publishing business?


I wish I’d known that the struggle to get published is only the beginning. I thought that once I found a publisher, they would sell thousands of books for me and I would be on my way.


But the biggest hurdle is getting readers to actually buy your books, especially when you are unknown.


There are so many factors that contribute to whether or not a book sells—and most of them are out of a writer’s control. It takes patience (and good writing) to become known.


Do you have a scripture or quote that has been speaking to you lately?

“He who speaks on his own does so to gain honor for himself, but he who works for the honor of the One who sent him is a man of truth; there is nothing false about him.” John 7:18


Is there a particularly difficult set back that you’ve gone through in your writing career you are willing to share?

My first six books were published by a small company that didn’t have a very large sales force. Needless to say, I didn’t sell very many copies. I was very discouraged when the books eventually went out of print. I had to look for a new publisher and it was like starting all over again from scratch.

What are a few of your favorite books? (Not written by you.)

Some of my favorite authors are Rosamunde Pilcher (“The Shell Seekers”), Maeve Binchy (“Copper Beech”), Barbara Kingsolver (“Bean Trees”), Geraldine Brooks (“March”), Anne Perry (“The Face of a Stranger”), Anne Rivers Siddons (“Outer Banks”).

What piece of writing have you done that you’re particularly proud of and why?

My novel “Hidden Places.” It was made into a Hallmark movie starring actress Shirley Jones. I had the honor of meeting her during the filming and gave her a copy of the book. She recently told me that it was a beautiful story. Miss Jones won an Emmy nomination for her performance as Aunt Batty.

Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?

My pet peeve is the way in which the “bestseller” lists are tabulated. They don’t count actual sales as reported by the publishing houses, but only the sales reports from certain, select bookstore chains. I think the term “bestseller” would be more accurate if they included sales figures from other sources such as book clubs, Amazon, and a publisher’s own direct sales in their statistics. In other words, how many copies of the book have actually sold.


Can you give us a view into a typical day of your writing life?

I start my mornings with a trip to the gym at least twice a week, followed by my personal quiet time. I spend this time reading the Bible, praying, and reading non-fiction works by some of my favorite Christian authors. Then I go to work in my home office. I usually check my e-mail and take care of any unfinished business, then start writing where I left off the day before.




I will re-read the last chapter or two and then move forward into whatever happens next in my story. I will work until my husband comes home at 5 o’clock, taking a lunch break somewhere in the middle. I’ll also check my e-mail again in the afternoon if I’m procrastinating. If I am close to my deadline, I will often return to my desk and write some more after eating supper, working until I’ve completed my quota of pages. I only work Monday through Friday (with an occasional Saturday thrown in if my husband is busy elsewhere). I always take Sunday off.


If you could choose to have one strength of another writer, what would it be and from whom?


I wish that writing descriptions came easier for me. I have to work at it. Anne Rivers Siddons, Anne Perry and Rosamunde Pilcher are all excellent at this.


Do you have a dream for the future of your writing, something you would love to accomplish?

I would like to write Christian fiction in such a way that non-Christians would be attracted to it and would read my books (and, of course, come to faith!).

What is your favorite and least favorite part of being a writer?

My favorite part of being a writer is living in my imagination, making up stories, and creating new characters. It’s like being a child again and playing make-believe all day. I get to decide who lives and who dies, who lives happily-ever-after and who doesn’t. I can make believe I am all sorts of different people, men and women, old and young, and “live” new and exciting lives—and I get paid to do it!



I often say that the hardest thing about being a writer is the chair. Sometimes it is very hard to stay seated and work when life is going on all around me. My deadlines have come in January for the past several books, which means I am usually hard at work during the Christmas holidays when my husband and children are home—having fun without me! Being self-employed and working at home takes a great deal of discipline, which I often find very difficult.

How much marketing do you do? Any advice in this area?

I will do radio interviews, book signings and any other marketing opportunities that my publisher finds for me, but I rarely do any marketing projects on my own. I feel that my time is better spent writing the best book I possibly can. I have never been any good at sales—I couldn’t even sell Girl Scout cookies when I was a kid—and self-promotion just isn’t my thing. I do speak at retreats and other events, but my speaking topics aren’t related to my novels at all. I have my books for sale at these events, but they aren’t my main reason for speaking; I enjoy sharing the Gospel.

You’ve won three Christy Awards. Many Christian novelists name you as an encouragement in their writing careers. Share your thoughts on these “successes” and the difference they’ve made in your own life and writing career.


I approach my writing with the attitude that God is my boss and I’m working hard, doing my very best to serve Him. I am a slow writer, writing only one book a year, because I want to make it the very best that it can be. When I won each Christy Award, I felt as though God was smiling down on me, saying “Well done.” The awards were a huge honor to me because there are so many excellent authors and so many wonderful books to choose among.




I honestly don’t think of the term “successful” when talking about my writing career. My goal has always been to write a book that will make a difference in someone’s life. I feel “successful” if I hear from a reader that this is true. If I start looking at awards or sales figures or good reviews to gauge my success, I will soon get off track. For me, success is all about using my talents to serve God.


What would you write if there were no rules, barriers, or limitations in CBA?

I have never felt any barriers or limitations with my writing. I write the kind of books I love to read and they seem to fit perfectly in the CBA market. I do like to try new things with my writing (a lighter, more humorous tone with “A Proper Pursuit,” for example), so I won’t rule out anything unusual in the future.

If you could live in any time period, any location – what would you choose?

Probably America in the late 1800’s. I would love to be able to wear long dresses with beautiful, swishing skirts and ride around in horse-drawn carriages.

Who is your all-time favorite fictional character and why?

I would have to say Jo in “Little Women.” Like her, I also grew up as the middle sister in a family of girls (there were only three in my family, however.) I think I was a lot like her in that I always lived in my imagination and was always making up stories and writing plays. I admired her willingness to be unconventional (and unladylike) and to follow her dream of writing.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for this fabulous interview. Ms. Austin is one of my favorite authors. I'm really looking forward to read A PROPER PURSUIT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a really enjoyable interview. Lyn, I appreciate your candor and the fact that you acknowledge the stress of staying in the chair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview ladies. I like your attitude Lynn of just giving the best you got and trusting God in the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading this interview. The great thing about all these interviews is that it reminds me that the authors who have "made it," are regular people. THis gives me hope. Very encouraging and inspiring stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inspiring! Thanks for sharing, Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynn,

    Your words continue to inspire.

    I want to thank you for the time you poured into by answering the many questions we tossed at you.

    You were so approachable and gracious, I enjoyed our interactions and was blessed by your answers and sweet attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun interview! Thanks, Lynn, for sharing your publication story. It's an encouragement to me to hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynn,
    You have been one of my biggest inspirations. I was happy to be able to tell you that in person last year at WTP. Thank you so much for inspiring writers. God has given you this gift along with the gift of writing.

    You didn't mention that your children were playing a song when you arrived home from grocery shopping that day: I Wanna Be a Paperback Writer!! Love that story!

    Blessings,
    Cindy Thomson
    Author of Brigid of Ireland

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.